Life After R.E.M.: Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, Cori, even more than "COO-WELLLL!!" from the live versions of ITEOTWAWKI (AIFF).

Isn't that Man on the Moon? I know this since it makes a track I already don't like to new dimensions of unbearable.

As far as Andy Kaufman songs do, I prefer The Great Beyond by far and away.

And since we're at it, I also prefer Turn You Inside Out to Finest Worksong.

The rest of the album, ehh. Three truly great songs (You Are The Everything, World Leader Pretend, Orange Crush), a few disposably shallow bubblegum songs (Stand, Pop Song 89, Get Up), inferior remake of Finest Worksong (Turn You Inside Out), and then a few decent songs left over.

No love for I Remember California?
One of my favorites from the album.

All this talk has gotten me to go though their entire catalog for the first time in a while.

Automatic is still my favorite 90's album from them, but damn is Hi-Fi good too. Trim it by a couple of songs and you've got perfection.

And Murmur is still my #1.

Isn't that Man on the Moon? I know this since it makes a track I already don't like to new dimensions of unbearable.

Yes, it is. I confused it with another overplayed song (though I don't dislike MOTM as you do).

And since we're at it, I also prefer Turn You Inside Out to Finest Worksong.

Me as well.

Now this is just fucking blasphemy. Finest Worksong is widely regarded as one of R.E.M.'s best tracks, period.

No love for I Remember California?
One of my favorites from the album.

It's good. Sounds too similar to Oddfellows, the previous album's closer, so it's a bit redundant to me.

...is my second favourite on Green after Orange Crush.

A post-90s REM track I really love:

Imitation of Life

One of the few songs on Reveal that are worth listening to.

The Great Beyond is also .... well, great.

Yeah, I've always dug Great Beyond as well. A great sequel to Man on the Moon which has always been one of my favorite REM songs.

I also dug All the Way to Reno and She Just Wants to Be from Reveal.

I changed it once or twice over the past few years, and it freaked people out.

I like Lucille. She's a keeper.

Re: Ignoreland, laz is crazy. It's one of the better songs from Automatic.

I changed it once or twice over the past few years, and it freaked people out.

I like Lucille. She's a keeper.

In my head you have two avatars simultaneously - your current one, and the ONOEZ one.

YEAH

YEAH

YEAH

IGNOREEEELAAAAND

I have no idea why I like that song so much, it's really cheesy.

YEAH

YEAH

YEAH

IGNOREEEELAAAAND

Do you not find it sonically and thematically out of step with everything else on there? I don't know why I'm the lone voice of reason here. It's like if Astral Weeks had a giant diarrhea fart in the middle of Madame George.

It's like if Astral Weeks had a giant diarrhea fart in the middle of Madame George.

I thought of The Way Young Lovers Do as something of an equivalent to this for a long time, but I got over it. Perfect album.

As far as Ignoreland goes...I don't know, the verse melody? The wailing chorus riff? There are a few things in there that appeal to me. But yeah it's way out of step with the rest of an album that's long enough as it is. I wouldn't miss it if it weren't there. I just don't despise it anywhere near as much as you do.

They should have reworked it as an even heavier rocker for Monster.

YEAH

YEAH

YEAH

IGNOREEEELAAAAND

How can a song that gives the finger to the Reagan/Bush era be cheesy? We're talking 12 straight years of bullshit. Michael was angry enough that he actually says "Fuck you, man!" Michael doesn't exactly curse much in his songs. Sure, the production might be a little spotty, but the spirit of the song makes up for it.

I've never actually gone through R.E.M.'s discography completely so I've got some weird holes in my knowledge of them. I haven't heard Document, Green, Monster or Reveal. My favorite is probably either Fables of the Reconstruction or Lifes Rich Pageant. The first four or five songs on both albums are absolutely perfect. New Adventures in Hi-fi comes close though. I also think Automatic is overrated as hell. It's so boring. Give me Out of Time over it any day of the week. I think I like Murmur but I had the same experience with it as Vlad I think, nothing stayed with me.

As for songs, Country Feedback and E-Bow the Letter are my two favorites. It's no coïncidence they're a bit similar. I also really love Blue. Wish they'd made more songs like that. The live version of E-Bow with Thom Yorke doing the Patti Smith vocals is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom