Los Campesinos! -- WE ARE BEAUTIFUL, WE ARE DOOMED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, that's a downer and pretty hard to believe. That UK release of We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed was stuffed to the gills, and that only took like two months to ready. Bah.

I just woke up to find this dreadful e-mail in my inbox...

"This is a difficult announcement to have to write, and one we'd have hoped we'd never need to, but it with a heavy heart we in Los Campesinos! need to announce the forthcoming departure of Aleks Campesinos! from our number.

After three years of LC!, in an incredible journey that has gone from inaudible student union side room gigs to playing infront of thousands in Caracas city centre; Aleks is now, as she always intended, departing the band in order to return to her studies.

In many ways, it would be great if there had been some falling out in the band and that Aleks couldn't bear to tour with us anymore, but that couldn't be further from the truth. We're all better, closer friends now than we've ever been, and this makes the decision tougher on both Aleks, and the other six of us. We've always been very pragmatic when thinking about the future for Los Campesinos!, and it is at this point that Aleks has decided her future does not reside in flogging this LC! nonsense any longer. Though she will remain a Campesinos! for eternity. There's no escaping that.

It shouldn't need saying, and perhaps it almost seems insensitive, but it's inevitable news of this nature will cause tongues to wag, so it's best to confirm that Los Campesinos! will continue as a band, stronger and more united than ever. Though this news is being announced only now, it's something we as a band have been aware of, and preparing for, for the past year. The individual joining the band to take on Aleks' duties, and more, has been a friend of the band for a long time and though we are understandably maudlin, nay, heartbroken, this is coupled with a great excitement for what we intend to go on and achieve in the near and distant future.

In the meantime, we are finishing up Aleks' final record with the band, and can announce her final LC! shows - a US Tour, taking place in August. Taking in our biggest indoor shows to date, as well as a happy return to the site of our first US show (Lollapalooza), we navigate parts of America previously unchartered by us, before Aleks' very last shows come with a weekend in the California sun. The girl will go out in fuckin style; we will make completely sure of that"
Writing on the band blog as well Aleks said

"I'm not sure I can really find the right words to express how I feel about leaving the band. The past 3 years have given me some of the best times of my life full of incredible experiences and wonderful people. I am really grateful to have been a part of the Los Campesinos! story. I'm going to miss so much about the whole thing."

Tickets for the newly announced US dates will go on sale on June 5th. Support on all shows will come from Girls.

August
04 - Webster Hall, New York NY
05 - 9:30 Club, Washington DC
06 - Grog Shop, Cleveland OH
07 - Spin Nightclub, Indianapolis IN
08 - Lollapalooza, Chicago IL
11 - Firebird, St. Louis MO
12 - Record Bar, Kansas City MO
14 - Emos Outside, Austin TX
15 - Granada Theatre, Dallas TX
16 - Warehouse (Studio), Houston TX
19 - Launchpad, Albuquerque NM
20 - Club Congress, Tucson AZ
21 - El Rey Theatre, Los Angeles CA
22 - Glass House, Pomona CA
23 - Detroit Bar, Costa Mesa CA
28 - Outside Lands Festival, San Francisco CA
29 - Street Scene, San Dietgo CA

LC! x

Context:

http://loscampesinos.com/

Well it is indeed sad news, but at least she'll be on the new record. And to top that, it looks like several of us will be able to see them on her final tour dates:

07 - Spin Nightclub, Indianapolis IN - (Zoney)
08 - Lollapalooza, Chicago IL - (Shouter and NSW, plus I bet they announce an aftershow)
14 - Emos Outside, Austin TX - (happy two days after my birthday to me)
21 - El Rey Theatre, Los Angeles CA - (Laz gets one more stab at hitting on her)

Silver linings!

I'm only prevented from jumping out my window (which truthfully is at ground level) by the news of them coming back to play in the Los Angeles area. I may very well be attending the El Rey, Pomona, and Costa Mesa shows.

And this new chick better be hot.

Until then, I will be transferring my affections to Harriet.

Yeah, seriously. Of course she's hot, but I'm mostly (ie, only) concerned with losing her vocals. I take some comfort in knowing that they will announce somebody to take her place, but I am, at the same time, pretty sure that it just won't be quite the same. Very unfortunate, this.

Good for her, though, on the whole finishing school thing. That's a lot more stable than being in some almost moderately successful band, I'm sure. Most of them still list their parents' homes as permanent addresses, as far as I know.

For tax purposes, of course! I'd never (publicly mention that I tried desperately to) find out any of their addresses...!

I really don't know what to think. The contrast of her vocals with Gareth's were a HUGE part of what made them enjoyable for me. Sorta worried I won't enjoy the band much without her.

One of my friends said she wasn't that upset about the news because she didn't think Aleks' voice was that great.

I then asked her if she'd ever tried picking up her teeth with broken fingers.

That's unfortunate, but at least you can hit TV on the Radio supported by the ever so hot Caroline P. (Chairlift).

Here's to hoping ACL gets decent aftershows. Had to eat my Okkervil River + Man Man ticket last year. Not happy about it.

I look forward to finally seeing these cats at Lolla.

3613411917_dfbe7839d1_o.gif

I just wanted to again say how much I love the second verse to It's Never That Easy Though, Is It? (Song For The Other Kurt):

As if I walked into the room to see my ex-girlfriend
(who by the way I'm still in love with!)
Sucking the face of some pretty boy, with my favourite band's most popular song
in the background.
Is it wrong that I can't decide which bothers me most?
In the forefront
of my mind is a thought not of you underneath but me coming out looking worse.

I really wish that I weren't in dire poverty, so that I could afford to see these guys at Lollapalooza. Shit lineup, yeah, but way shittier when you realize that Los Campesinos! don't have an aftershow. Fuckin' Thievery Corporation has an aftershow, and LC! doesn't. Absolute bullshit.

Thievery Corporation sells boatloads of albums worldwide, so there's that.

Her final shows are happening, these days. Gonna be a sad, sad, sad world, without her. I would die to be with this woman (no, not Riot GRRRTH):

YouTube - The International Tweexcore Underground

What the hell do you call that look? The primary colors, the arm coverings, the skuzzy jean skirt? Seriously. I want to put a name to whatever that perfection is. Sigh.

She's hot, but she's no Annie.

Did I ever mention I was able to get Hold On Now Youngster at an extremely discounted price due to spine damage? Well, that happened.

Back
Top Bottom