Life After R.E.M.: Discussion Thread - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2015, 08:37 AM   #286
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
The album ends on a fantastic note with the final three songs. If anything, it stumbles a bit in the middle. By far their best non-IRS effort.

As good as opportunity as any to say that I have always been thoroughly underwhelmed by the majority of Automatic for the People.
I wouldn't say I'm underwhelmed by Automatic, but I will take Monster (for sentimental reasons) and New Adventures (for quality reasons) over it.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:43 AM   #287
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:44 PM
With regards to Monster, What's the Frequency Kenneth is a top five REM song for me but the rest of the album leaves almost no mark. I suppose You is good, but I can barely remember a note of anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
I feel guilty for being unable to really get into R.E.M's first few albums. Especially Murmur, I've listened to it in full a number of times but regretfully can't remember anything from it.
Once upon a time, when I was getting into REM and had a bunch of their eighties and early nineties albums (none of the recent shit), I rated Murmur as their worst album.

Few albums have ever been greater growers for me. Now I'd rank it second after Fables of the Reconstruction.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:54 AM   #288
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:44 AM
Monster is decent. Strange Currencies and Bang and Blame have always been my favorites off the album. Tongue is a weird little song, but I like it. King of Comedy is just horrible, though. Really kills the 1st half of the album for me.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 04-22-2015, 08:56 AM   #289
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Once upon a time, when I was getting into REM and had a bunch of their eighties and early nineties albums (none of the recent shit), I rated Murmur as their worst album.

Few albums have ever been greater growers for me. Now I'd rank it second after Fables of the Reconstruction.
Reading this is pretty encouraging. In all honesty, as much as I admire R.E.M., there's so much of their work that I haven't fully absorbed yet.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:01 AM   #290
The Male

Local Time: 03:44 AM
And since hardly anyone has praised it yet, I will say that Automatic is a top 10 album for me, by any artist. Other than the Abbey Road medley, it has my favorite closing run of songs and even the throwaways have humor and character. It seems to be more of a general public favorite than a fan favorite, but that's OK with me. Very few albums stir me emotionally like that one does and that pathos counts for a lot.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #291
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Automatic's good, but Drive and Find the River are the only tracks I really love. I wouldn't mind if I never heard Everybody Hurts ever again. I can't believe how many people I've met who think REM are a lame old man band because they've only heard Everybody Hurts.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:06 AM   #292
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:44 PM
Try Not to Breathe, Drive and Find the River are the only tracks I truly love. Especially the first one is one of their most underrated ones.

The big singles are a cheesefest. Every single one of them. I was weary of R.E.M. because of that fact, all the way up to high school.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #293
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
Monster is decent. Strange Currencies and Bang and Blame have always been my favorites off the album. Tongue is a weird little song, but I like it. King of Comedy is just horrible, though. Really kills the 1st half of the album for me.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Spinning it right now.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #294
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Automatic's good, but Drive and Find the River are the only tracks I really love. I wouldn't mind if I never heard Everybody Hurts ever again. I can't believe how many people I've met who think REM are a lame old man band because they've only heard Everybody Hurts.
Unfortunately that can be the case. But who needs the heartless brutes to enjoy R.E.M. anyway?
Old 04-22-2015, 12:05 PM   #295
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I wouldn't say I'm underwhelmed by Automatic, but I will take Monster (for sentimental reasons) and New Adventures (for quality reasons) over it.
This. Though I enjoy Monster for having balls and crunch, not because it makes me nostalgic for anything in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
I always felt Bang And Blame was one of the weakest singles they ever released pre-2000. So many better choices they could have made that would have helped the album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
And since hardly anyone has praised it yet, I will say that Automatic is a top 10 album for me, by any artist. Other than the Abbey Road medley, it has my favorite closing run of songs and even the throwaways have humor and character. It seems to be more of a general public favorite than a fan favorite, but that's OK with me. Very few albums stir me emotionally like that one does and that pathos counts for a lot.
Ignoreland has humor and character? It sticks out like a sore thumb, not just lyrically, but (more importantly) on a music level as well. Those awful keyboards make me wince.

I don't ever listen to Reveal or Around the Sun so can't really remember the weak spots on those, but Ignoreland is easily my worst R.E.M. song. And it really mars the album. Disfigures it. A head-slapping move of inserting what is now a dated political song into a funereal, moving album. At least the older political songs (Exhuming McCarthy, Welcome To The Occupation, Orange Crush) had more oblique, poetic lyrics and better melodies.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #296
Blue Crack Supplier

I agree with you on Electrolite, though, El Mel. While I do enjoy it there's definitely a Nightswimming vibe and it pales in comparison.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #297
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:44 AM
Life After R.E.M.: Discussion Thread

I agree insofar as the tempo being too fast, but I like electrolite. I've also really never gotten into Fables, and sad professor is one of my favorite rem songs (since i seem to be just expressing totally random opinions I've probably said several dozen pages back, or in the last thread, already).

I don't want to say automatic is overrated, I'm just really over it. There aren't any songs on it that I really ever need to hear again.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #298
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:44 PM
Electrolite has a completely different vibe to Nightswimming. One is corny and sentimental, the other is playful and satirical.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #299
Blue Crack Supplier

I've listened to both too many times to count and never did one remind me of the other….but perhaps I have a shitty ear for such things, etc.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #300
Blue Crack Supplier

I mean, one can't expect to have an ear for music and a nose for money.

Tags
r.e.m.