Los Campesinos! -- WE ARE BEAUTIFUL, WE ARE DOOMED - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #91
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:38 AM
Hmmm... just listened. Nice little album. Simple but powerful
Several songs here could fit really well on Pixies' Doolittle and others on The Ting Tings' We Started Nothing, and I can't think of a better compliment for a band like this. Actually, it could be said that it's a mix of those bands. Ok, LC! and TTT released their debuts at the same year, so I doubt there's any influence on each other, I'm just making a comparision. Anyway, Pixies seems to be the real influence here, maybe The Kills a little. Ok, I don't think they're really original, but it's always nice to see a band doing these kind of songs. If I had to rate the album, I would probably gave it a 7/10, and it seems to be a grower.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:38 PM
I think that I'll have to take issue with the Pixies thing, but I've never heard a song by The Ting Tings. Turned off their Glasto set about 30 seconds in, and fastforwarded to something else. Their name sure sounds like Los Campesinos!'s music sounds, so I'm willing to bet that you're spot-on. What kind of stuff do they do?

If I had to spot the influences with this band, the first stop would be Pavement (at least in a compositional/emotional sense). The band itself has said this, time and again, and I really do agree. Happy pop songs with somber undercurrents. With or without the "Frontwards" cover, I think that this is unmistakable. Then I feel you've gotta go for Broken Social Scene; especially with the post-rock creeping back in (the band started out not as a pop band, but as a Godspeed!-style, epic, Canadian-esque skygaze band), for We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed, I think that it really fits. There's a reason why Dave Newfeld and Arts & Crafts wanted this band so badly. Architecture in Helsinki also has to spring to mind, as for a very brief period, right when LC! was breaking, it was kind of hard to tell the two bands apart. And then, of course, there's the whole riot grrrl thing...pick a band, really. They even worked with John Goodmanson, for the second album.

And are we thinking of the same Kills? The minimalist-skronk duo? The last record of theirs I heard was No Wow, so maybe I'm too uninformed to have a strong opinion, but that, I'm not hearing. I mean, The Velvet Underground used distortion, feedback, and female vocals, too...but they sure as shit didn't sound like LC!.

Not trying to call you out or something, MrMac. The more time you spend, around here, the more of these kinds of windy posts you'll see. Just stating my opinion, providing context, and so forth. ...I'm really not so sure, about them showing a Pixies influence. Where are you hearing it? I would hardly mind a Pixies influence, either. Great band. You see that documentary, from a year or two ago? Pretty solid, if sugary, stuff. Refuses to ask a lot of the hard questions, but it was still oftentimes entertaining. Santiago seems like the most unassuming guy in the world...

Old 02-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #93
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:MrMacPhisto:. View Post
Hmmm... just listened. Nice little album. Simple but powerful
Several songs here could fit really well on Pixies' Doolittle and others on The Ting Tings' We Started Nothing, and I can't think of a better compliment for a band like this. Actually, it could be said that it's a mix of those bands. Ok, LC! and TTT released their debuts at the same year, so I doubt there's any influence on each other, I'm just making a comparision. Anyway, Pixies seems to be the real influence here, maybe The Kills a little. Ok, I don't think they're really original, but it's always nice to see a band doing these kind of songs. If I had to rate the album, I would probably gave it a 7/10, and it seems to be a grower.
I'm curious as to what songs you think would fit on Doolittle.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #94
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:38 PM
You guys really need to hear the first album. I think it's a lot more seductive.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #95
Blue Crack Supplier

I already have the first album.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #96
Blue Crack Supplier

What about MrMacPhisto?

And have you tried Sticking Fingers Into Sockets? I don't mean the Los Camp! EP, I mean actually trying it with your own fingers.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #97
Blue Crack Supplier

I have not tried the EP, however I have stuck the occasional finger into the socket. And there are some jokes to be made there.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #98
Blue Crack Supplier

If it's a Lance's Mom socket, you'll be wanting to use the 3-pronged plug.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

NSW, do you perhaps know when doors open, tonight?
Old 02-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #100
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
NSW, do you perhaps know when doors open, tonight?
I mentioned in another thread that my attendance is now in serious jeopardy.

That being said, no, I'm not sure. Sorry.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Oh, snap! For realz? I am going to have to pity you, if you can't make it. I hope that everything's okay, on your end...?
Old 02-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #102
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
Oh, snap! For realz? I am going to have to pity you, if you can't make it. I hope that everything's okay, on your end...?
Oh, yikes, thanks for your concern.

Things are great, I just might have to go to work to oversee the editing on an event we're airing tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #103
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Oh, yikes, thanks for your concern.

Things are great, I just might have to go to work to oversee the editing on an event we're airing tomorrow.
I might be watching Wisconsin-Penn State tomorrow, so don't fuck this up.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #104
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I might be watching Wisconsin-Penn State tomorrow, so don't fuck this up.
Ha, don't worry about that....the only thing that could fuck that up is that there is a game on before it....but there's a 30 minute cushion between the expected end of that game and your game, so it would have to go double ot to really go that long.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Fair enough. It's just that, you know...I'd basically skip my own wedding, for this show. Like, if Alex Campesinos! rolled up in this bitch and wanted to kick it, but said that she'd skip the show, in order to do so...? I'd have to turn her down. That's really saying something, too.

I mean, I'd give her my number and everything...but still. I'd turn that shit away, if it compromised the integrity of my attending tonight's gig.

Regarding doors, the sons of bitches at LSA aren't answering the phone for probably another few hours. I gotta figure out how to make my leg stop bouncing. I'm too amped for this show!

Tags
los campesinos