Los Campesinos!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They aren't. I asked on Twitter. I'm super bummed about it and may just mail order it if I feel spry.

Did any of you recent concertgoers notice if they were selling any Heat Rash stuff at the show? They're coming out with a new issue that sounds really cool, but the tax and shipping makes it a little not worth it:

Los Campesinos! � Blog Archive � Heat Rash #3 ‘Footnotes’: Pre-Order/News

I wish I could've answered your question, but holy shit, the idea of getting into the store at the Metro was a friggin joke. If it weren't for iYup deciding to pretty much elbow his way out of there, I think we'd have been trapped in that bottleneck for hours. I was pissed, too. I really wanted to buy Parenthetical Girl's albums.

They're playing here tomorrow. I'm probably not going, because I'm a bad person.

I've bought We Are Beautiful and Hold on There, Youngster over the last few days, so I would say that the concert had quite an impact on me.

Ok, so why are they playing it like this on-air, but in their shows they're doing the cold open? And would it kill them all to sing along on the chorus?

Idiots.

Also, what's the estimate on how much weight Gareth has put on in the last 3 years?

I'm gonna go with 20. Dude's got a fucking double chin.

He's turning into the Robert Smith of the British indie scene.

Conversely, is it me or is Kim getting hotter?

Yes, much hotter. As has Ellen, like we discussed. But if you can only go after one, it has to be the one who doesn't have her brother right there.

And yeah, homeboy has tacked on some pounds, which raises some questions about veganism. Boner and the bro from Fucked Up better watch their undoubtedly sweaty backs.

Ok, so why are they playing it like this on-air, but in their shows they're doing the cold open? And would it kill them all to sing along on the chorus?

Idiots.

They don't do the cold open live, as such; they played an intro song by Why? with the lights down before kicking in. It fit pretty nicely, I thought.

I'm not getting any sense at all that there is a point to going both nights they play here. So which night do I choose?

Gotta say, I love the chorus of Plan A enough that it surpasses either of those 'Cock tracks.

1/27/12 - Chicago:

By Your Hand
Romance Is Boring
Death To Los Campesinos!
Life Is A Long Time
A Heat Rash in the Shape of the Show Me State; or, Letters from Me to Charlotte
Songs About Your Girlfriend
We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed
There Are Listed Buildings
Straight In at 101
To Tundra
The Black Bird, The Dark Slope
You! Me! Dancing!
The Sea Is A Good Place To Think Of The Future
Hello Sadness
Baby I Got The Death Rattle

Encore:
Miserabilia
Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks

I'm pretty sure that las night's setlist was almost exactly like this, but we didn't get The Black Bird, The Dark Slope. Which really pissed me off. And I don't think there was a replacement song.

Positives: Gareth is really leaving it all on stage. I was pretty blown away by the power he was putting into the "loud" vocal on To Tundra. Some funny stage banter as usual. He came into the crowd during Sweet Dreams, but unlike last time I saw them none of the band members followed him.

Kim is definitely hotter but her stage presence still sucks; she only showed signs of life during You! Me! Dancing! and Sweet Dreams. And it must be said, maybe she was just low in the mix, but her backing vocals just don't hit like Ellen, who was sorely missed on stuff like Miserabilia and Death to Los Camp! This is another reason why I missed Black Bird/Dark Slope because it's the one song she gets to actually go for it.

Ellen was looking pretty damed fine in a tight white tank top and her hair pulled back. Unfortunately I was a little further back then I like to be and she tends to hide behind Tom. Which leads me to an interesting observation: it's pretty odd that the guy who writes ALL the music and is playing all the lead guitar parts is so off to the side stage-wise. Like, if you were standing on the right side of the floor, you couldn't even see him because he was blocked by the stack. I feel like he used to be closer to Gareth, but now Kim essentially shares center stage and that's kind of bullshit. Ellen used to be on the far left IIRC, and now Rob a.k.a. Sparky Deathcab is in that spot.

Did we ever discuss Harriet's departure on here? I feel like I noticed her absence before, but apparently she left in August of last year and I don't remember hearing the news. Anyway, I kind of miss there being a violin, not to mention another hottie.

The fact that they play the same setlist every night is one of the reasons I'm only going to try to go to one of their two shows next week. You'd think they could vary them a little better at this point.

I don't remember this being the case in the past. It's extremely lazy. And I don't even consider it a great setlist. Of course, two of the singles off Romance is Boring (Listed Buildings and the title track) are two of my least favorites on the album, so I'm in the minority on that. I love that album but aside from Straight In At 101 and The Sea Is A Great Place... they aren't highlighting it as well as they could be.

At least they're playing two of the best tracks on WABWAD, and of course the opening and closers from Youngster are deservedly staples, as is You! Me! Dancing!

Back
Top Bottom