Los Campesinos!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I visit them to tell them how U2 is the only band that matters, and that they should listen to nothing but U2 bootlegs daily.

Laz/Imperor: have you guys already received the actual record? I thought it was supposed to arrive this week, but nothing so far on my side.

I haven't. It looks to me that the physical release comes after the digital, but I can't find a concrete date.

The pre-order page says October 2013, and "in stock", even though it's still a preorder. Hopefully it'll ship soon. My order page still says "processing".

Just noticed that the LP will include a download code for A Good Night For A Fistfight - Live in London, so that's cool.

Two listens in and I agree with everyone who says this is better than Hello Sadness. I really didn't like that album and I was nonplussed over this release because of that. This is a step up, which is nice.

I've only listened to three songs, and I already like more tracks on it than the last one.

I'm not as down on Hello Sadness as most of you, and only dislike a couple songs on it (the last track is an awful slog).

But this one has a spirit and energy that is largely absent from that album. I'm tempted to stack this up against Romance Is Boring, which is more varied and has higher peaks but isn't as consistent IMO. Of course, I'm in a minority thinking There Are Listed Buildings is generic LC! and not crazy about the title track either. A shame both have become concert staples while should-be-legendary tracks like This Is a Flag go largely ignored.

I probably should just buy It. Was going to listen to it on Spotify first to decide, as I was really disappointed in the last one, but I love Avocado and What Death. Seems like a fairly safe bet based on what I've read.

As a Hello Sadness lover, I haven't quite been able to place this one above it. The last two tracks on NB really go out with a whimper, and there's nothing here I love as much as the title track of HS and "To Tundra."

It's still a typically great LC! album though.

Of course, I'm in a minority thinking There Are Listed Buildings is generic LC! and not crazy about the title track either. A shame both have become concert staples while should-be-legendary tracks like This Is a Flag go largely ignored.

Agree so much with this. I'd throw "I Just Sighed" in there as well.

I'm not as down on Hello Sadness as most of you, and only dislike a couple songs on it (the last track is an awful slog).

But this one has a spirit and energy that is largely absent from that album. I'm tempted to stack this up against Romance Is Boring, which is more varied and has higher peaks but isn't as consistent IMO. Of course, I'm in a minority thinking There Are Listed Buildings is generic LC! and not crazy about the title track either. A shame both have become concert staples while should-be-legendary tracks like This Is a Flag go largely ignored.

Romance is Boring is one of my favourite albums of the decade, and I rate that a fair way above everything else LC! has done, but I totally agree with your latter points there. I do love Listed Buildings and the title track but I'd take We've Got Your Back, I Just Sighed, Heat Rash and This is a Flag over those two any day.

And In Medias Res of course. It was the first LC! song I heard and it remains my favourite. Was shattered they didn't play it when I saw them.

I didn't realize they were giving away the live album with a purchase of No Blues. That was a very nice surprise.

I bought the album on iTunes using some cards I got like two Christmases ago and did not get the live album. This is why iTunes blows.

I haven't written much about the album but I've been listening to it over and over again. And I might in the near future go out on a limb and say this is their best since the debut. WEB,WAB just sounds very slight now, despite having stellar peaks like Miserabilia, the title track, and Documented Minor Emotional Breakdown #1. Nothing else on there is really essential. I spoke about Romance Is Boring the other day. It's a strong work. It has a lot of variety. It's more playful lyrically without falling back on too many football references. But it only has a few songs that I really, really love.

But as I said, this one is pretty damned consistent, the only track not really doing too much for me is The Time Before The Last Time which is at least over quickly, and not the final song on the album. That closer is easily their best since Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks.

The CD booklet has some nice art direction, and I know that many don't give a fuck about this kind of stuff, but the fonts and typesetting are bold and clear and makes reading the lyrics less of a hassle. There's a lot of death imagery on the album, even more than usual. And yet, it's usually done with tongue planted firmly in cheek so Gareth doesn't sound like a boring moper.

Ranked:

1. As Lucerne/The Low
2. What Death Leaves Behind
(these first two are really close)
3. Avocado, Baby
4. Cemetery Gaits

5. Glue Me
6. For Flotsam
7. Selling Rope

8. A Portrait Of The Trequartista...
9. Let It Spill

10. The Time Before The Last Time

My vinyl has still not arrived.

I cannot agree about it being their best closer since Sweet Dreams Sweet Cheeks, I think Coda is fucking amazing.

As a Hello Sadness lover, I haven't quite been able to place this one above it. The last two tracks on NB really go out with a whimper

Not sure how you can possibly say this about Selling Rope. This whole final section is sung with a lot of feeling and energy:

Oh I was a bird right then, one day I will be again
I've been telling jokes while selling rope to you

There's no ticker-tape, no golden gate
No carnival and no parade
Just one, one for sorrow

Not sure how you can possibly say this about Selling Rope.

The last section is nice and another great vocal turn from Gareth, yeah, and I've come around on it more since that post. I still think "Last Time" just kills the album's momentum in a way that doesn't really set the stage well for "Selling Rope."

That said, it's a terrific album with a handful of tracks I'd call new LC! classics. Definitely Gareth's strongest album vocally. I can't say it's a better work than Youngster or Romance, though, and as Interference's preeminent Hello Sadness apologist, probably that one too. Totally agree with your feelings on WABWAD.

The last track on Hello Sadness does more damage than Time Before Last, IMO.

Maybe No Blues could have been sequenced differently, I don't know.

Gotta say, I think No Blues would rate as my second fav LC! record. Really loving it. Let it Spill is probably the only track I'm not big on.

It's not a standout, but doesn't bother me like a couple on Hello Sadness did.

Great fucking album and yeah at some point this might solidly become my #2 below the debut, which is my favorite album post-2000 I think.

And Cobbler you need to rate this shit high so it has a chance in the year-end list.

I've really gotta go back to Hello Sadness. I don't think I gave it a fair shot.

Anyway yeah this will be in my top ten, not quite sure where yet though.

Raters gonna rate

Cemetery Gaits
As Lucerne/The Low
What Death Leaves Behind
For Flotsam
Avocado, Baby
Selling Rope
Glue Me (would be higher if it wasn't for that godawful "I'll be gloomy until they glue me..." line)
Portrait of the Trequartista
Time Before the Last Time
Let it Spill

Romance is Boring
No Blues
Hold On Now, Youngster...
We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed
Hello Sadness

Back
Top Bottom