Life After R.E.M.: Discussion Thread - Page 34 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2016, 09:26 AM   #496
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:44 PM
In any case and further to previous posts, I can tell you where all the super nerds go, the AV Club comments threads which are equal parts wonderful and suicide-inducing.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:43 PM   #497
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I feel like there is still a lot of vitality here - it's just coalesced into a smaller circle. The Bowie thread immediately after his passing is the best example: that was therapeutic for me in actually being able to discuss the man and his work, and mourn through the appreciation for that work, with actual fans rather than just hearing Under Pressure and Let's Dance on the radio a few times.

This is still my go-to place for new artist recommendations as well. Chances I would have become a Kendrick or Vince Staples fan without this forum are just about zero.

Good point.
When I joined here I wasn't much into music at all, I was just trying to find some info on the next U2 album. I had seriously only listened to maybe 3-4 bands regularly.
Now most of my favorite bands I have discovered from here. Chances are, I would have never found LCD Soundsystem, Sufjan Stevens, The War On Drugs, Bleachers, Beach House, High Highs, Spoon, etc. if I hadn't come on here. I do appreciate that greatly.
I also love message boards and despise social media. Ax makes a great point about the structure, but also the community aspect is something I really enjoy.
It pains me to see message boards dying off, they're a lot more fun than social media outlets.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:27 PM   #498
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:44 PM
One also has to take into account that this board is for a considerably old band. The level of fandom is going to decrease over time anyway, even with any influx of new fans during a new album cycle.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:31 PM   #499
Blue Crack Supplier

And not to sound whiny, but I made a decent-sized post yesterday in Random about Prince and Elvis Costello albums that was completely ignored. I feel like this wouldn't have been the case when we had more members/more activity, considering how many people like these artists.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:21 PM   #500
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:44 PM
That was a good post and I meant to respond to it. I actually haven't heard The Gold Experience yet and now I'm going to go out and buy it.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:24 PM   #501
Blue Crack Distributor

I feel all y'all re the site.

And about how I check Facebook/Twitter/Interference way too many times each day.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:10 PM   #502
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
One also has to take into account that this board is for a considerably old band. The level of fandom is going to decrease over time anyway, even with any influx of new fans during a new album cycle.

No kidding. HTDAAB had a good new influx, NLOTH had a bit of one, and then SOI - if the forum gained much out of that or the accompanying tour it was bloody hard to tell.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:43 PM   #503
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
That was a good post and I meant to respond to it. I actually haven't heard The Gold Experience yet and now I'm going to go out and buy it.
My work is done.

It was nice knowing all of you.

/lazarus
Old 03-31-2016, 06:14 PM   #504
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Quote:
My work is done.

/lazarus

Old 03-31-2016, 06:40 PM   #505
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:44 PM
Quote:
My work is done.

/lazarus
I haven't heard much of his 90s output at all. I've heard Diamonds and Pearls which I think is pretty damn good.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:02 PM   #506
45:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Though it may not always appear to be the case, I do like you guys a whole lot and will keep checking in here with regularity to see what's up. That said, more frequently than ever I ask myself why I keep posting if it's not as fun as it used to be. There's a lot more at stake for me in stepping away from the forum, but it is similar to what happened to me with watching new episodes of the Simpsons every Sunday years after it had stopped being enjoyable. It reached the point where the act of watching was more dispiriting than anything else. It's at this point that you've got to ask if your life is being made worse by it. Should something fun and engaging be allowed to become a ritual?
Nice analogy

Quote:
And not to sound whiny, but I made a decent-sized post yesterday in Random about Prince and Elvis Costello albums that was completely ignored. I feel like this wouldn't have been the case when we had more members/more activity, considering how many people like these artists.
A good example of something that, three or four years ago, would have kicked off a great, lengthy, fun discussion.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:18 PM   #507
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
I haven't heard much of his 90s output at all. I've heard Diamonds and Pearls which I think is pretty damn good.
That had a couple of prominent singles. But I think the follow-up "symbol" album is significantly better. Sexy MF is better than anything on Diamonds. Plus it has Seven and My Name Is Prince. Overall it's just a great R&B album.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:26 PM   #508
45:33

Much love for Lady Cab Driver? That's one of my fav Prince songs.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #509
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

People talk about Interference being dead, but the what-did-you-last-eat/type-the-first-shit-that-comes-into-your-head/what-are-you-looking-at threads seem to be doing a roaring trade.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:42 PM   #510
Vocal parasite

Can those please be deleted.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
r.e.m.