Lollapalooza 2009 - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
I must admit, oneblood...I think that "Brother Sport" sounds pretty magical. Really, though, that's because all that's ever kept me trying, with this band, is the promise of more Avey Tare shrieking. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. That's all "Peacebone" is to me--a series of glorious, perfectly orchestrated squeals. Amazing shit. Still, though...those poor people. The heat index is around 99, and the humidity in the post-90% range. It must be murder.
Eh. I could do without it. That was the only song of the set I saw though, so maybe they were much worse earlier? Yeah, I can't imagine being there right now. It's humid as hell up here; I was sweating just walking around. Being in a massive crowd? No thanks.

Hilariously enough, just before watching the webcast, I'd decided to throw MPP on the turntable. Amazing how much better that album sounds on vinyl.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:03 PM
This isn't quite the place, oneblood, but what are you using to clean your LPs, lately? I have had CRAAAAAAAZY problems with new, rather than my old or newly purchased used, LPs being static-ified. MPP springs immediately to mind as a culprit. A lot of the cleaners I've used are hit and miss, re: static. The problem is usually in the drying process--in other words, drying them by hand tends to create more static and then fuck up the playback audio with pops and crackles and such; on the other hand, not drying them by hand lessens static but lends itself to uneven sound (due to uneven drying) and, oftentimes, further accumulation. Do you have any tricks or recommended kits? I swear to you that the vintage ones didn't do this (or at least do it as badly), but these new guys have really fucked me.

Or I just got too used to CD audio and clean, old vinyl, in the last few decades. Either way. Thoughts?

Old 08-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
This isn't quite the place, oneblood, but what are you using to clean your LPs, lately? I have had CRAAAAAAAZY problems with new, rather than my old or newly purchased used, LPs being static-ified. MPP springs immediately to mind as a culprit. A lot of the cleaners I've used are hit and miss, re: static. The problem is usually in the drying process--in other words, drying them by hand tends to create more static and then fuck up the playback audio with pops and crackles and such; on the other hand, not drying them by hand lessens static but lends itself to uneven sound (due to uneven drying) and, oftentimes, further accumulation. Do you have any tricks or recommended kits? I swear to you that the vintage ones didn't do this (or at least do it as badly), but these new guys have really fucked me.

Or I just got too used to CD audio and clean, old vinyl, in the last few decades. Either way. Thoughts?
I'm not actually using anything at the moment. I need to buy a brush or kit or something though. Back home, my mom's husband had one of those little brushes, so I just used that before each play and never had issues. Now that you bring it up, since getting my own turntable, I have had some more static, but it's usually because I either don't have the little static grounder connected to my receiver or I have it up too loud and my cheap desktop speakers are freaking out. There's static on some of my records, mostly a few of my vintage ones, as a matter of fact, but MPP is incredibly clear. I know you said it's a problem with other records as well, but I think I remember your copy of MPP getting damaged in shipping, though if that were the problem, I'd think there would be bigger issues than some static. I have read about using wood glue as a cleaner, believe it or not. That's totally at your own risk though; I haven't done it myself, but a couple of people over on what.cd talked about it.

Watching the Ben Harper webcast right now, and I think he's killing it. I'm a huge fan of his, and he's got fantastic energy live, plus I love a guy who can play slide guitar like that.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

When I grow up, I'm going to kill Ben Harper. But, as always, to teach goes his/her own. For example, I think that Belinda Carlisle is one of the best artists of the last 30 years. Most would call me crazy, but whatever. To each, his/her own. At any rate, I want not to rag on Ben Harper or sing the praises of sweet Belinda; rather, I wanted to thank you for a solid post and your input.

Really, for me, it's just the new pressings of records (whether they be brand-ass new or repressings). I know why there's static (not just with MPP, but with everything from Sundazed repressings of surf records to avant-pseudo-black-metal releases on TYPE)--it happens all the time, now, when batches come off the presses and are packaged and then jostled around. I mean, how many times have you had trouble getting an LP out of a jacket, because it was too clingy? All the time. My problem is just getting rid of it, these days. Turrible business.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

It's a reaction I get quite frequently after saying I'm a fan of his. I'm used to it by now.

Yeah, I do get the clinginess all the time as well. It's annoying, since I feel like I shouldn't have to unstick my records from their sleeves to play them. Just looking around online quickly, I found this: AcousTech - Anti-Static Record Brush - Record Cleaner It's a dry brush, but it looks like it'd work well to get rid of some of the surface static. And, it's similar to the one I was using back home, which seems like it was doing something.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:38 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm always antsy about brushes, but I keep hearing good things about these kinds of cleaners. Time to spring for one of them, I guess. I can't help but feel skeptical about dry cleaners, but the evidence seems to suggest I've nothing to fear.

In other news, did No Age actually play...?
Old 08-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Doing a full cleaning after taking them out of storage or buying vintage records is still the best, but the brushes are a good little cleaning boost, is what I'm gathering from reading around a bit.

Yep, I believe so. Whichever member injured himself was sitting down, but they still played, according to Pitchfork.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I forgot to discuss my audience highlights, from the DM set...

1) A quiet guy in my vicinity suddenly getting even quieter, during an early song...and then just straight-up face-planting, to his doom. We had to call over security, cuz the guy looked like he had just died on his feet AND was then getting trampled. When we finally got him up, though, he refused to leave, and they just kind of propped him up on the guardrail. By the end of the set, he was semi-coherent. Very strange.

2) A little while later, two girls came in playing the now-cliche "lie my way to the front" game. Rather than insisting that they got us some beers in a cheap effort to buy good will, the miniature ringleader simply kept insisting that they were just trying to find a way out of the crowd but, you know, since that didn't seem to be working, they'd just have to stay right there. What a shame...! Anyway, I called over security immediately, explained that these chicks absolutely needed to be taken out of the crowd...and then the guys actually did drag them out. Absolutely hilarious. Probably not entirely fair, since I was mostly just taking out a year's worth of frustration with that sort of shallow, faceless behavior on a few pretty harmless idiots, but whatever. Had a great laugh at their fury upon realizing what was happening, let me tell you.

3) About 2/3 of the way through the set, some bro whose buddies had abandoned him started collapsing on people and losing consciousness. Yet the fuck again, security had to be summoned, as this guy was totally incapacitated and weighed like 250 pounds. It was an ordeal to end ordeals, let me tell you, getting him over the rail. Absolutely hilarious to watch a team of like six guys trying to figure out how to do it without killing or depantsing the guy. I'll leave it up to you to guess in which one of those goals they succeeded; just know that it was only one.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #69
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:03 PM
Quote:
Absolutely hilarious to watch a team of like six guys trying to figure out how to do it without killing or depantsing the guy. I'll leave it up to you to guess in which one of those goals they succeeded; just know that it was only one.
He's dead?
Old 08-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Ha. Only his dignity.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #71
Blue Crack Supplier

A friend of mine lost her cell phone at Lolla last night...Security helped her and her friends comb the floor for it...no luck....kept calling it....finally some teenager over at the Bean answered at like midnight and was all "I have your phone"....they went to meet him there, but he was gone. Called him again and he had moved to another place. They went there. He was gone. He had moved again. They called again and asked if he coul maybe just stay in place. He did, then turned down a cash reward.

While this was going on, I was probably vomiting.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:17 AM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I forgot to discuss my audience highlights, from the DM set...

1) A quiet guy in my vicinity suddenly getting even quieter, during an early song...and then just straight-up face-planting, to his doom. We had to call over security, cuz the guy looked like he had just died on his feet AND was then getting trampled. When we finally got him up, though, he refused to leave, and they just kind of propped him up on the guardrail. By the end of the set, he was semi-coherent. Very strange.

2) A little while later, two girls came in playing the now-cliche "lie my way to the front" game. Rather than insisting that they got us some beers in a cheap effort to buy good will, the miniature ringleader simply kept insisting that they were just trying to find a way out of the crowd but, you know, since that didn't seem to be working, they'd just have to stay right there. What a shame...! Anyway, I called over security immediately, explained that these chicks absolutely needed to be taken out of the crowd...and then the guys actually did drag them out. Absolutely hilarious. Probably not entirely fair, since I was mostly just taking out a year's worth of frustration with that sort of shallow, faceless behavior on a few pretty harmless idiots, but whatever. Had a great laugh at their fury upon realizing what was happening, let me tell you.

3) About 2/3 of the way through the set, some bro whose buddies had abandoned him started collapsing on people and losing consciousness. Yet the fuck again, security had to be summoned, as this guy was totally incapacitated and weighed like 250 pounds. It was an ordeal to end ordeals, let me tell you, getting him over the rail. Absolutely hilarious to watch a team of like six guys trying to figure out how to do it without killing or depantsing the guy. I'll leave it up to you to guess in which one of those goals they succeeded; just know that it was only one.
Nice, all great stories. Good for you for getting those girls kicked out. I'm a female, and I still get pissed at those types of girls who think they can just slink up in front of everybody else, bat their eyes, and pretend nothing just happened.

Of course, just after talking about record static, I put All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone by Explosions in the Sky on, and it's got static all the way throughout. Ugh.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:39 AM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
It's a reaction I get quite frequently after saying I'm a fan of his. I'm used to it by now.
Fucking hippie.

Quote:
You're my hero.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:29 AM   #74
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Right now, there's no way in fuck I make it tomorrow. At least I get to watch Yanks/Sox, it's my silver lining.
Sorry to hear that, Mike. Meeting up with you was a presumed highlight of the day (or at least the slower portions). Regardless, I hope your Yankees make a mockery of themselves the same way they've made a mockery of the human race for decades.

Tomorrow:

Friendly Fires
Bat For Lashes
Dan Deacon
Neko Case
Passion Pit
Lou Reed
Deerhunter
Band Of Horses
The Killers

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:07 AM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Fucking hippie.
Fuck you. I probably am as close to a modern hippie as is possible.

It's usually his bro fans who get on my nerves though. Hippies are cool, as long as they haven't fried all of their brain cells yet. Bros are always douchey, no matter what.

Tags
lollapalooza