Lifes Rich Pageant - REMASTERED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GirlsAloudFan

Blue Crack Addict
25th anniversary remastered reissue of the classic. Comes out on July 12.

Is streaming currently over here: EXCLUSIVE ALBUM: R.E.M.'s 'Lifes Rich Pageant' | SPIN.com

I am currently rocking the fuck out to "Begin the Begin," one of the band's best songs and one of the best album openers in rock history, and it sounds really, really fucking good. I'll be playing air bass along with Mr. Mills for the next couple of hours. What an album.

There's also a ton of demos and shit on the reissue. The demos are also streaming at Spin.

1. "Fall On Me" (Demo)
2. "Hyena" (Demo)
3. "March Song (King of Birds)" (Demo)
4. "These Days" (Demo)
5. "Bad Day" (Demo)
6. "Salsa (Underneath the Bunker)" (Demo)
7. "Swan Swan H" (Demo)
8. "Flowers of Guatemala" (Demo)
9. "Begin the Begin" (Demo)
10. "Cuyahoga" (Demo)
11. "I Believe" (Demo)
12. "Out of Tune" (Demo)
13. "Rotary Ten" (Demo)
14. "Two Steps Onward" (Demo)
15. "Just a Touch" (Demo)
16. "Mystery to Me" (Demo)
17. "Wait" (Demo)
18. "All the Right Friends" (Demo)
19. "Get On Their Way (What If We Give It Away?)" (Demo)

I am not sure that I will be re-purchasing this, but it is my favorite R.E.M. album and a genuine classic.

I just don't care for demos, personally. Alternate versions or the like are cool, but demos typically just sound like crap, and I never want to come back to it again. I hate that it's become normal or ok to throw tons of demos out on the bonus disc, I stopped buying The Cure reissues because of that. I thought REM was on a great track record with having live shows on the first couple.

I definitely want to get this - one of my all-time favorites - but like Mofo, I really don't care about the demo crap. Maybe I'll just purchase the songs individually. :grumpy:

as much as I love REM I always found the 2nd side of LRP (bar "I Believe") a very mediocre contribution to the band's catalogue

lazarus said:
The reason is that Stipe's typewriter has a faulty apostrophe key when he wrote it out.

They didn't bother to change it afterwards.

For real? I wouldn't know. I think it looks cool.

R.E.M. have never done it for me but I should listen to this album, most of y'all really love it.

I am not sure that I will be re-purchasing this, but it is my favorite R.E.M. album and a genuine classic.

i agree with everything iyup says here until i start putting other rem albums up against LRP and realize that i could argue about 3 others to have earned the top #1 spot, depending on the day, mood, or direction the goddamn wind is blowing. but my indecisiveness regarding favorites aside, agreed on the classicness and reservations about re-purchasing. i'll probably just check out the demo while they're streaming and leave it at that. i've gotten over the need to have a bazillion versions of every song from bands i like, unless they are 1) drastically different and 2) sound really friggin cool.

edit: regarding spin, while looking through the site i learned a few things that i didn't know... 1) that apparently rem are already reportedly working on another album, 2) i have some kind of irational hatred for bon iver and i'm not sure exactly why 3) someone will probably call me out on being a soulless jerk for laughing at this http://www.spin.com/articles/coheed-bassist-arrested-robbing-pharmacy?obref=obinsite because mocking addiction is omgWRONG and evil and shit, but i definitely did. and 4) something about a mogwai EP, which reminds me still need more mogwai in my life. because someday i will die, but hardcore won't.

although i am kind of sold on the bad day demo. the humming i believe demo kind of proves the point on sucky demos that needed to be left in the box in the basement (but suddenly i really want a straight up instrumental version like the vocal-less WTFK on the single). like joyful said, maybe i'll itunes the demos and leave it at that. such a love-hate relationship with that option.

edit: wait a minute, there are words next to the stream. that sort of answered that silly question. so everyone who said "bad day" was an attempt at re-writing it's the end of the world...to try to garner some semblence of interest in the band after a big mainstream tapering off was kind of misinformed? well. silly me. i mean, i didn't say that myself, but i could at least understand why others would at the time. hmm. so that's where the "i saw the light" bit came from in several of the live versions i've heard. now, that is the stuff i do like about demos. unfortunatly it's the only thing so far that's standing out as interesting on that half.

I like the sound of the original REM cd's. They arent LOUD unlike so many current cd's. I won't buy the remasters unless I know they haven't been ruined by making them LOUD. The best remasters I've heard are Depeche Mode and Peter Gabriel. Remastering to make a cd sound LOUD is a total fail.

Back
Top Bottom