Lollapalooza 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The placement gets more absurd the more I look at this

The Weekend above Franz Ferdinand
Basically everyone is above Dev
FUN (all caps, no period) is in the second column despite having a #1 hit at the moment

But hey, most of these acts were rumored at some point, so it's not exactly weird, wild stuff.

The Black Keys
Black Sabbath
Jack White
Florence
The Shins
Justice
Passion Pit
Sigur Ros
The Weeknd
M83
The Afghan Whigs
Bloc Party
Franz Ferdinand
Metric
Tune-Yards
Twin Shadow
The Tallest Man On Earth
Toro Y Moi
Alabama Shakes
The Gaslight Anthem
Amadou & Miriam
Tame Impala
The Walkmen
Fun.
Neon Indian
Dum Dum Girls
Washed Out
Bear In Heaven
Chairlift
Sharon Van Etten
The War on Drugs
First Aid Kit
Santigold

:drool::drool::drool:

There is a period next to FUN. However the caps are weird.

But yeah, lets doubt it. Please?

Oh, OK, I thought that was just a smudge on the paper.

I can't even read some of the bands nearer to the bottom of the sheet. Orelard nge??

It's going to be awesome when this is wrong and Watch The Throne is there instead of RHCP (who were exiled to Finland).

I'd go through and transcribe this for the sake of clarity, but why bother. We'll know the real lineup Tuesday night.

I gotta say though... those headliners are really weak. The body of that list is phenomenal, but I feel like there's no headliner that's just to die for. I just saw RHCP live and while they were pretty fun, I'll be honest... for being one of my favorite bands... probably the most underwhelming performance and easily the worst selection for their setlist.

I'm a huge fan of Black Sabbath's first four albums and I can't deny that the At The Drive-In reunion is a stellar booking. But yeah, pretty bland headliners. Oh well...Metric, Franz, M83 and The Shins at the same festival is a dream come true for me.

I gotta say though... those headliners are really weak. The body of that list is phenomenal, but I feel like there's no headliner that's just to die for. I just saw RHCP live and while they were pretty fun, I'll be honest... for being one of my favorite bands... probably the most underwhelming performance and easily the worst selection for their setlist.

Is it because there was no Frusciante? Had you seen them before? Was it heavy on stuff from the last two albums?

Is it because there was no Frusciante? Had you seen them before? Was it heavy on stuff from the last two albums?

Never seen em before. No, not heavy on Stadium Arcadium at all. No Charlie, and no Snow. Don't know why they didn't play Snow though. Probably a Frusciante thing. Naturally heavy on I'm With You, though.

But no... I mean like... no Parallel Universe, no Zephyr Song, no Otherside, and then just the order of the setlist was god awful. Encore sucked ass. Didn't save anything good enough to back Give it Away as a finale.

Which show did you go to, 7? Setlist.fm at least says Otherside was played at the Orlando gig.

Which show did you go to, 7? Setlist.fm at least says Otherside was played at the Orlando gig.

Orlando was too expensive, I drove out to Tampa instead.

Orlando's set was better, but still sucked ass.

Sunrise's set was the best. But I mean... who could predict that?

It pissed me off when Minneapolis of all fucking places got such a weird set on leg 3 of Vertigo. It's not that I had any intention of going to that one, but yeah, sometimes good sets get saved for smaller cities.

More often than not though, bands really half-ass it.

I actually used some leftover scholarship money to buy all of my spring concert tickets, and by going to Tampa instead of Orlando I was able to bring 3 friends with me for the same price that one ticket would've been for Orlando. So naturally I did the former.

Personally, I don't believe that lineup is real at all, but I'm not going to cry if it turns out to be so.

Lollapalooza always achieves excellence in those areas though. They had what... Motion City Soundtrack, Two Door Cinema Club, The Naked and Famous, Explosions in the Sky, Portugal. The Man?, KiD CuDi, what else? last year. But they also hd Coldplay, Muse, and Foo Fighters running the headliners. If that lineup is legit, despite the fact that its really good, it doesn't come close to 2011 and really its because stuff like RHCP, Black Sabbath, and Jack White just don't even come close to Coldplay, Muse, or Foo Fighters.

Excuse any innacuracies, did this from my phone.

Well, it all comes back to taste. I thought 2011 was a wasteland. So much bland, straightforward indie rock and awful mainstream rap. Foo Fighters were a lame get because where DIDN'T they play that tour? Deadmau5 was a pathetic headliner by all objective criteria (much like Florence would be now), as was Cold War Kids. Then, yeah, they got Coldplay and Muse AND PUT THEM ON THE SAME DAMN NIGHT which made a uh whole lot of sense. That leaves Eminem who I don't personally care for at all, but I'm not going to say it was a bad pickup.

It was the first Lolla I've skipped purely because the lineup was terrible. So yes, to me this lineup is leaps and bounds superior. No huge name like Coldplay, fine, but it's not like Black Sabbath is going to play everywhere and your little brother's birthday party. This will be one of the very few festivals that picks them up.

Literally the only acts I'm disappointed aren't here at the moment are St. Vincent and The Throne. And who knows, maybe the lineup we have now is fake, making the last few pages of discussion moot.

When its fake and TATE gets announced and you go and you see them and your jaw drops in awe...

I don't know where I'm going with this but yes. It will happen.

Then, yeah, they got Coldplay and Muse AND PUT THEM ON THE SAME DAMN NIGHT which made a uh whole lot of sense.

Yeah, that would've been a tough choice for me. Bad idea, definitely.

This year's festival is too close to a concert I'm going to a few days later, unfortunately, so I can't go 'cause I want to save all my money for the latter date. Otherwise I'd actually consider trying to get a ticket and go out there, especially if Franz Ferdinand did happen to actually show up on the bill. And there's a few other artists on there that might be of some interest to me as well.

But if they tour again later on their own I can always catch them then.

No tough choice here. I'd be pissed as hell that I missed Muse, but not a chance I'd ever consider taking Muse over Coldplay. No way.

For those of you who frequent Lolla, what do you make of the crowds in general? I would be more excited about its presence in Chicago if both Lollas to which I had gone did not have thoroughly atrocious crowds.

For those of you who frequent Lolla, what do you make of the crowds in general? I would be more excited about its presence in Chicago if both Lollas to which I had gone did not have thoroughly atrocious crowds.

The earlier in the day it is, the shittier the crowd will be, as they may just be waiting around an area for a band they like to take the stage. I assume you'll find that at any festival as large as Lolla.

Based on my math, you're paying about $9 an act, which is a great deal for many of them. Of course, yeah, the crowds and weather are terrible. You're not paying that $9 for an intimate performance in an attractive venue, certainly.

Based on my math, you're paying about $9 an act, which is a great deal for many of them. Of course, yeah, the crowds and weather are terrible. You're not paying that $9 for an intimate performance in an attractive venue, certainly.

Eh... in my book you're paying for every act you see, not every act present.

Back
Top Bottom