Let's talk about Beck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GirlsAloudFan

Blue Crack Addict
Beck. The skinny, blonde white dude that got famous in the '90s for that song about being a loser.

Somehow I've never listened to a single album of his. This needs to be corrected.

So, where should I start? I know Odelay is one of the big ones. And I recall seeing a lot of people on this forum giving high praise to Sea Change. I'd like to start with an early album, I think, and might just go with Mellow Gold to begin my Beck journey.

I was partially inspired to look into Beck because of the awesome tunes he wrote for Sex Bob-omb for the Scott Pilgrim movie. And I think he's friends with Jack White, which is cool. I just don't know nearly enough about this guy's music.

But enough about me. What are your favorite Beck albums? Favorite Beck songs? Let's talk about this motherfuckin' guy.

Midnite Vultures is my personal favorite. It's funky as hell. I've been jamming to "Sexx Laws" a LOT lately too.

Midnite Vultures, huh?

Nobody taught this guy the correct spelling of midnight? :wink:

Thanks for the rec, oneblood. I have heard Sexx Laws, and remember thinking it wasn't bad at all. I've heard most of this guy's singles and generally enjoyed them, but just though it was time to jump into a full album or two.

And martha, I will try to see him live if I can.

The only album of his I truly love is Sea Change. The other things I've heard, I've enjoyed, but nothing's been as good as Sea Change.

Midnite Vultures, huh?

Nobody taught this guy the correct spelling of midnight? :wink:

Thanks for the rec, oneblood. I have heard Sexx Laws, and remember thinking it wasn't bad at all. I've heard most of this guy's singles and generally enjoyed them, but just though it was time to jump into a full album or two.

And martha, I will try to see him live if I can.

Rock musicians don't need no education.

YouTube - the IT crowd 'the red door' 1 of 10

:shh: Yes, you do. You've just used a double negative.

No problem, GAF. Hope you enjoy whichever album you dive into!

The only album of his I truly love is Sea Change. The other things I've heard, I've enjoyed, but nothing's been as good as Sea Change.

Agreed. Although I really do like Modern Guilt.

Other than those two, I like his singles a lot, but of the other full albums I've heard ... well, I like his singles a lot.

I always forget that I liked Modern Guilt because for whatever reason, I associate it with Life Death Love and Freedom by John Mellencamp, which I didn't care overly much for

Although I really do like Modern Guilt.

I am also a huge fan of Modern Guilt. I might even place it as my favorite Beck album, but Mutations would probably take that designation on most days.

I also like Sea Change, but the "woe is me" theme really begins to wear on me after about half the album. You would think his whole family tragically died from the way that he talks about that breakup.

Modern Guild was a great surprise indeed, I love that album. Sea Change is my favorite, but I also have to mention Odelay, which is pretty great in my opinion.

Sea Change, Guero and Modern Guilt I like a lot, other than that I think he might be better off with a stronger set of collaborators rather than just pumping out a lot of material. Also, gotta love the Futurama episode "Bendin' in the Wind" with Bender going on tour with him :lol:.

Also, I love how the world shits on Tom Cruise for being into scientology but hipster kids seem to purposely forget Beck's involvement.

I'm with Cassie, Ashley, Alicia and Jive to a degree: Midnite Vultures and Sea Change FTW. The fact that one of those records follows the other absolutely blows my mind and is solid proof that Beck is one talented motherfucker.

I was an absolutely obsessed fan of his a few years back and have heard just about every track he's officially released, b-sides and early demos included. A few of them still resonate with me to this day:

YouTube - Beck - Totally Confused

What kind of twilight zone of shitty taste are we in that Odelay hasn't been mentioned more? What a brilliant, entertaining recording, and a major highlight of the 90's. Nothing else is close, as good as others are.

What kind of twilight zone of shitty taste are we in that Odelay hasn't been mentioned more? What a brilliant, entertaining recording, and a major highlight of the 90's. Nothing else is close, as good as others are.

Odelay is a no brainer. Everyone knows about that one. The other albums mentioned don't get the press that Odelay gets.

Midnite Vultures is my personal favorite. It's funky as hell. I've been jamming to "Sexx Laws" a LOT lately too.

I LOVE that song. Always have :dance:. "The New Pollution" is another favorite of mine, the whole '60s vibe makes me want to don some hippie-ish dress and break into a go-go dance. And the way it opens is awesome.

The only album I've heard of his thus far is Mutations, and it's been a bit since I've heard it. But I know I quite liked it :). I've always liked the songs I've heard by Beck, will definitely have to check out his work even further.

Angela

I usually see the Scientology thing mentioned with Beck in a sad way, like they're disappointed he's wrapped up in such a thing.

I don't have any more of a problem with Scientology than I do with Catholicism (which is a pretty big problem, to be honest). I'm just disappointed that someone who seemed so antiestablishment would turn out to be a follower of any kind of dogmatic institutional bullshit.

It's a shame, but his mother Bibbe was pretty hardcore into it and he just never escaped. It never seeps into the music, so I don't really give a damn.

Everything that I've read suggests that he's far from a zealot. He seems almost ashamed of it.

His work with Ms. Gainsbourg is also quite excellent, and he recently had a great collaboration with Bat for Lashes. I'm hoping that he does such projects more often.

BECK & McSWEENEY’S PRESENT BECK HANSEN’S SONG READER COMING IN DECEMBER 2012 � Beck

songreader.jpg

In the wake of Modern Guilt and The Information, Beck’s latest album comes in an almost-forgotten form—twenty songs existing only as individual pieces of sheet music, never before released or recorded. Complete with full-color, heyday-of- home-play-inspired art for each song and a lavishly produced hardcover carrying case (and, when necessary, ukelele notation), the Song Reader is an experiment in what an album can be at the end of 2012—an alternative that enlists the listener in the tone of every track, and that’s as visually absorbing as a dozen gatefold LPs put together.

:huh: So do I need to go to music school so I can hear the album?

This made me laugh because I was scrolling through, going wtf? I just assumed Odelay was everyone's favorite.

As for Beck live, I know everyone says he's great but the show I saw on the Guero tour was not good. He didn't seem to be interested in what he was doing. The music was great; his vibe was sad or just absent or something.

:huh: So do I need to go to music school so I can hear the album?

No clue what to make of this but maybe it's time to buy that ukelele I keep thinking about. I love McSweeney's, though.

Back
Top Bottom