Los Campesinos! -- ROMANCE IS BORING

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"This is a Flag" is really good, yeah. We're all probably going to agree on that. I just don't necessarily think it's the best thing they've ever done or even close to the best thing on the album.

"Plan A" is this album's "End of the Asterisk," only not quite as bad.

I meant to listen to the album today at work, but decided to wait to hear it on better headphones the first time through. I've listened to the album's title track 4 or 5 times today already though, me likie.

Suppose it's better for you to feel young again than to feel the young again.

Picture18-1.png

Straight in at 10 or 11
I Just Tuccied. I Just Tuccied, Just So You Know
These Are Listed Offenders
The Cell Is A Good Place To Think About The Future
This Is A Basement. There Is No Escape

Hold On Now, Youngster: 8.4
We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed: 8.3
Romance Is Boring: 8.6(?)

The critical consensus is about equal to that of the previous records.

It will get a higher rating than either of those two. I'll bet they know they foolishly underrated Hold On Now Youngster.

No way this getting less than an 8.9, though I will still be surprised if it doesn't get over 9.0

Also, fuck them for not having the review on Tuesday. It's the most important release of the month, let alone the week.

Never got around to hearing it today, but I also listened to There Are Listed Buildings. I love both it and the title track. Look forward to hearing the rest. I'm glad that the supposed "burn out" I thought I had on them seems to have been nixed by having new material.

yayz

Two of the members of this band were wearing jean shorts at Lollapalooza last year. Two different pairs of jean shorts. On one stage. Unbelievable.

"I think we need more post-coital, and less post-rock. Feels like the build up takes forever, but you never touch my cock"

:laugh:

Gareth was wearing them in Austin too, Gaffer. This is a bit of quasi-"hipster" couture I don't quite understand.

img_0714-768x1024.jpg

So the guy on the left. These guys aren't "hipsters," but I'm just illustrating a point. Obviously they used to be jeans and were cut off just barely above the knee. This does make them jorts, but not quite jorts in the truest sense:

jean-shorts.jpg

Verdict? Too close to the real thing. Needs to stop.

This may very well end up being my favorite Los Camp album, very good first impression.

PS - Just say no to shorts on dudez.

Which makes me even more pissed I didn't import it after the massive cock block that was A&C's vinyl treatment.

And Gareth still hasn't answered my email about the damn situation.

Keep us updated, on that. I'm not sure of what's what.

Anyway, I like literally every single song on this album. I love the vast majority of them. But I do think that this is just too long. With a few tracks left, it feels to me like it starts to grind its gears (even though some of those later songs are among my favorites) and lose momentum. It could be a personal reaction to the sequencing, but I don't think so. I just think that the album could stand to be 5-8 minutes shorter, give or take. A non-album single or two would've save some killer tracks from b-side hell, too.

C'est la vie, though. I really like it. Reminds me a bit of how I oftentimes feel about Hail to the Thief, which on song-for-song terms is probably my favorite Radiohead album...but which I don't think works as well as many others as, you know, an album.

Reminds me a bit of how I oftentimes feel about Hail to the Thief, which on song-for-song terms is probably my favorite Radiohead album

Remind me never to trust your Radiohead-related opinions ever again. :wink:

I think the album is a fairly perfect length. It's only 6 minutes longer than Hold On Now, Youngster, so I don't see how it's a radical departure anyway. If a couple of the tracks were cut, the album would be improved for it, but that's only because they're not anything special, and I would want them replaced by something else. The album has more weight to it and somewhat greater scope than their previous efforts, and I think a small bit more sprawl is fitting.

Keep us updated, on that. I'm not sure of what's what.

Anyway, I like literally every single song on this album. I love the vast majority of them. But I do think that this is just too long. With a few tracks left, it feels to me like it starts to grind its gears (even though some of those later songs are among my favorites) and lose momentum. It could be a personal reaction to the sequencing, but I don't think so. I just think that the album could stand to be 5-8 minutes shorter, give or take. A non-album single or two would've save some killer tracks from b-side hell, too.

C'est la vie, though. I really like it. Reminds me a bit of how I oftentimes feel about Hail to the Thief, which on song-for-song terms is probably my favorite Radiohead album...but which I don't think works as well as many others as, you know, an album.
I totally agree. Especially the fill stuff and Plan A. This album could easily do without that stuff and be better for it.

I can't stop listening to I Just Sighed for the last minute and a half or so, absolutely love that part.

Back
Top Bottom