Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GirlsAloudFan

Blue Crack Addict
Hi friends. Let's talk about Lily. She's just come out with a brand new album called It's Not Me, It's You and, well, it's awesome. I've been listening to it a lot over the last few days and it's made of very good things.

Her debut album, Alright, Still, is one of the best pop albums of the decade, and the follow-up does not disappoint. It has a more mature and sophisticated feel to it overall than the debut did, still very melodic, with some new stylistic tricks thrown in there. And it's filled with Lily's trademark wit and observational lyric stuffs. And I love her voice. And she's really cute.

The lead single called The Fear is a huge hit in the UK already. Other standout tracks for me right now are Not Fair (future hit single), 22, Back To The Start, and Chinese. And there are some great tracks that made the album that have been floating around the interwebs for almost a year now...the gorgeous I Could Say and Everyone's At It, and the anti-bigot anthem Fuck You.

I really think you guys should check it out. Or, if you already have, please tell me what you think about it.

Her debut had a few good songs (specifically the first three), but it hasn't aged well for me overall.

In any case, I'm looking forward to this new one. The Fear was solid.

Her debut had a few good songs (specifically the first three), but it hasn't aged well for me overall.

In any case, I'm looking forward to this new one. The Fear was solid.

Coolness. Yeah, track one on the debut was Smile which was her big breakthrough hit and track three was LDN which is one of the greatest and most infectious pop songs I've ever heard.

I'd hit it.

Ha, so would I! But she makes good music, too.

I'm totally buying this tomorrow. Or whatever Tuesday it comes out this month.

Yes! Doooooooo it. It's tomorrow.

LDN and Alfie were top tunes.

She's prettier now then she was a few years back I reckon, probably had all sorts of good make up work done, considering some of the shit she's been through.

Loving the new album :heart: I was a bit worried after I heard Everyone's At It and found it rather underwhelming and wasn't sure about Lily's new direction, but it grew on me and the album has much stronger songs. I like her mix of catchy tunes and sweet little voice and occasionally foul-mouthed and cutting lyrics.

I'm listening to her debut. "LDN" is indeed beautiful. Where's this girl been all my life? We'll see how I like the rest, then I'll move to the new one.

Alright, after runs through both albums, I've noticed quite a few clunkers. I don't think the albums really work for me, but there are a handful of songs I really adore and can see myself coming back to.

I shouldn't have ended that sentence with a preposition at.

Wow, it's actually better than Alright, Still. I'm stunned.

While it lacks a Smile or LDN, it's pretty clear that It's Not Me, It's You is a far more consistent, cohesive, and considered record. Unlike it's predecessor, it would be far easier for me to name off the tracks I didn't like from the album than it would be for me to name off my favorites, which are, for the record:

The Fear
I Could Say
Back To The Start

This album will likely occupy the same spot that She & Him did for me in 2008; it will end up shy of my top 10 for the year, but always be a reliable source of the slickest, catchiest pop around.

I thought "Alright, Still" was a good album, but it wasn't anything that blew me away. However, I have to say that "It's Not Me, It's You" demonstrates some brilliance.

What separates this album from other pop music is the sheer intelligence and cleverness of Allen's lyrics. There really isn't a moment where I truly feel that the words she says are throwaway (I'm sure on a second listen I may be able to find such a moment --- haha).

Overall, check this out. 8.5 out of 10.

I'm loving that a lot of you are loving Lily. LM, those three that you listed are your three least favorite on the album? Those are three of the top ones for me. I might have just read that wrong, though. But it's all good in the hood with a Wood(y) Harrelson.

Impy, I'm really glad that you like some of her stuff, at least, and especially LDN. That's about the perfect summer jam right there. Actually, her entire debut has a summery vibe to it. Of course that could just be because I first heard it during that time of year but, yeah. Hooray for Lily!

LM, those three that you listed are your three least favorite on the album? Those are three of the top ones for me. I might have just read that wrong, though. But it's all good in the hood with a Wood(y) Harrelson.

:lol: No, they were my favorites. Come to think of it, I phrased that poorly.

:lol: No, they were my favorites. Come to think of it, I phrased that poorly.

Haha, ok good, I thought something was strange there. And I wasn't of clearest mind this morning, so that might have something to do with the confusion.

And I am now calling out far and wide for Corianderstem. Cori, did you buy the album yet? If so, I would like a detailed review of the work delivered to my office by 9 o'clock. Or you can just tell me whether or not you liked it!

Does anyone else hear a Smiths/ Morrissey vibe in several of the songs? Tracks like "Never Gonna Happen" and "Not Fair" remind me of material like "Girlfriend in a Coma" in a very good way.

I just listened to it this morning. Good stuff! I like "It's Not Fair, "The Fear" and "Everyone's At It." There were others I liked as well, but those were the three that stood out to me.

I have her first album, and really enjoyed that. I've been hearing "The Fear" on the radio a fair bit, and absolutely love it. Hopefully I'll get around to purchasing the album this weekend. I'm definitely a fan!

I don't want anything more
Than to see your face when you open the door
You'll make me beans on toast and a nice cup of tea
And we'll get a Chinese and watch TV

:heart:

She's one of the few singers who don't align themselves with a rock, rnb, gospal or soul singer. She's created her own unique singing style, she's a talented vocalist and she writes all her stuff. I've just listen to The Fear on YouTube and I think it's fantastic tune. The lyrics are a kinda odd (when I first heard it on the radio I thought she said: I look at the sun and I look in the mirror. I don't care about clothes I don't care about weather). Her mouth has a lot to be desired in terms of her bitchiness but at least she's entertaining. The Fear is her best song although I also liked LDN. It's number one at the moment and I have to say folks, as they are many on interference who think the charts are the be and end all to music, Boots may struggle to knock her off it on Sunday.

Interesting video there. I'm really excited about seeing her in October.

What's your top pop album of the year then? I gotta know.

Interesting video there. I'm really excited about seeing her in October.

What's your top pop album of the year then? I gotta know.

This is.

And I'm jealous. From all the videos I've seen, she's very good live. Girl can sing. And I don't know if she's calmed down or anything, but when she toured her first album she had the reputation of getting wam bam hammered drunk on stage every night. So that could be fun.

I don't know why I said pop, I meant just favorite album.

I have heard she's a lot of fun live. It's at a festival so it's a different dynamic, but I'm hoping for a good hour. And if she's drunk, that'll make two of us.

Back
Top Bottom