Lollapalooza 2011 - 20th Anniversary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
So, it's the 20th Anniversary of Lolla this year. The festival will be held August 5th-7th. The lineup comes out next Tuesday, but you can find out who some of the artists are now by playing a trivia game on Facebook. They're releasing three clues a day as to who performers may be. So far the clues have been:

Muse: ("Originally there were nine. Plato called Sappho the tenth. This band must be the eleventh.", April 18)
Damian Marley & Nas: ("Add a legend’s son to a part of The Firm.", April 19)
Delta Spirit: ("To call them multi-instrumentalists is an understatement. These Long Beach folksters’ unconventional musical arsenal includes trash can lids and timpanis.", April 19)
Foster the People: ("If you're not careful these people might pop an ollie on your pooch.", April 18)
Lykke Li: ("Will Mark This Scandinavian Siren’s second lolla set.", April 20)
Skylar Grey: ("Name aside, her skies are looking very blue these days.", April 18)
Tennis: ("This Duo Courts fans with their Rad racket.", April 20)
The Vaccines: ("An injection of their garage rock wards off the blues.", April 19)
Ween: ("Despite their Rhyming stage name, these two aren’t brothers.", April 20) (Though there's the smallest of possibilities this could be RZA & GZA)

The list of potential bands from the Lollaboard are as follows:

Semi-Confirmed/Expected Acts
Semi-Confirmed

!!!
Arctic Monkeys
Best Coast
Big Bang Boom
Cage the Elephant
Civil Twilight
Crystal Castles
Cults
The Drums
Electric Touch
Eminem
Feed Me
Fences
Fitz and the Tantrums
Foo Fighters
Foster the People
G. Love (and Special Sauce?)
Girl Talk
Cee-Lo Green
J. Roddy Walston and the Business
Joy Formidable
Kid Cudi
Lykke Li
Muse
Oh Land
Portugal. The Man
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
Skybombers
Surfer Blood
Tennis
Titus Andronicus
Typhoon
Wax
White Lies
Young the Giant

Suspicious Scheduling
A Perfect Circle
Bright Eyes
Eels
Glitch Mob
Mountain Goats
Okkervil River
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
Phantogram
Primus
Sleigh Bells

All in all, I'm not quite as excited for Lolla this year, and am likely going to go to all three days of Pitchfork this year and just one of Lolla (did the opposite last year). Kind of disappointing since this is the 20th anniversary and all.

I'll try and get a mod to edit this first post when the real lineup comes out if that'll help avoid confusion.

The Trivia game can be found here: Lolla 20th Trivia on Facebook | Facebook

And the lineup will be here when it's released: Lollapalooza 2011 Preview

I was just looking at the Facebook, and I totally scored more points than you in the first day of the trivia game. :whistle:

Well, I guess it'd be cool to see Ween. If they weren't easy to see in better/real venues, playing longer/cheaper sets.

I was just looking at the Facebook, and I totally scored more points than you in the first day of the trivia game. :whistle:

I did...poorly in today's trivia, but I'm surprised you beat me for day one. I cheated and got an insanely high score. Travis' score is my real score without cheating.

Ween: ("Despite their Rhyming stage name, these two aren’t brothers.", April 20) (Though there's the smallest of possibilities this could be RZA & GZA)

Never mind. Perry confirmed to someone on Twitter that it is in fact Ween, and that all of the other guesses are correct as well.

Anyone else here go to the first Lollapalooza?

Jane's Addiction, Siouxsie, Ice-T, Nine Inch Nails, Butthole Surfers, Fishbone...a couple others.

It was pretty awesome, the highlight being Perry Ferrell and Ice-T duetting on Sly & The Family Stone's "Don't Call Me ******, Whitey".

The second Lollapalooza was the first concert I went to with friends (as opposed to with my mom, who took me to The Monkees, my first rock concert). Alpine Valley in East Troy, Wisconsin (RIP, Stevie Ray Vaughan).

I remember for sure: Chili Peppers, Ministry, Ice Cube, Pearl Jam .... and I'm pretty sure some of the other bands were Lush, Jesus and Mary Chain ...... that's all I can remember.

I remember each band getting progressively louder throughout the day, topping out with Ministry (who were second to last, before the Chili Peppers).

Pearl Jam were on fairly early in the day, and it was just before they became huge. I remember everyone really paying attention when they were on, rather than sitting around throwing sod at people, smoking weed and tossing people up in the air on blankets.

Pearl Jam were on fairly early in the day, and it was just before they became huge. I remember everyone really paying attention when they were on, rather than sitting around throwing sod at people, smoking weed and tossing people up in the air on blankets.

One of the best Lolla moments I can remember (and I went to the first five), was this: between bands they would play alt. music over the PA system as usual, and in a nod to the previous year, Jane's Addiction's song Summertime Rolls came on right before Pearl Jam took the stage. Eddie walked out and started singing along with the music, and soon had the crowd singing along, the rest of the band played behind him, then they went right into Why Go and proceeded to fucking OWN that place.

Before moving to Chicago, the only Lolla I attended was in 1994:

The Smashing Pumpkins, Beastie Boys, George Clinton & the P-Funk All Stars, The Breeders, A Tribe Called Quest, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, L7, Boredoms (first half of tour), Green Day (second half)

Side Stage: The Flaming Lips, The Verve, The Boo Radleys, The Frogs (first six dates only), Guided by Voices, Lambchop, Girls Against Boys, Rollerskate Skinny, Palace Songs, Stereolab, Fu-Schnickens, The Pharcyde, Shudder to Think, Luscious Jackson, God Lives Underwater, King Kong, Charlie Hunter Trio, Shonen Knife, Blast Off Country Style, Souls of Mischief, Cypress Hill, The Black Crowes

It fucking poured that day and it caused several delays, and turned the entire fairgrounds to mud...but it was fun. Corgan had lost his voice and really sounded terrible, I remember that.

Wish I'd been old old enough to see PJ play in the early '90s. Back then, that band was just HUNGRY. Violent, vicious, hungry rock and rollers. Especially Eddie.

He may have played up the whole 'shy in interviews, hide behind the long hair, reclusive rock star' thing, but that dude was born to be on a stage. He's a natural performer, and you can really see it in the videos of their shows from the early years. He wanted it. Big time. So intense.

Coincidentally, my first PJ show was at the same venue where I saw Lolla, and it rained that day, too.

They tore the fucking stage up, though. One of the better concerts of my life.

Hope Lolla has it in their budget to get PJ, who actually has some relevance to the history of the festival. They probably blew it all on Eminem, ignoring how washed up he is and how slick his music has gotten. Em would have rocked it back in the day, but taking him, a man who hasn't made a good record in nearly decade over Kanye, someone who is actually reaching his artistic peak is a bad call by Lolla. Chile won out there. I suppose they could have both, I would be absolutely stunned if they booked two hip-hop headliners this year when there were few hip-hop acts of any kind last year.

Mr. Brau would have hated Lolla 2010, of that much I'm sure.

Lolla may be squandering the 20th anniversary, but you all sharing stories is really awesome. This thread makes me happy :).

Also, the new trivia game is up.

"Jeepers Creepers, it's an indie-folk monster!"
"These fresh-faced shoegazers glam-rockers are shooting up the indie charts with their glammed-out garage sound"
"This band put Cavil To Rest for a new name and a claim to fame."

The Cavil To Rest one is Local Natives.

Could the second one be Pains of Being Pure At Heart? I have no idea.

Once quick interesting thing of note. Yesterday in the trivia game there was a question along the lines of "Which of these hip hop acts has never performed at Lollapalooza". The answer was Dr. Dre. It makes you wonder if some of these trivia questions aren't pointing towards artists who will be there as well. I mean, why bother mentioning someone who hasn't been there if he's not going to be? They've mentioned Blonde Redhead a few times in the questions as well, same with Hole.

I will admit the trivia game is making me think, and I have fun playing it. I'm still just grumpy that we didn't get Wheel of Fortune again.

Side Stage: The Flaming Lips, The Verve, The Boo Radleys, The Frogs (first six dates only), Guided by Voices, Lambchop, Girls Against Boys, Rollerskate Skinny, Palace Songs, Stereolab, Fu-Schnickens, The Pharcyde, Shudder to Think, Luscious Jackson, God Lives Underwater, King Kong, Charlie Hunter Trio, Shonen Knife, Blast Off Country Style, Souls of Mischief, Cypress Hill, The Black Crowes

This side stage lineup is phenomenal, and even better than the main list.

First time I saw the Lips was here, I think they were still promoting Transmissions From The Satellite Heart.

Hope Lolla has it in their budget to get PJ, who actually has some relevance to the history of the festival. They probably blew it all on Eminem, ignoring how washed up he is and how slick his music has gotten. Em would have rocked it back in the day, but taking him, a man who hasn't made a good record in nearly decade over Kanye, someone who is actually reaching his artistic peak is a bad call by Lolla. Chile won out there. I suppose they could have both, I would be absolutely stunned if they booked two hip-hop headliners this year when there were few hip-hop acts of any kind last year.

Mr. Brau would have hated Lolla 2010, of that much I'm sure.

I was thinking about going to Lolla JUST to see Eminem. I'm still kicking myself over missing his Yankee Stadium show with JayZ last year, being I'm a Yankees fan and living near NYC and all. I don't consider him "washed up"..."Recovery" looks like it's going to join "London Calling" and "Achtung Baby" as one of my favorite albums of all time. And from what I've seen in YouTube clips, the man can still rock the stage.

I remember very little about my Lolla experience in regards to the bands that played. I remember it being the first concert I went to where I saw pot smokers in public. I also saw an extremely drunk guy trying to get his nose pierced by his friend with an earring. There was blood everywhere and it was disgusting. I threw a plastic bottle at the head of a younger classmate that my friends and I could not stand and it hit her right on the top of her head. I managed to escape a scary mosh pit that kept growing. It was a hot, sticky and gross day and I decided after that one I would never go back.

"Recovery" looks like it's going to join "London Calling" and "Achtung Baby"

:(

:wink:

I remember very little about my Lolla experience in regards to the bands that played. I remember it being the first concert I went to where I saw pot smokers in public. I also saw an extremely drunk guy trying to get his nose pierced by his friend with an earring. There was blood everywhere and it was disgusting. I threw a plastic bottle at the head of a younger classmate that my friends and I could not stand and it hit her right on the top of her head. I managed to escape a scary mosh pit that kept growing. It was a hot, sticky and gross day and I decided after that one I would never go back.

If someone did that in Southapalooza, they would either be moved over to the more raucous Northapalooza or excommunicated entirely. The young'uns that caused trouble in the 90s are now old and working white collar jobs, much to our country's detriment, and their children are Sleigh Bells and Grizzly Bear fans that are incapable of doing much of anything.

:(

:wink:

If someone did that in Southapalooza, they would either be moved over to the more raucous Northapalooza or excommunicated entirely. The young'uns that caused trouble in the 90s are now old and working white collar jobs, much to our country's detriment, and their children are Sleigh Bells and Grizzly Bear fans that are incapable of doing much of anything.

I am now one of those old ladies and thankfully I do not have any children. :wink:

I went in 1993 too. RageATM, AIC, Tool, Primus, Dinosaur Jr, Fishbone, Arrested Development...there were others but I was really fucked up and can only remember the bigger names. That and I am too lazy to Google it.

Oh and the lesser known Front 242
"Hey poor! You don't have to be poor anymore! Jesus is here!"

I was pretty heavily into industrial after my metal phase. Ministry, Nitzer Ebb, Revoltng Cocks...hell, anything Al Jourgensen worked on.

Back
Top Bottom