Life After R.E.M.: Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those were dark days.

Right, but that was when the original MTV used to play videos a lot more. 120 minutes was great, but I remember when MTV also had Alternative Nation too. I think that show started in the early 90's.

Eventually, MTV would overplay Losing My Religion and, everybody's favorite, Shiny Happy People. :wink:

Right, but that was when the original MTV used to play videos a lot more. 120 minutes was great, but I remember when MTV also had Alternative Nation too. I think that show started in the early 90's.

Eventually, MTV would overplay Losing My Religion and, everybody's favorite, Shiny Happy People. :wink:

Shiny Happy People video always gets me in a good mood. It's probably the worst REM song ever, but I love it at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Stand's video "elevated" the song to a new low.
At least Shiny Happy People had Kate Pierson and was fun to sing along while changing the lyrics to things like "Shiny happy people getting stabbed"

I remember reading but not from what source that R.E.M.'s Monster was one of the most sold back to a music store CD of the '90s and one that can be commonly found at second hand stores.

I remember reading but not from what source that R.E.M.'s Monster was one of the most sold back to a music store CD of the '90s and one that can be commonly found at second hand stores.

Yeah I remember seeing a ton of Monster CDs at Princeton Record Exchange in New Jersey. I think that is how I got my own copy. :p I used to have only the cassette in 1994.

I still have Monster on cassette, and nothing to play it with.

It's like everyone sent them to the remainder bins because of some bad mojo, because it isn't a bad record at all. It was their POP moment.

It does have got some great rock songs on it and I adore Strange Currencies.
Even I have aged better than Monster though.

'Let Me In' is perfection, and for me forgives a little of the descent into dreary self-bludgeoning that marks the closing couple of tracks.

And of course 'Bang and Blame' and 'I Don't Sleep I Dream'. And Kenneth. Quite a few good moments.

What's The Frequency, Kenneth?
Crush With Eyeliner
Bang and Blame
I Don't Sleep I Dream
Strange Currencies

...all great stuff that I thoroughly enjoyed during my teenage years! Loved the music videos too, especially for Kenneth and Eyeliner.

"She's a sad tomato/she's three miles of bad road"

I thought the same as Kieran for a long time but discovered I was wrong, probably through a chords site or something.

Love Monster! That Album got me into REM. Although they used some new-fangled bio-friendly inks on the CD booklet (was it a poster?) and I remember it stunk for years. Damn hippies ;)

"She's a sad tomato/she's three miles of bad road"

I thought the same as Kieran for a long time but discovered I was wrong, probably through a chords site or something.

The reason I realised I was wrong was... what road? What road, Stipe?

Ahh okay lol. Yeah I probably sing it as "up that road" as well. Doesn't bother me.

Love Monster! That Album got me into REM. Although they used some new-fangled bio-friendly inks on the CD booklet (was it a poster?) and I remember it stunk for years. Damn hippies ;)

:lol: I don't remember any new-fangled ink in the liner notes. Will have to take another look. :hmm:

Half the time I don't even know what Stipe is on about...

On Parakeet for example:

The tectonic dispatcher shifts to smooth the ocean floor
And flattens out to warmer winds of Brisbane's sunny shore

That is one of the greatest love songs I have ever heard I think.

It is. And it's a wonderful Beach Boys homage too. The harmonies are absolutely killer, which isn't something I expect from an REM song. They went all the way there.

Up could lose a few songs, but it's great.

Back
Top Bottom