Los Campesinos! -- ROMANCE IS BORING - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2009, 12:24 AM   #91
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:26 PM
Did In Rainbows leak? Or, because there was no record company involved, did it remain untouched until its online release?

Old 12-22-2009, 12:27 AM   #92
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
Part rant, part hypothesizing, part working class philosophizing, part confessional, all overly earnest:
And the sad part is that I can't get a lot of these records because record stores are disappearing. I can't think of more than two within a half hour of me. And I lack the ability to shop online because I don't have a credit card (or even access to one), so I'm pretty restricted.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:27 AM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:26 PM
It never leaked, no. An unfinished Hail to the Thief did, though.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:29 AM   #94
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
It never leaked, no. An unfinished Hail to the Thief did, though.
If a band has the resources, that honestly is probably the best way to go about it. Record companies just fuck so much up.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:42 AM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

...I guess that what I was trying to get at in my last substantive post was largely how strange I find it that, so very often, the people who are following the rules are the ones who take cover, in regards to these issues. The Wild West is a crazily apt metaphor for all of this, basically.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:58 AM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
This is just the nearest quote, so it's easier. This isn't as representative as it should be.
I'd hate for what I said to be misconstrued as vitriol against Scumbo. In a perfect world, his example would be the one I'd follow to a tee. Sure, we poke fun at his staunchness, but I don't think any of us think he's stupid for doing what is, in all honesty, the right thing.

Once I have more money, I'd certainly like to phase out downloading entirely. At least for me. So yeah, the "I'm poor" excuse can be a shitty one to use for some, but it really is the only thing keeping me downloading. I certainly don't feel entitled to get music for free whenever I want.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:00 AM   #97
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:26 PM
I'm still curious as to what you guys think about used CDs. That money doesn't go to the band. When you buy one, all it does is POTENTIALLY make someone else who's looking for it have to purchase it new. Or maybe they just wait until another used copy shows up.

And buying/selling used CDs is completely legal. Should one have a guilty conscience if they only buy stuff used?
Old 12-22-2009, 01:01 AM   #98
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
I'd hate for what I said to be misconstrued as vitriol against Scumbo. In a perfect world, his example would be the one I'd follow to a tee. Sure, we poke fun at his staunchness, but I don't think any of us think he's stupid for doing what is, in all honesty, the right thing.

Once I have more money, I'd certainly like to phase out downloading entirely. At least for me. So yeah, the "I'm poor" excuse can be a shitty one to use for some, but it really is the only thing keeping me downloading. I certainly don't feel entitled to get music for free whenever I want.
I agree with all of this, and it pretty much reflects what I'm thinking here.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:11 AM   #99
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Yeah, I can't remember anyone actually making fun of Scumbo for his ethics, or getting rude about it. It's basically when someone talks about downloading something, we refer to Utahian Justice being on their trail. We're certainly making light of his position, but not ridiculing him for it.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:21 AM   #100
Blue Crack Supplier

I usually mention how he's being tortured every time downloads/leaks come up.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I'll third this sentiment.

My thing is that, yes, downloading steals from artists, without a doubt. And, yes, I do the best I can to buy vinyl (if there's no vinyl though, it's not getting purchased, period) and to go to shows/buy merch when I can. I fully recognize the fact that I am doing something that is at the least, in a legal gray area with moral ambiguities, and at the worst, completely illegal and immoral. But, at the same time, there is simply no way that I would have expanded my listening habits in the exponential way I have over the past couple of years without downloading. And for that, I am immensely grateful. So, I guess, in the end, I'm torn and ambivalent towards downloading, and like a lot of others (at least the ones that consider themselves true music fans as well), I'm still trying to reconcile its role in the music industry today. It's obviously not going away, and there are serious debates about exactly how much downloading has hurt the industry's sales (although, it's delivered a hit, to some extent, obviously) in the first place. Regardless, it's a big clusterfuck now, one that nobody knows what the hell to do about.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I'm still curious as to what you guys think about used CDs. That money doesn't go to the band. When you buy one, all it does is POTENTIALLY make someone else who's looking for it have to purchase it new. Or maybe they just wait until another used copy shows up.

And buying/selling used CDs is completely legal. Should one have a guilty conscience if they only buy stuff used?
I have never figured out my stance on buying used CDs. Like, it's something I've been conflicted and confused about since literally the pre-internet age. Or at least since the very early '90s, when I first started seriously listening to my mom's Talking Heads and Pink Floyd records. I have never understood why or how that is legal, given the reality of what is happening (you are paying somebody else taxable dollars for the record of an artist who will never see a single cent of that money); in the recent internet age, it's even more confusing. For myself, I generally buy used box sets, compilations/reissues, very big name acts, or (of course) reasonably priced OOP recordings of whatever kind.

I have personally felt guilty about buying tons of used stuff, when I've been in that habit, but I just don't know. I'm all over the place. It's kind of like the inverse of "download first, then buy"--it's legal, but it's maybe not AS legal (or idealistic) as buying it new. There have been small pushes to outlaw used sales, in recent years (even if just through broad language in potential legislation), but they never gained any steam. Because, you know, people would lose their fucking minds.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Yeah, I can't remember anyone actually making fun of Scumbo for his ethics, or getting rude about it.
It seems possible or likely that I am and have been overreacting, then. Or under-reacting, given the circumstances. Either way, I can't imagine people not taking note of that reverse persecution across the internet.

And I should just come out and say it--I'm actually waiting, for this record. Not easy. REALLY not easy. And now I sound like a jackass, because I was all like, "Nah, nah, I already heard it 15 times. You guys don't know anything. Shit is amazing." I'll still stand by the amazing remark, because the songs I've heard both sound great and the one or two write-ups I've read maintain that it's a beautiful piece of work. But, yes, I'm trying to do the right thing. I guess I'm also the worst kind of elitist/fipster around, now--the dude who lies about what he's heard so as to be cool and save face. On a message board. I am, as they say, losing my edge.

Somebody on the LC! board mentioned that he was trying to hold off on dl'ing it, but that his brother didn't give a shit, meaning that he, himself, could hear his brother listening to it, upstairs. That's a very modern story, right there. What a strange age in which we live. I really doubt that I'll have any kind of similar experience, but I will be curious to see whether or not I hear it before any shows I go to, in the weeks leading up to the release. I mentioned Hail to the Thief, upthread, and vividly recall hearing it not just before shows, but actually ON THE RADIO, months before its release. Nothing like living at a university, I guess.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Oh, and I'm standing by my Newfeld support, too. I miss him, though, in general. Doesn't do enough work, these days. I have no idea that that SFA record didn't get him more consistent, higher profile work, but whatever. I really hope that LC!, or even SFA, hooks back up with him, in the near future. Even if just for a single, or two.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #105
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
And I should just come out and say it--I'm actually waiting, for this record. Not easy. REALLY not easy. And now I sound like a jackass, because I was all like, "Nah, nah, I already heard it 15 times. You guys don't know anything. Shit is amazing." I'll still stand by the amazing remark, because the songs I've heard both sound great and the one or two write-ups I've read maintain that it's a beautiful piece of work. But, yes, I'm trying to do the right thing. I guess I'm also the worst kind of elitist/fipster around, now--the dude who lies about what he's heard so as to be cool and save face. On a message board. I am, as they say, losing my edge.

Wow, IYS. That's pretty admirable, and I do not envy you now. I hope my earlier taunting when we first got the leak hasn't made it too much worse!

Tags
los campesinos