Los Campesinos!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
https://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/article/los-campesinos-rank-their-first-five-records

Candid interview about the behind-the-scenes of each recording process and rankings that seem about as objective as one could hope for. Rightfully they put Hello Sadness at the bottom. Obviously I don't agree with the low ranking of Youngster, but I imagine it's impossible as an artist to look at your debut and not have all kinds of issues with it when you been working 10 years past it.

I have no problem with calling Romance their best overall achievement, but the main reason I personally put Youngster higher is that I just love every damned song on that album. Romance gets docked for two of its singles being my least favorite tracks on there (the title song and Listed Buildings), which of course get played at every show.

A shame to read about the record label's apathy re: No Blues as I felt there was some very accessible songs on there that could have reached a wider audience.

As for Sick Scenes, finally got the CD in the mail and listened to it 3 times straight through. Still too early to make detailed observations but I feel it's a slight step down from No Blues, not sure if I'm hearing any pantheon tracks yet. Nothing I want to skip, either, though.

I saw them last Friday and it's my top show for the year so far. The band and crowd were just packed with explosive energy. All the new songs sounded great, especially I Broke Up in Amarante. The audience was jumping around just as much for that as they did for Romance is Boring or By Your Hand. A Slow Slow Death was another highlight. That song may be my favorite on Sick Scenes.

The concert was nothing but full powered dancing and jumping around. I think there were maybe three mid or low tempo songs as breathers. I was a sweaty, happy mess by the end of it.

The band enjoyed it too!

https://twitter.com/LosCampesinos/status/840593868550733825

My thoughts before I read back through the thread......

Renato Dell'Ara is special for two reasons: 1) because the name of the man who bought me the record and shipped it to a country where it was not available is named Renato and 2) they take the absolute piss out of Interpol in the lyrics - "but things change / now Stella’s a lager and boy she is always downed"

It rules, as does Sad Suppers - that song has such a beautiful muted acoustic fadeout ending.

I Broke Up in Amarante is the album's highlight, I'd say, it is a classic LC! song, fast, anxious, clipped, angular guitar and strained vocals from Gareth alongside a female backup. Terrific tune.

A Slow Slow Death is a great song, I adore the horns in the chorus, but for me the biggest thing was one of the lyrics in the first verse - "preoccupied now for days by nostalgia waves I hated the first time". This band just fucking gets me, and they write such incredible lyrics, that line is phenomenal and hits like 98 out of 100 brain points.

The Fall of Home is quite different for them, nice stuff.

5 Flucloxacillin is a great song, I love the solo, and man there's a heartbreaking line in the last verse, "damned be the knowledge that's it, you've tried em all", regarding anti-depressants to get yourself back on track.

The second half is quite interesting, I don't think it's quite as strong. Fourth Time has a great electric piano/synth hook. For Whom the Belly Tolls is terrific but I just wish it exploded at the end like the greatest LC! songs do. Got Stendhal's is also quite different for them, need to listen to it more. A Litany/Heart Swells is your dark, cloudy track, this album's version of The Sea is a Good Place to Think of the Future, and I hope it grows on me more. Hung Empty closes things out and it's a good song but does kind of feel like the song they can write in their sleep.

Overall I think the p4k score is fair. I love this band with all of my fucking heart, but part of me thinks that at this point I'd rather one 10/10 song than a 7/10 albums. NO BLUES was a great album but even if it hadn't been - it still had Cemetery Gaits, which is Rushmore LC! for mine. But I've only had one listen so obviously need to live with it a bit more. It's clearly a quasi-concept album and I feel a more fuck-we-might-die-tomorrow approach might have befitted the alcoholism-and-pill addiction theme a lot better. It doesn't quite punch through.

The other point I wanted to make is that... eventually this band is going to call it quits for monetary reasons, and that day is going to be incredibly fucking sad. I don't think I will ever see them again, but I count myself very fortunate to have seen their only Aus show.

Oddly enough, I'm loving it more and more. But still doesn't top No Blues. And it's light years ahead of Hello Sadness.

Hung Empty might seem like auto-pilot, but damn that chorus is good.

I thought Belly Tolls did kick in near the end and finished strong (some great guitar work), but perhaps not as much as a pantheon contender would.

Got Stendhal's is the real grower on the album. Killer solo, as the 'fork review pointed out.

Fall of Home is just gorgeous.

Bottom line though is that No Blues four best tracks (IMO) What Death Leaves Behind, Cemetery Gaits, As Lucerne/The Low, Avocado Baby really tower over the mini-Rushmore from Sick Scene, which I guess is kind of what you said.

Thanks for sharing that Noisey link, will get to it when I'm not at work.

What's your overall LC! Rushmore? Mine's pretty easy - In Medias Res / Cemetery Gaits / I Just Sighed. I Just Sighed, Just So You Know / We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed.

In Medias Res was the first song I heard by them and it's been my favourite from that moment. Romance is Boring is comfortably among the best five or so indie rock albums I've ever heard.

No Blues - I'd say my Rushmore's the same as yours, maybe I'd take Selling Rope over Avocado Baby (I've never really liked the chorus).

As for Sick Scenes, listening again, it's good stuff. The first half, through 5 Flucloxacillin, is stellar. The Fall of Home is gorgeous, it did surprise me, because they've never really written a song like it before. Belly Tolls - it certainly does kick in at the end, but I was really hoping that "babbling please let me stay" was going to be a refrain and fadeout, it's a great line. But yeah, the whole thing's great and growing on me already. I think Hung Empty might be my least favourite, just because it's a bit by-numbers.

I may have posted one some time back but:

This Is A Flag. There Is No Wind. - Death To Los Campesinos! - Documented Minor Emotional Breakdown #1 - As Lucerne/The Low

I think my fav on Sick Scenes is A Slow, Slow Death. They have a rare talent to make rousing songs out of mid-tempo pieces.

Really excited - woke up this morning with For Whom the Belly Tolls in my head, and Renato and Amarante also popping in and out. That's a really good sign, probably the first time this year that I've had an album stick with me so quickly. It's great :up:

My thoughts before I read back through the thread......

Renato Dell'Ara is special for two reasons: 1) because the name of the man who bought me the record and shipped it to a country where it was not available is named Renato

Damn, I have been mostly out this past month moving apartments and stuff, and missed this. Glad you are enjoying that record.

I agree with most people's assessment. It's close to No Blues for me, but lacking the highlights, but a significant step up from Hello Sadness. I don't mind Side B at all, and I think For Whom the Belly Tolls is one of the best songs in the record.

They were playing Sick Scenes in its entirety today at Rough Trade. I hope that means they are getting some more recognition and will be financially able to keep going.

It's fascinating to me that they were able to pay to tour by selling merch. I'm sure it's not a revolutionary thing for bands like this but you don't usually hear the specific mechanics of how they make the money work.

This is fucking delightful:

Video for Renato Dall'Ara is out tomorrow, too.

Might be my #1 record of the year so far. It may be better than NO BLUES. The only two tracks I'm not huge on are Here's to the Fourth Time and Hung Empty.

This record is a fucking belter. I love it. Such great energy from start to finish. I'm calling it their second best record after Romance is Boring. NO BLUES a bee's dick behind in third.

1. Romance is Boring
2. Sick Scenes
3. NO BLUES
4. We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed
5. Hold On Now, Youngster...
6. Hello Sadness

1. Romance Is Boring
2. We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed
3. No Blues
4. Hold on Now, Youngster
5. Sick Scenes
6. Hello Sadness