Lollapalooza 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I requested the weekend off...and as soon as I get my money put back in my bank account (stupid ATM errors :mad: ), I'll buy the tickets. I have a Citi credit card, so I can get the 3 day pass for $175. :drool:

Where's everyone staying? I think I'm going to go back to this youth hostel downtown that I stayed at for the R.E.M. concert. It was $35 per night and just a couple blocks from Grant Park.

EDIT: ...Or maybe not. I guess that's what I get for not booking way ahead of time. The only vacancy I found was at the Hilton, which would've cost me over $800 for the weekend.

That sucks....maybe you can stay with an interlander you are comfortable with or something. Or sleep on the streets and call it an adventure.

Where's everyone staying?

I'm staying with a friend... I'm not sure how many other people I'll be with, but if it's not too many I could ask her if you could stay too.

when my friend and I went to Lolla last year we stayed with some random people we found on the Facebook Lolla group like a couple days before :crack: they turned out to be cool dudes. might not be the safest approach, but it worked okay for us...

I'm staying with a friend... I'm not sure how many other people I'll be with, but if it's not too many I could ask her if you could stay too.

when my friend and I went to Lolla last year we stayed with some random people we found on the Facebook Lolla group like a couple days before :crack: they turned out to be cool dudes. might not be the safest approach, but it worked okay for us...

If you could ask, that would be amazing! I'd be willing to pitch in some money or whatever too.

Gotta love hanging out/staying with random people...I've gotten rides home from a few people at concerts, although I don't tell my mom that, she would be more that a little mad at me. :lol:

WHO'S GOING???

also has anyone heard the rumor that Barack-freaking-Obama is going to introduce Kanye? That'd be crazy awesome :lol:

onebloodonelife - sorry I never got back to you. my friend actually cancelled on me so I'm still unsure of where I'm staying :crack: i've got a couple options though

WHO'S GOING???

also has anyone heard the rumor that Barack-freaking-Obama is going to introduce Kanye? That'd be crazy awesome :lol:

onebloodonelife - sorry I never got back to you. my friend actually cancelled on me so I'm still unsure of where I'm staying :crack: i've got a couple options though

No worries, I ended up not able to go because of cash flow issues anyway.

walk_of_shame_1.gif

Well, first off....saw Explosions in the Sky, Okkervil River then Broken Social Scene back-to-back-to-back....and that was awesome.

Then it was time to Rage.

Unfortunately, Rage had to stop playing in the middle of their third song, and twice more.....I am not sure what was going on in front, but Zach kept asking all the fans to take 5-10 steps back, so I assume people were getting crushed up-front. I hope that not too many people were injured......Atomic Bono was likely up there...hope she is ok, and, maybe she can elaborate on what happened.

But, that aside.....they fucking rocked. Seriously. That was just what I needed, a Tom Morello sonic kick right to my fucking gut. I loved it.

Also, back to Broken Social Scene....where the fuck have they been all my life. They were great. I loved the whole set.

Also, back to Broken Social Scene....where the fuck have they been all my life. They were great. I loved the whole set.

I don't know much about them but I'm seeing them on Monday night. I do know that some members of Stars play with them sometimes, although I'm not sure if they're there on this particular tour. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it. :up:

God I really wanna go tomorrow just to see the National, but it's just not happening :sigh: Glad everyone had a great time, maybe I'll finally hit this up next year

God I really wanna go tomorrow just to see the National, but it's just not happening :sigh: Glad everyone had a great time, maybe I'll finally hit this up next year

The National are the main reason that I'm going tomorrow, actually.

BoMac, Broken Social Scene brought on a female lead singer about 1/4 of the way into their set.....could not hear her name when they introduced her, but it might have been the female lead from Stars.

holy shit

holy shit

fucking rage

RAGE

was incredible. I almost got killed during Testify, but it was so worth it

I wasn't at the very front, but I was close-ish at the beginning. I had to hang back a bit and find a spot where I could rock out without getting murdered because I was basically getting squished to death and moshed the fuck around, which I believe is what was happening at the very front. The people on the rail must have been dying. Props to Zach for looking out for everyone.

This one guy on the train said he saw someone up front literally knock this guy over and start beating the shit out of him. As much as I love Rage I could not handle being up in the very front. however the guy behind me for part of the show (I moved around a lot) called me a "concert animal." I consider that quite a distinction at a show where everyone is going insane. Killing in the Name was... :drool:

however, for Radiohead yesterday I was four rows back in front of 75,000 people :D We basically camped out at AT&T stage all day, and during Gogol Bordello (who were awesome) we got pushed even closer to the front. it was great to be up close for Bloc as well. Radiohead was amazing, of course. The National Anthem was fucking SICK. Loved all the stuff from Kid A, and the fact that they played every song from In Rainbows.

so far I have seen:
Holy Fuck
Yeasayer
Gogol Bordello
Bloc Party
Radiohead
Does It Offend You, Yeah?
Foals
Explosions in the Sky
Lupe Fiasco
Rage Against the Machine

btw, people were fainting at Radiohead. Or mostly before them. seriously. camping out all day in the fucking hot sun is no easy business, especially since after Gogol everyone was standing really close together. I'm amazed that I survived that and Rage. there were people completely drunk at Rage which baffled me...I don't think I could rock out all messed up and dehydrated

holy shit

holy shit

fucking rage

RAGE

was incredible. I almost got killed during Testify, but it was so worth it

I wasn't at the very front, but I was close-ish at the beginning. I had to hang back a bit and find a spot where I could rock out without getting murdered because I was basically getting squished to death and moshed the fuck around, which I believe is what was happening at the very front. The people on the rail must have been dying. Props to Zach for looking out for everyone.

This one guy on the train said he saw someone up front literally knock this guy over and start beating the shit out of him. As much as I love Rage I could not handle being up in the very front. however the guy behind me for part of the show (I moved around a lot) called me a "concert animal." I consider that quite a distinction at a show where everyone is going insane. Killing in the Name was... :drool:

however, for Radiohead yesterday I was four rows back in front of 75,000 people :D We basically camped out at AT&T stage all day, and during Gogol Bordello (who were awesome) we got pushed even closer to the front. it was great to be up close for Bloc as well. Radiohead was amazing, of course. The National Anthem was fucking SICK. Loved all the stuff from Kid A, and the fact that they played every song from In Rainbows.

so far I have seen:
Holy Fuck
Yeasayer
Gogol Bordello
Bloc Party
Radiohead
Does It Offend You, Yeah?
Foals
Explosions in the Sky
Lupe Fiasco
Rage Against the Machine

When Holy Fuck launched into "Bulls on Parade", Zach let out an "unghh" early on and I started cracking up, thinking of you going berserk somewhere in the crowd. Glad you did not get injured up there.

Like I said before, Morello blew me away. Rage were awesome.

my favourite thing ever was the entire crowd going UNGH during Killing in the Name.

i loved that the crowd was so into it. obviously people don't need to be killing each other but the fist pumping, jumping, screaming along to every word...it's good.

and yea, Morello is amazingggg

Every day is a National listening party for me. They're the best band EVAR.

Too bad A Skin A Night was so disappointing though.

The National were great, for the record.

Great three days for me, heard a lot of excellent music.

Rage, though, sticks in my head the most. They kicked fucking ass and Bulls On Parade is totally stuck in my head.

Just got back from the Osheaga Music Festival in Montreal (Osheaga is Iroquois for 'meeting place'). Great two days, although I would have loved to have the lineup that Lollapalooza had.

Anyway, I got to see N*E*R*D, Louis XIV, Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, The Black Keys, MGMT, Duffy, The Killers, Iggy Pop and The Stooges, Gogol Bordello, and Broken Social Scene.

For the record, NSW, Broken featured Stars' co-lead singer Amy Millan, tonight. And they were absolutely unbelievable. I was blown away.

For the record, NSW, Broken featured Stars' co-lead singer Amy Millan, tonight. And they were absolutely unbelievable. I was blown away.

Yeah, as Impy the diseased freak-swine mentioned, she's been touring with them.

I am glad that you thought they are as good as I thought they were......

An acquaintance elsewhere mentioned Lolla and something about a riot there - what's that all about? Is he exaggerating the melee at the Rage show?

Back
Top Bottom