Life After R.E.M.: Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cobbler was never a part of the cool crew. Or the second he joined it the crew instantly ceased being cool.

And now this thread turned into a high school clique battle? FFS

Sorry REM

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

R.E.M. were really cool at school as evidenced by the All The Way To Reno video.

REM deserves better. Interference is dead. Sacrifice Cobbler to Stipe's beard. Oh the humanity

Say what you will about this forum and its members but nobody's ever stooped so low as to talk about my dear mother in such a way...

And not to sound whiny, but I made a decent-sized post yesterday in Random about Prince and Elvis Costello albums that was completely ignored. I feel like this wouldn't have been the case when we had more members/more activity, considering how many people like these artists.

That's the other thing about message boards--I read it and was like "that's cool." But I had nothing to add, so for all anyone knows I didn't actually see it. I know I'm not the person anyone here is looking to discuss music with since I do hate a lot of stuff most people here like/like stuff no one else here cares about. But if it was like twitter or something, could have at least thrown you the acknowledging star/heart showing or whatever.

I should post more around here, but I'm usually lurking and keeping tabs on you all. Strange to think that I started posting properly back in '07, when Lance was declaring American Beauty to be one of the all time greats and LMP had yet to discover the carnal joys of the library. How things have changed.

2007 was a strong year for this forum. When the Temple Bar was CLICKing, this place couldn't be topped.

I'm sure others have different eras that they preferred.

Last edited:
I'm usually lurking and keeping tabs on you all.

1079635628816469831_zps7bbn5k81.gif

Bouncing off the Everybody Hurts discussion in the other thread....
Does anyone have a good custom playlist for Automatic?
Mine goes as follows...
1 - New Orleans Instrumental
2 - Sweetness Follows
3 - Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite
4 - Nightswimming
5 - The Lion Sleeps Tonight (B-Side)
6 - Drive
7 - Try Not To Breathe
8 - Man On The Moon
9 - Star Me Kitten
10 - Find The River

I feel like mine can use some improvement. Anyone got one they think is better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine goes as follows...
2 - Sweetness Follows
4 - Nightswimming
6 - Drive
7 - Try Not To Breathe
8 - Man On The Moon
9 - Star Me Kitten
10 - Find The River

Automatic is pretty close to perfect. Despite EH's downfalls, I'd keep it on there. I'd get rid of the instrumental(their instrumentals always bored me) and Star Me Kitten. Add one song, and maybe a proper studio recording of the live version of Drive as an outro.

Automatic is pretty close to perfect. Despite EH's downfalls, I'd keep it on there. I'd get rid of the instrumental(their instrumentals always bored me) and Star Me Kitten. Add one song, and maybe a proper studio recording of the live version of Drive as an outro.

I've always liked Star Me Kitten. It brings something a bit different to the album. I like it better than Everyone Hurts, which may seem crazy.
They've opened up the vaults quite a bit and it's all on Spotify, so I'll have to see if there's anything else from those sessions that would work well. I haven't listened to REM in a while and this album in particular for years. I remember hearing a studio recording of "Drive" somewhere on one of those 130 song b side compilations. I'll have to see if I can find it and add it to the mix.
And personally, I love the instrumentals. "Endgame" is one of my favorite REM songs.

Mine goes as follows...
2 - Sweetness Follows
4 - Nightswimming
6 - Drive
7 - Try Not To Breathe
8 - Man On The Moon
9 - Star Me Kitten
10 - Find The River

Don't know if you got some of that from an old post of mine, but I have a custom AFTP track list from 10+ years ago that starts with New Orleans Instrumental into Sweetness Follows.

My big move wasn't bumping up Nightswimming but rather Man On The Moon, which is way too catchy to be a track 10. Don't know what the fuck REM were thinking on that one. I think I have it in the #3 slot.

Don't have the whole thing handy but can look it up later.

I've always liked Star Me Kitten. It brings something a bit different to the album. I like it better than Everyone Hurts, which may seem crazy.
They've opened up the vaults quite a bit and it's all on Spotify, so I'll have to see if there's anything else from those sessions that would work well. I haven't listened to REM in a while and this album in particular for years. I remember hearing a studio recording of "Drive" somewhere on one of those 130 song b side compilations. I'll have to see if I can find it and add it to the mix.
And personally, I love the instrumentals. "Endgame" is one of my favorite REM songs.

I LOVE Endgame, but technically it's not an instrumental, the harmonies are a big part of what makes that song.

I LOVE Endgame, but technically it's not an instrumental, the harmonies are a big part of what makes that song.

True

Don't know if you got some of that from an old post of mine, but I have a custom AFTP track list from 10+ years ago that starts with New Orleans Instrumental into Sweetness Follows.

My big move wasn't bumping up Nightswimming but rather Man On The Moon, which is way too catchy to be a track 10. Don't know what the fuck REM were thinking on that one. I think I have it in the #3 slot.

Don't have the whole thing handy but can look it up later.

Yeah. I remember someone had the idea of putting NOI/SF at 1/2 and I really liked that, guess it was probably you.
I'm okay with Man on the Moon being that late in the album to give it a little kick at the end. My problem is that they put 3 centerpieces of the album at 10-11-12 when you have a couple filler tracks right behind it.

So here's the track listing. There's a long post somewhere in the archives explaining the choices, but I'll let it stand for itself:

SIDE ONE
1. New Orleans Instrumental/Sweetness Follows
2. Man On The Moon
3. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight
4. Try Not To Breathe
5. Everybody Hurts

SIDE TWO
6. Drive
7. Monty Got A Raw Deal
8. Star Me Kitten
9. Nightswimming
10. Find The River

So here's the track listing. There's a long post somewhere in the archives explaining the choices, but I'll let it stand for itself:

SIDE ONE
1. New Orleans Instrumental/Sweetness Follows
2. Man On The Moon
3. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight
4. Try Not To Breathe
5. Everybody Hurts

SIDE TWO
6. Drive
7. Monty Got A Raw Deal
8. Star Me Kitten
9. Nightswimming
10. Find The River

Looks pretty good. I'll check it out. Thanks.

It's funny; of all R.E.M.'s 90s albums, the one that famously ended up in remainder bins everywhere (probably because it wasn't what the masses expected from the band that brought you Losing My Religion and Everybody Hurts) has steadily but slowly grown in my estimation over the years until now I consider it a favourite after their eighties work. Even the parts that felt like bandwagon-hopping grunge at the time have revealed many charms as either the years have passed or I've gotten old.

I refer, of course, to Monster.

It's funny; of all R.E.M.'s 90s albums, the one that famously ended up in remainder bins everywhere (probably because it wasn't what the masses expected from the band that brought you Losing My Religion and Everybody Hurts) has steadily but slowly grown in my estimation over the years until now I consider it a favourite after their eighties work. Even the parts that felt like bandwagon-hopping grunge at the time have revealed many charms as either the years have passed or I've gotten old.

I refer, of course, to Monster.

I swear that every music store I've been to has Monster marked down for $.99. I even saw it for $.49 the other day. Heck, I bought all of their 90's albums for less than $2 each. New Adventures in Hifi got me hooked on REM after I found it on the shelf for $.97 and bought it just for the heck of it (what a great purchase that was).

I've always loved Monster, and have never stopped. While I appreciated the sophistication of its two predecessors, the debut of What's the Frequency Kenneth? was such a relief to hear, a very welcome left turn.

Back
Top Bottom