Los Campesinos! -- WE ARE BEAUTIFUL, WE ARE DOOMED - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2008, 08:10 PM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:27 PM
I've not stopped listening to it for two days now.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:58 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:27 PM
Well, I guess that I'm gonna have to scrounge up my e-mail receipt for my vinyl pre-order from I don't even remember where, anymore, and get a refund--CDs only, boys/girls! And what CDs they promise to be! I really wish that I could have this cover in vinyl dimensions, but whatevs.

Los Campesinos! Reveal Tons of New Album Extras | Pitchfork

Old 11-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

My copy of this just shipped, on Friday, and I'm well more than eagerly awaiting its arrival. Anybody else?

This is such a great record!
Old 11-23-2008, 05:18 PM   #34
Blue Meth Addict

3 or 4 new albums on Tuesday I'll be getting, this is definitely one of them! Looking forward to finally hearing it.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:49 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Arrived in the mail, today! The packaging is nice, the content is superb, and I was also able to enjoy the added bonus of watching the band briefly stomp around by my old apartment, in Japan, for a few minutes. Great, great fun (and a nice, unexpected trip down memory lane)!

Make sure to get yours while supplies last, kids. They're only pressing a few thousand of these, and then that's that!
Old 11-25-2008, 10:50 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:27 PM
I wish I was able to get a hold of this somehow, I really liked the first one.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:39 PM   #37
Blue Meth Addict

So what's all on the DVD, Shouter? I haven't had a change to put it in....I haven't even listened to the album other than the title track (which I liked).
Old 11-26-2008, 11:43 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It's just self-shot tour footage, from early August. If not for nostalgia, I probably wouldn't be too blown away. Pretty amazing, though, to see how spectacularly well-received they were, by the Japanese! Mo'fuckers were loving it.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:05 PM   #39
Blue Meth Addict

Finally listened to it. While it doesn't seem to have any "huge" tracks like Hold On did on first listen, it does seem to to overall be more consistent than Hold On.

I liked all of it, but my favorites the first time through were: title track, Ways to Make It Through the Wall, You'll Need Those Fingers For Crossing, Documented Minor Emotional Breakdown #1, and All Your Kafabe Friends.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

"Miserabilia" FTMFW.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:56 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Out on vinyl, via A&C and only in North America, in January. Rejoice.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #42
Blue Meth Addict

Maybe I'll listen to the album again right now. Right this very second. Would you like that Shouter? Would that please you? What say you?
Old 12-08-2008, 12:05 AM   #43
Blue Meth Addict

Even though Shoutmaster did not give me his okay in type to go ahead and listen to the album, I did it anyway. I have to say, I am almost starting to think I like it more than Hold On Now Youngster. I really want to see these guys (ok, the gals more than the guys) live, hopefully they'll add some shows for the Western half of the US next year.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:19 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Time for a bump, I reckon. Still an embarrassment of riches, on this one.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:55 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

1) Finally bought my ticket for the February show at Logan Square. Should be a wonderful time made all the more enjoyable by the fun sure to be had during the opening set of Titus Andronicus (who released a pretty damn good debut record, The Airing of Grievances, earlier this year).

2) My Arts & Crafts vinyl edition of the record finally arrived, a few days ago...and it kinda sucks. I'm quite furious with A&C (normally one of my absolute favorite labels in all the world) for how badly they've bungled the North American release(s) of We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed.

First of all, the CD didn't come with what was supposed to be the only version released--the rectangular box with all the band-approved odds-and-ends; instead, we got a standard cardboard gatefold CD with liner notes and the brief tour DVD. Absolutely ridiculous.

Then, this vinyl arrives. First of all, the band only wanted the record to be released on CD, but I'm not really at liberty to complain about this, as I went and bought the vinyl edition. In spite of this, I'm still upset. Why, you ask? Well, whereas the Hold On Now, Youngster... release was a gorgeous gatefold sleeve with a very LC!-esque faux handmade lyric/credits sheet, this one is...well, a plain sleeve with a plain record with, no fucking joke, a slightly longer version of the exact same liner notes that came with the CD release. No fucking shit--they're the exact same thing. About an inch taller, but that's it.

Basically, they just tossed the CD liners into the sleeve and left it at that. I payed full fucking price for this, and I'm upset. God damn it. To add insult to injury, if I actually want to have the "real" version of the record, I now have to buy an import (if there're even any left) from the UK for a little bit more than the price I already payed for the broke-ass LP! Argh!!!!!

3) Still the best band in the world, at the moment. I would really, really, really like to see them work with producer Dave Fridmann (Mercury Rev, many others), for their next record. I spent a good chunk of time on the train, this weekend, listening to what he did with Sleater-Kinney (also produced by We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed helmsman, John Goodmanson), for their final blowout and definitive statement, The Woods. The band generally sounds nothing at all like it had sounded for nearly ten years, yet sounds exactly like they're supposed to. It is one of the five or ten best records of the decade, and perhaps the best (arguably) "punk" album to have been released in the last 15 years. It is gargantuan, and its willingness not to go to 11, but rather to 50, would, I think, suit this band remarkably.

As with U2 (I've longed for years and years, now, to hear them work with Fridmann), I'd love to see what Fridmann would push this band to achieve. Of course, it's always a risky thing working with the guy (see every non-Yerself Is Steam Mercury Rev album or the second Clap Your Hands Say Yeah album, Some Loud Thunder, for evidence of this), but I'd be willing to go along for the ride. I feel like they could really kick up some shit, if they were willing to get in there, fuck shit up, and kick out some fucking jams. Imagine something like "Car Wash Hair" done by this band, you know? Jesus, that'd be incredible.

Tags
los campesinos