Life After R.E.M.: Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saw them 5 times between 1987 and 1995

I am so jealous of you! I saw them in 2003 and 2004, and while both were incredible, it wasn't the original 4. One thing I liked about REM was that they mixed up their setlists a lot, so each show was pretty unique. Obviously they left room for the Greatest Hits, but they also mixed up the rest of the sets a good bit. U2 could learn a thing or two from them about that.

The closest they came to Ohio on their final tour in 2008 was Chicago. That was the summer of my wedding, we had just bought our house... time and budget didn't allow for a 6 hour drive for a concert. Plus I assumed they would eventually make it back to Ohio. Had I known now that they never would, I'd have made the trip.

I never did it. Berkeley seemed like a trek for me back near the start of college (really, it's not) and I just didn't find Around The Sun to be the most compelling thing as a live record although I enjoyed the album. Had I known what I know now, I could've at least gone and listened for free outside the Greek and that would have been sweet. I've both heard shows there (Beach Boys reunion, Postal Service) and paid for some others (Belle & Sebastian, Paul Simon)

Saw them in '95 and '03 at MSG. Before the '95 show, got a beer ticket for drinking a 16 oz. can of Bud in a brown paper bag at Penn Station. I've never paid the ticket. Fuck that shit.

Saw them at Jones Beach in '08. Awesome show, but it rained like a motherfucker and I wear glasses. Despite the rain and the lightning, Michael and the guys were in top form. Glad I got to see them on their last tour.

One of the greatest weekends of my life; I saw Ramones and PJ Saturday night then Natalie Merchant, Radiohead, and REM the next night. Same Austin venue, PJ even covered Talk About the Passion and acknowledged they were playing the next night. Almost 21 years to the day.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Bill Berry came off the farm to join Peter Buck, Mike Mills and the Minus 5 at the 40 Watt last night. :heart:

Does it still have Ignoreland on it?

Because that song prevents it from being a legitimate masterpiece. Maybe the worst thing they ever recorded. It also flies in the face of the "cohesion" that Mills mentions in the above article. It doesn't fit sonically or thematically.

Last edited:
If I'm ever stopped at an intersection next to Laz, I'll make sure to have Ignoreland queued up.

Feel free to describe its merits, unless you think merely being anti-Republican is enough to overlook all of its flaws and its lack of any connection to the rest of the material.

Well it's pretty in your face, the "hardest" song on the album. It has really cheesy synths on an album where they're nowhere else to be found. So I don't know how that adds up to "forgettable". That's a better label for Monty Got A Raw Deal, IMO.

Me too. I also don't hate Ignoreland, although it's definitely near the bottom of the list on the album for me.

I love Monty Got A Raw Deal.

Everybody Hurts is the one I don't like anymore. I just can't with that song. It was never a favorite and then it got beaten into the ground.

Does it still have Ignoreland on it?

Because that song prevents it from being a legitimate masterpiece. Maybe the worst thing they ever recorded. It also flies in the face of the "cohesion" that Mills mentions in the above article. It doesn't fit sonically or thematically.

If I'm ever stopped at an intersection next to Laz, I'll make sure to have Ignoreland queued up.

Everybody hurts

Wow £80 for the deluxe boxset- think I'll be waiting for the inevitable discount on that one. As for the album - Drive is my all time favourite REM track, in terms of their back catalogue it's not my favourite album- I prefer Monster and the albums from Document through Green

Out of Time is better, to me, than Automatic as well.

Monster was a nice return to rocking, I guess, but really only Strange Currencies is a regular play.

I am obsessed (recently, so re-obsessed) with Life's Rich Pageant. And the first side of Eponymous is a perfect compilation...

I've always preferred Out of Time to Automatic, but the latter has grown on me. Just like Reckoning, the first 4 songs are fucking great.

Automatic is huge on the nostalgia factor for me so I rank it pretty high against other REM albums. Drive, Nightswimming and Find The River are all-time favorites for me.

At the moment I'd probably say I like Lifes Rich Pageant, Murmur and maybe Document better. (I know I've been all over the place in the past when ranking REM albums).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom