Life After R.E.M.: Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Besides Country Feedback, I find myself going back to Half A World Away and Texarkana.

I really like both of those.

I've never been a fan of "Losing My Religion" and "Shiny Happy People", but I love almost everything else on the album. "Endgame" is a great little tune, "Near Wild Heaven" is fun and different (it also makes me happy for some reason.) "Half A World Away" is one of the most underrated REM songs out there. "Radio Song" is one of my REM favorites and "Country Feedback" is easily in my REM rushmore.

REM Rushmore:
Talk About The Passion
Perfect Circle
Country Feedback
Cuyahoga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texarkana, Country Feedback and Half A World Away alone justify that album. I'd really include Losing My Religion as well; it's just hard to see it through the fog of massive over-exposure.

I'd take Out of Time over Automatic For The People any day. Any old day. That is, talking of nineties R.E.M. albums.

Something a little bit sad to me about the fact that we have some actual news and all we're doing is the same old tired discussion of tracks and albums that have been around for 25 years. I get it. I guess there's nothing to really discuss about the Stipe performance until we learn more and actually see the thing. I just find the Stipe solo thing so much more interesting than talking about how good Country Feedback is for the millionth time.

Yes, everyone knows Country Feedback is great. Good job everyone.

Something a little bit sad to me about the fact that we have some actual news and all we're doing is the same old tired discussion of tracks and albums that have been around for 25 years. I get it. I guess there's nothing to really discuss about the Stipe performance until we learn more and actually see the thing. I just find the Stipe solo thing so much more interesting than talking about how good Country Feedback is for the millionth time.

Yes, everyone knows Country Feedback is great. Good job everyone.

You realise there's, like, four people left here right? And discussion is dead. There's almost no response to me doing gig reviews or LCD reuniting or Phife dying and the most active this forum has been in the past month is Laz arguing about Radiohead being elitist. I'm not sure why you're so surprised.

For me, Green/Out of Time is a low point in REM's otherwise great run through 1997 or thereabouts. It seems like there's a lot of nostalgia surrounding those but I can't connect with them at all. Oh well.

I listened to Lifes Rich Pageant the other day and the energy and intensity is through the roof there. Bill Berry kicks ass on that album, especially on These Days.

You realise there's, like, four people left here right? And discussion is dead. There's almost no response to me doing gig reviews or LCD reuniting or Phife dying and the most active this forum has been in the past month is Laz arguing about Radiohead being elitist. I'm not sure why you're so surprised.

On the plus side, Gareth Brown writing an enormous block of text and then going out of his way to correct one word of it was fucking funny.

I'm not sure there's any discussion anywhere anymore. It seems to be the nature of the beast, this internets thing. Ok, that's a gross exaggeration, but you can see what I'm driving at. There's plenty here that I don't get into (including some of the aforementioned gig reviews) but that's because I can't, in those cases. If I had something to say, I'd say it.

Of course a fair chunk of music discussion in this forum now isn't music discussion at all, it's who-got-what-ticket-to-what-festival-or-ordered-whatever-deluxe-edition-on-amazon discussion. As a non-concert-goer, again, not much I can add. But at all times, I am lurking ready to pounce.

And in reference to the topic which came up on the last page, I sort of feel like I have a sense what solo Michael Stipe might sound like, from the latter years of R.E.M.'s actual career.

For some reason I picture a Stipe solo career following the lines of Leave(alternate), New Test Leper, and New York rather than Accelerate.

But based on his Instagram these days it may be more ZZ Top-esque.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Based on absolutely nothing, I can't help but imagine Solo Edition Stipe as anything other than a sad crooner.

I think you misread my post. Nowhere did I say I was surprised. I even said "I get it". What I said was that I was a bit saddened by it. Not surprised.

100_evazan_starwars.jpg

Yeah. Wishful thinking on my part that he would maybe do something new or original or more interesting than that. Oh well.

In reference to the debate on the last page or whatever, I don't know that it's any more sad to be discussing a 25 year old REM record for the nth time than it is to be doing the same for The Beatles or Bowie or any other artist of days gone by. It's not like those records aren't still there to be enjoyed, it's not like Stipe or his crew are ever going to reunite or approach what they did back then. So have at it, I guess. Though, admittedly, we should probably put a moratorium on saying how great Country Feedback is. Everyone gets it, and if they don't they probably haven't heard of REM.

Yeah, I don't mean to single out just the tired REM discussion. It all bugs me. And I've been vocal about it over the years. The constant ranking/rating of songs and albums that have been around forever. We've done it all before. Multiple times.

And the most important thing I want to say about it is that it's my fault as much as anybody's. This is what happens when I've spent SO much time on the same message board for so many years. Certain discussions are going to grow very tiresome. I get it. It's how things are going to go on a forum like this. It just bums me out. I wish I wasn't so addicted to clicking on this site. But here I am.

Last edited:
I'm all for discussion rather than mindless ranking (Name Your Top Ten Place Name U2 Songs!), no arguments there.

At this point, I have a history here and it's too late to start over. That's it. There is nothing worse than being a newbie on a message board. Ok, AIDS is probably worse.

1. Red Hill Mining Town
2. One Tree Hill
3. Miami
4. California
5. Van Diemen's Land
6. New York
7. ?
8. ???
9. ?
10. ?

Back
Top Bottom