Listen to new Travis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The new album has a few good songs on it. I like "Closer" and "Battleships".

Closer seems a little too poppy but still is a great song.

Battleships is very original.

travis has become just another boring band... over the peak... down in the cellar now...

intedomine: Why? Cause commercial radio has stopped playing them?
aren't they on the radio any longer?
the music and the lyrics of the new travis album is lame and boring imo... just blablabla dudelmusic... btw the quality of music has nothing to do with radio airplay... i know a lot of quality bands having no airplay at all ...

I quite like it actually...

It's not earth-shattering or anything, it's pretty much the same standard Travis sound so it's certianly not going to win over any new fans if you already don't like them...

My favourite tracks are currently:

Selfish Jean
Closer
Battle Ships
Under The Moonlight
Out In Space

elevated_u2_fan said:
I quite like it actually...

It's not earth-shattering or anything, it's pretty much the same standard Travis sound so it's certianly not going to win over any new fans if you already don't like them...

My favourite tracks are currently:

Selfish Jean
Closer
Battle Ships
Under The Moonlight
Out In Space

out in space is great :up:

MrBrau1 said:
it's been leaked for weeks.

It's bad.

my brother,
i'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with you here.
it's nothing new, but a nice collection of songs.
i don't know if i'll be listening to it 3 years from now, but it's certainly getting me through the day today.
it's...nice.
that's it - it's nice. that's about all i can say about it.

dudeman said:

my brother,
i'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with you here.
it's nothing new, but a nice collection of songs.
i don't know if i'll be listening to it 3 years from now, but it's certainly getting me through the day today.
it's...nice.
that's it - it's nice. that's about all i can say about it.

don't listen to him :wink:

and I agree with what you say :up:

unico said:
this was the first time i've heard travis. i dunno though...the album didn't really move me too much. i think im gonna give it a second listen though.

I would listen to their album "the man who" it came out in 1999 and its a classic.

intedomine said:
Invisible Band is criminally under-appreciated too....

Pipe Dreams:drool:

Pipe Dreams is my favorite Travis song :up:

I've listened to some of the new songs, not bad but I want to hear the whole thing

:hyper: :hyper:

Travis are pleased to announce dates for their first North American tour in three years. The tour begins July 11th at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia and will cover 16 major cities across North America.

Tickets go on sale this week at www.ticketmaster.com unless otherwise stated.

Dates are as follows:

July 11: Electric Factory, Philadelphia, PA
July 12: Bank of America Pavilion, Boston, MA
July 14: Irving Plaza, New York, NY
July 15: Irving Plaza, New York, NY
July 16: 9:30 Club, Washington, DC
July 18: Clutch Cargo’s, Detroit, MI
July 19: Kool Haus, Toronto, ON
July 21: Vic Theatre, Chicago, IL
July 22: First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN
July 23: Liberty Hall, Lawrence, KS
July 25: Palladium, Dallas, TX
July 26: Stubbs BBQ, Austin, TX
July 27: Verizon Wireless Theatre, Houston, TX
July 29: Tabernacle , Atlanta, GA
July 30: House Of Blues, Orlando, FL
August 2: Sports Palace, Mexico City, MX

source: http://www.travisonline.com/news/north-american-tour-announcement/

From travisonline.com:

J. Smith EP Out Now!
30/06/08

Travis new release, the J. Smith EP is out now in limited edition 10" vinyl and digital download formats.

"a gritty but ambitious track that take the rock operas of The Who as a starting point, with a slight detour to include the choir from Bowie's Velvet Goldmine....bodes well for new LP Ode To J Smith." - The News of the World.

"Echoing the Eighties rock sound of the Police, the title track from Travis' album Ode to J Smith is taken to epic levels by masterful guitar and a Latin choir" - The Observer

Buy online from:

TRAVIS ONLINE STORE

The album Ode to J Smith is now complete and scheduled for release in the autumn. Details will be announced shortly.

here's an article about the "rebirth of Travis"

The re-birth of Travis
By John Earls

"I was surprised how quickly we wrote songs. But I didn't get time to reflect on it - before you know it, things are just happening."

Travis wrote and recorded new album Ode To J Smith, out in September, in the space of just five weeks.

"We deliberately made it more difficult for ourselves," says Fran Healy. "But I think this is the coolest record we've ever made."

With Travis releasing the album on their own Red Telephone Box label, are they, oh yes, "doing a Radiohead"?

Fran laughs. "We're not going to give it away. No chance. It was wise of Radiohead to do that, because they've got a massive fanbase around the world.

"Their album would have leaked anyway, so how do they combat that? What they did was so clever, but I think it was to do with combating it leaking."

Is there a danger people talk more of how albums are released these days, rather than if the album is any good?

"Yes," agrees Fran, 34. "Then again, has anyone who's done it their way released an absolutely awesome record yet? I don't think they have.

"If how we release Ode is talked about more than the record itself, the record won't stay in the firmament very long. Our record is as strong as it can be."

The album was made with new producer Emery Dobyns on basic 16-track gear.

"Doing it so quickly, I thought, 'What are our strengths?'" Fran explains.

"And we're a very, very tight band. And if you're as tight as we are, you sound over-produced if you use ProTools. This is becoming techy, but basically 16-track sounds s***-hot. It's a gamble, but it's paid off. Some of the stuff that happened was totally magical."

On that magic, Fran cites how they had to choose between the two best takes of Friends to go on the album.

"Emery said they were as good as each other, as far as he saw," recalls Fran.

"So we lined one take on the left-hand speaker, one on the right, and played them at the same time. They synced exactly - and I mean exactly. Everyone was 'Wooooah!' You can't force magic to happen like it, we were just tuned in."

During a brief recording break in February, the band judged some demos for Paul McCartney's Liverpool performing arts school, LIPA.

"Paul didn't know we were recording at Rak Studios," says Fran. "He'd just pop his head in at Rak occasionally.

"We had to choose from 15 demos, so we had a jukebox session and gave them a harsh kicking to see who survived!"

Teletext Planet Sound Interviews/Features

I love the song. Sarah is a great b-side also. It really is a song if the who and travis made a child.

Back
Top Bottom