Life After R.E.M.: Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been on an R.E.M. kick lately after taking a break following the heartbreak of the dissolution of the band, and it's funny to come here and see "You are the Everything" and Reveal as the two music related things brought up on this page because I've been loving that track more than ever lately, and was also reminded just how much I love this song:

R.E.M. - I'll Take The Rain (Official Video) - YouTube

Yea, I'll Take The Rain is also a beauty from that album. I'd never seen that video before. Thanks for posting it. Cute. :wink:

Come to think of it, I haven't seen these other videos either for UBerlin, Blue etc. that youtube is recommending. Want to check em out.

Indeed it was. I was kind of annoyed buying it for like 20 bucks total at the record shop months back as there were three more copies in the racks. People really missed out on a fun collection and I'm sure the new one will be just as much of an enjoyable curve ball.

I've often thought something happened to Stipe's voice circa the late '90s.

Although Bono's voice changed a bit as the 90s progressed (and he got that throat-surgery thingie which was apparently a success), his voice remains strong with, if anything, a deeper, stronger timbre than in his youth.

However, to me there are two Stipes -- the good vocalist up to New Adventures in Hi-Fi, and the mediocre one from Reveal downward (Up is may be the transitional one). It's hard to put my finger on it, but his voice just sounds... bad on the later albums.

"I'll Take the Rain" is a good example. It's a really nice song -- despite the over-production and poor mixing -- but Stipe's voice just doesn't convince me the way it did in days of yore.

Not the biggest Reckoning fan, but no Harborcoat? That destroys Gardening At Night.

Shame about nothing from Monster, either. Tongue should have been on there.

Obviously tons of songs to choose from but still.

It's a good list but, when you're dealing with a band that has such a huge number of truly beautiful and substantial tracks that have stood the test of time, it's not all that commendable to come up with ten of them. That's my first reaction at least. I guess the author is just trying to spread some love, so maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.

If I had to pick something off of Up, it wouldn't be Diminished. Suspicion, Hope, and Falls to Climb are all better.

Also, my top ten would have at least one off of Lifes Rich Pageant.

Always been partial to AT MY MOST BEAUTIFUL off of that album. Love those lyrics. Damn.

Man, I've kind of been neglecting this band for a while. I'm feeling an R.E.M. binge coming on here.

Hope is a hot track, too. No doubt. Props to Leonard Cohen.

Lotus an underrated little midtempo rocker, too.

Up is great.

Lifes Rich Pageant is fucking phenomenal. Those first four songs are some of the greatest opening stretches ever.

REM was still in that "let's fill out the disc!!" mentality from New Adventures, so Up is about three songs too long, but it's an underrated album. I'd happily take it over anything they did afterwards.

Murmur is up there for me as well. I think I like New Adventures…. slightly more than Automatic, on the whole, even though Automatic has my favorite REM tune (Find the River).

Pageant, then Hi-Fi, then Document for me. The latter used to be everyone's default fav back in the day so I'm surprised it doesn't rate as highly now.

Back
Top Bottom