Lollapalooza 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm curious how Phoenix is a headliner over the Nash. Was Wolfgang really all that big?

Yeah 1901 got more airplay than any National single to date, and they played really well in their 2010 headlining slot. Just a safe choice. I'm not happy that I will be missing them, but obviously the Cure comes first.

I briefly slipped into a coma reading acts 5-11 of Friday, but most of the day is passable enough. The undercard is good, which is more than I can say for Saturday. If I go Saturday, I may end up seeing 360 for laughs. That's how bad it is.

My interests -- bold are the acts I've already seen. * for priority.
Friday, August 2nd:
The Killers
Nine Inch Nails
*New Order
Queens Of The Stone Age
Thievery Corporation
Flux Pavilion
Band Of Horses
Hot Chip
Imagine Dragons
Atlas Genius
*Twenty One Pilots

Saturday, August 3rd:
Mumford & Sons
*The National
The Lumineers
Ellie Goulding
Local Natives
Matt & Kim
Foals
*Family of the Year
The Bright Light Social Hour

Sunday, August 4th:
*The Cure
Phoenix
Grizzly Bear
Two Door Cinema Club
Tegan and Sara
Beach House
The Vaccines
*Family of the Year <--- what's going on here? Another Verve Pipe?
The Mowgli’s

So a lot of headlining conflict looks to be coming my way.

At a summer festival, Foals should be everyone's priority.

I'm curious how Phoenix is a headliner over the Nash. Was Wolfgang really all that big?

Two singles from it got fairly regular airplay compared to the none the National have had. I mean, 93.1 plays Bloodbuzz sometimes, but that's it. The National headlining is a joke to me. The question at this point is what is going to happen to Perry's, because it looks pretty clear to me that they're using it as a main stage this year. There are three headliners every day and besides New Order, not one of them is electronic.

The EDM on Saturday is hilariously awful. Who the fuck are these people? One of Ellie Goulding or Kendrick will be closing Perry's. Steve Aoki is the clear headliner for Friday, and Sunday appears to be Knife Party, if the billing is anything to go by. Major Lazer could too I guess.

Perry's is so weak right now thanks to the other EDM fests, which is OK with me since I never go there anyway. God I hope Kendrick ends up closing there or the Grove (bad idea) so I don't have to watch Mumford/Postal Service.

I'm really, really depressed about Perry's after closing out my weekend with Kaskade last year. I'm going to have to drop some cash on one of those EDM festivals too it looks like.

The good news is, you won't have to twist my arm to go to Perry's for once. Ellie Goulding would be manna compared to the other Saturday closers. I'm legitimately getting excited to see her at this point.

The good news is, you won't have to twist my arm to go to Perry's for once. Ellie Goulding would be manna compared to the other Saturday closers. I'm legitimately getting excited to see her at this point.

We'll have to see, I still think that they're going to do something weird like have Mums on North, NASH on South and Postal Service on Perry's. We'll see, I'd just be surprised after last year to see the Perry's headliner that far down the list. Obviously Ellie makes the most sense thought and I am jazzed as the dickens to see her.

Acts I care about, by day, with asterisks next to bands I've seen already and am therefore whatever about but will probably see them anyway:

FRIDAY
The Killers*
New Order
QotSA
Crystal Castles
Smith Westerns
Father John Misty
Jessie Ware

SATURDAY
The National*
Kendrick Lamar*
Ellie Goulding
Foals
Unknown Mortal Orchestra*

Wow, holy shit.

SUNDAY
The Cure
Phoenix*
Grizzly Bear*
Two Door Cinema Club
Beach House*
Cat Power
DIIV*
Wild Nothing*
Wavves

Angel Haze and Baroness are interesting gets that I probably won't go see but wish there were more hours in the day so I could.

Two singles from it got fairly regular airplay compared to the none the National have had. I mean, 93.1 plays Bloodbuzz sometimes, but that's it.

So what, they're going to play Listzomania 20 times?

I kid. But I guess I am a bit irked at Phoenix all of a sudden being considered this major act when there are bands out there, e.g. The National, with strings of highly-acclaimed albums in their oeuvre.

Oh trust me I turned on them the minute they headlined lollapalooza the first time, but at least that you're there were other ace headliners to make up for them

I kid. But I guess I am a bit irked at Phoenix all of a sudden being considered this major act when there are bands out there, e.g. The National, with strings of highly-acclaimed albums in their oeuvre.

And are actually good?

I don't understand how Mumford & Sons are considered a headliner. But whatever, I like em.

To me, the hands down two biggest bands in this show are The Cure and The Killers, and nobody else comes close. New Order should be bigger though, but they've almost got a semi-cultish following.

OK, on the eve of picking up a ticket to see The Cure for the first time (ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG), I'll give you all what you've been waiting for....MY LIST (* I have seen before and bold are must sees):

Friday:
The Killers*
New Order

Imagine Dragons
Band of Horses (I passed on them last time, because of The Killers)
Crystal Castles
Frightened Rabbit *
Emeli Sande
Jessie Ware

Deap Vally (For you, Laz)

Saturday:
The Postal Service
The National*
The Lumineers
Ellie Goulding
Foals

HAIM

Sunday:
The Cure
Vampire Weekend*
Two Door Cinema Club
Beach House*
Alt-J (Had tickets to their after show last year, but someone stole Travis' cell phone so we were too tied up in talking to the police to catch their set)
DIIV*
Wild Nothing*
Angel Haze
Wavves
MS MR

It wouldn't be a bad weekend by any stretch, we'll have to see if I end up with 3-day passes or not. I'm sure by August I'll work something out. For now, tomorrow I buy my $95 safety net.

Curious... what so you have against seeing the same band twice? I'm so torn between The Killers and New Order right now and I'm crossing my fingers for a scheduling miracle. And I've seen The Killers twice.

I don't have anything against seeing the same band twice, where'd you get that impression?

I have a problem with a band headlining a festival for the 3rd time in 8 years. I also have a problem seeing that band again when I just saw them in December if there are other bands I could be seeing.

I've seen the Killers 3 times now. I will see them many more times in my future, but I've seen them twice now at different festivals and I'm really not going to be missing out on much if I don't hit that a third time.

Well I mean you seemed really disappointed with the lineup in general, because you've seen a lot of the acts.

If you filled a lineup with all bands I've seen before I wouldn't be disappointed. I've seen The Airborne Toxic Event 6 times. I'm seeing them 5 more times in a month. I would love for them to play Lolla, but unfortunately they're only on the Coachella lineup.

Although I do understand skipping The Killers in favor of New Order. I'm leaning that way, if that's the case. But I can only do that if we get enough people to go. I wont leave my friend hanging at The Killers by himself. So I might not have a choice if there's only 2 of us.

I wouldn't even see U2 5 times in one month.

Yeah, I am disappointed by how many of the bands on the lineup I've already seen. It just doesn't quite have that same umph. The bigger disappointment was how many of the bands I had already seen at Lolla.

In other news, my mission is to now find a band on Saturday besides the ones already highlighted that is worth seeing...this is hard. Pujol's alright, but Travis pointed out that the lead singer sounds like the guy from Smash Mouth and now I can't unhear it.

Alright, how many of you fools are going to this? My girlfriend wants us to go

I wish I could go to Osheaga :(

I mean, I guess it's possible. I heard about this new invention the Wright brothers have been kicking around called an "aeroplane"

It's not a for sure thing just yet. I'm not super excited about the lineup, to be honest

Back
Top Bottom