Lollapalooza 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He needs an intervention. No one else in the band dresses like that any more and he looks like a crazy cat lady. But dear lord he sounded wonderful.

He says his wife likes his hair like that. I want to believe she's just being nice. It's sooooooo dead and frayed now :-(

On my left there was a gay couple and in front of me a lesbian couple, both making out. I felt right at home, it was perfect. Hell yeah Robert Smith doesn't give a fuck. Neither did the crowd I loved it. What a great experience.

Heres where I saw the show from. not bad for booking it after the end of Vampire Weekend.
1004941_10153088687345080_1463659803_n.jpg

I didn't even know that joy division > new order was an opinion, let alone an unpopular opinion around here. I thought it was just fact.

What's fact is that Ian Curtis could have lived another two decades and he never would have written a song as good as Age Of Consent. Or Temptation. Or Regret. Or....etc.

Disorder, Atmosphere and Love Will Tear Us Apart are absolutely up there, and the real kicker is that pop songwriting wasn't even their forte. Joy Division had more interesting instrumental interplay/chemistry than New Order did, as well as two records universally considered to be of A+, 10/10 quality, both of which formed the bedrock of an entire scene. That level of consistency and influence counts for a lot. New Order was/is awesome but Joy Division is definitely the more revered act overall, whether you think they deserve it or not. If they had been offered the opportunity to slip into mediocrity, they probably would have eventually, but they didn't. New Order spread their best work out over numerous albums and singles. It's really a Beatles vs. Rolling Stones situation.

No New Order/JD song can ever touch the mystic, timeless, breathtaking value of Atmosphere. Hands down the best song put out there in my opinion.

I love them both equally and in my mind I can only think of then as Joy Division-New Order to be honest. Ian Curtis is the better lead singer and songwriter sure, but New Order did continue the legacy in my eyes. I can't properly favor one over the other without feeling like I'm doing both bands a great disservice. They are one in my eyes.

And that was easily my favorite show of the festival.

Tomorrow ill write up my own review. Anyone who attended should do the same. It'd be fun to see everyone's opinions.

Disorder, Atmosphere and Love Will Tear Us Apart are absolutely up there, and the real kicker is that pop songwriting wasn't even their forte. Joy Division had more interesting instrumental interplay/chemistry than New Order did, as well as two records universally considered to be of A+, 10/10 quality, both of which formed the bedrock of an entire scene. That level of consistency and influence counts for a lot. New Order was/is awesome but Joy Division is definitely the more revered act overall, whether you think they deserve it or not. If they had been offered the opportunity to slip into mediocrity, they probably would have eventually, but they didn't. New Order spread their best work out over numerous albums and singles. It's really a Beatles vs. Rolling Stones situation.

Not sure that Beatles/Stones analogy works too well. New Order is the act that
provided the heart-bursting pop confections. They also didn't release a shitload of albums like the Stones did. 8 studio albums in 30 years isn't exactly prolific. I'd argue that the progression of New Order's 1980s albums is closer to the development of The Beatles.

Just as Achtung Baby will never fully be given credit for how ahead of its time and genre-bending it was, New Order's blend of rock and cutting-edge club trends can't be undervalued. Not sure if you realize how big of a deal it was for a post-punk band to have one of the most influential dance singles of all time (and not a remix by someone else) just a few years after transitioning from the previous band.

And if you think that Love Will Tear Us Apart has as strong a melody as those NO songs I listed...you're just nuts.

And Joy Division certainly would have slipped into mediocrity, Curtis' robotic delivery would have played itself out sooner than later.

The hard thing about this debate is that we're barely talking about two different bands; it's not like Curtis wrote all the songs alone and the band made a giant left turn in filling this giant void. The guitarist took over the singing duties and I'm assuming the lyrical ones as well (one area where I'll concede the weakness), but the musical core remained the same, and Movement doesn't sound too far removed from where they left off. You can still hear a lot of Joy Division in Power, Corruption, and Lies.

The schedule has been out for a few weeks and you don't. The Cure close Saturdays opposite Kings of LOLeon.

If there is a single person that doesn't choose The Cure in this situation, I will shoot so many muskets at them. Sooooo many.

If there is a single person that doesn't choose The Cure in this situation, I will shoot so many muskets at them. Sooooo many.
I know worse. Friends of mine went to see The Kooks instead of The Cure at last year's Rock Werchter.

You need to become acquainted with Wrong Number. All of the "new" tracks from that "Greatest Hits" album were pretty good. Wrong Number and Cut Here especially.

Yeah, I think I heard it once for the survivor and that was it. I think I've heard just about everything they've ever officially released at least once, but I'm not as familiar as I'd like to be.

ACL is now really tempting.

You're telling me. I'll have the money to go, too, lol.

Actually...oh shit, I didn't realize how late ACL is...I might already be in Texas that weekend....:uhoh:

Give me a bar to sit by to avoid claustrophobic crowd situations and I'd be in, too.

Back
Top Bottom