Los Campesinos! -- ROMANCE IS BORING - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #166
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:04 AM
"There Are Listed Buildings," I believe. They also released "The Sea is a Good Place to Think of the Future" for pre-release listening, but I am 90% sure that it wasn't an actual single. At any rate, those were the two promo songs.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #167
Blue Meth Addict

Thanks, I'll have to check them out. Is there a music video for Buildings already?

Old 01-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #168
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Videos for both those songs, actually. I think that they've been posted, in this thread. The LC! blog has been putting up whatever there is to put up, and is the place to go for up-to-date everything: LC!
Old 01-18-2010, 01:36 PM   #169
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
I don't think that my waiting for an authorized stream really had much to do with what the songs sound like, unless the band changed something in the interim. Definitely not underwhelmed, either. Also, I must admit that I'm a bit bothered by your telling me A) what should or shouldn't change my stance, and B) that I have changed my stance. On leaks. Which this is not.
I'm not taking issue with the stance on waiting, but it just seems kind of ridiculous to be holding out only to give in when a stream is approved. Your posts about the band and the position you were taking were practically religious in nature (which is why I'm often so excited and affected by what you write), and to be able to hear it on a "technicality" seems cheap to me.

If you're going to take a stand on the principle, than be pure for real and get the thing in your hands so you can really savor it. I'm not trying to make you feel bad but I'm just a little surprised and confused at your choice.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #170
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:04 AM
Old 01-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #171
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I'm not taking issue with the stance on waiting, but it just seems kind of ridiculous to be holding out only to give in when a stream is approved. Your posts about the band and the position you were taking were practically religious in nature (which is why I'm often so excited and affected by what you write), and to be able to hear it on a "technicality" seems cheap to me.

If you're going to take a stand on the principle, than be pure for real and get the thing in your hands so you can really savor it. I'm not trying to make you feel bad but I'm just a little surprised and confused at your choice.
Fair play. Thanks for elaborating. For me, though, it's not at all a technicality. The band has, at this point, chosen to present the songs in this manner; additionally, I am not aiding in the theft of a record. I'm not trying to make you or anybody else feel bad, either (aka, I'm not using "theft" pejoratively, per se, but honestly; and I've stolen too many records to get that preachy...probably hundreds more than you have, unfortunately), but that's my main issue. I'm not even going to re-read my leak-related post, so I'm not EVEN suggesting that you do...but I'm pretty sure that my growing objection to leak culture is the strange sense of entitlement that underscores it, its slippery-as-hell slope, and, yes, the theft that it constitutes.

I know that Gareth has not really spoken of this in financial or legal terms, but as perhaps a show of my pragmatism (which goes hand in hand with my idealism of which you wrote--thanks, by the way, for the kind words!), as well as my concern for my musician friends, I am speaking of it in those terms. My two copies are purchased, and I'm fine with listening to something which a band CHOOSES to stream for free. A few weeks ago, though, that choice hadn't been made. MySpace is legal, you know? RS (which apparently self-censors, on this site! wow...) isn't.

Not preaching. Just elaborating on my own opinions.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #172
Blue Crack Supplier

I know it's legal, but for me personally, I find listening to something on a stream is pretty shitty in terms of the experience. I don't know how they rate in terms of actual sonic quality but I can't imagine it being that high?
Old 01-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #173
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Yeah, that's 100% true. Perhaps surprisingly, though, fidelity isn't too great a concern of mine. I am no audiophile. Not even CLOSE. I've tried, but it ain't happening. I mean, if I were BUYING a MySpace stream or a shitty iTunes rip...well, I wouldn't ever do that, so there you go. But to hear something for which I'm so excited...? All good in the hood. For me, anyway. I'll have it across formats, in basically days.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #174
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
i have tried to get onto this bandwagon, but i can't find the step stool. i only listened to "my year in lists" and "we throw parties, you throw knives," because two songs was just about all i could handle. i imagine i have something wrong here, because i find it hard to believe there would be this much raving about this band if those two songs are representative of their stuff, because i thought they were truly awful and annoying. somebody prove me wrong, tell me what else i should check out before i am forced to just agree to disagree regarding that band.
those were my feelings too. i normally share the same music tastes with the posters in this thread. surely, i must have just had a bad first impression.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #175
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Ha. If it makes you feel any better, I fucking loathe Snow Patrol.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #176
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
Ha. If it makes you feel any better, I fucking loathe Snow Patrol.

i only like them about twice per year.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:01 PM   #177
Blue Meth Addict

Thanks for the info on the videos. I've been out of the loop on the thread and the band, so sorry for all the questions that likely have been answered a zillion times over already.

Quote:
i have tried to get onto this bandwagon, but i can't find the step stool. i only listened to "my year in lists" and "we throw parties, you throw knives," because two songs was just about all i could handle. i imagine i have something wrong here, because i find it hard to believe there would be this much raving about this band if those two songs are representative of their stuff, because i thought they were truly awful and annoying. somebody prove me wrong, tell me what else i should check out before i am forced to just agree to disagree regarding that band.
While I like those two songs, there are a number of others that are far better. If I remember correctly, You, Me, Dancing was the first track of theirs I heard, and I initially hated it too (and now love it), so there's that. Regardless, they probably aren't for everyone tastes wise, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #178
The Male

Quote:
You! Me! Dancing!, This Is How You Spell...yadda yadda...Faux Romantics, and Romance Is Boring are three you should hear, but I mean, the two you named are pretty beloved. It's not as if you're swearing off Pavement based on Chesley's Little Wrists and Hit The Plane Down or anything.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #179
Blue Crack Supplier

Even the mere mention of Hit The Plane Down makes me want to gag.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:36 AM   #180
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Speaking of videos and singles...

Romance Is Boring: Video LC!

Tags
los campesinos