Let's talk about albums we're looking forward to in 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hadn't heard anything about that, but I searched around a bit, and it looks like there's no consensus as to whether Jay-Z or Eminem (or, randomly, Royce Da 5'9" came up once as well) wrote those verses, but it definitely wasn't Dre. According to Wikipedia, Jay-Z did write "Still D.R.E." from 2001, and it's openly acknowledged that Dre writes almost zero of his rhymes himself.

Hmmm. That's lame that he doesn't write any of his rhymes. His verse in "California Love" is pretty memorable, but I'm assuming Pac wrote that for him?

Hmmm. That's lame that he doesn't write any of his rhymes. His verse in "California Love" is pretty memorable, but I'm assuming Pac wrote that for him?

He's not a rapper, but a producer, and always has been. I actually don't think Tupac wrote that verse, the original version of the song had Dre rapping all three verses, Tupac heard it and wanted to use it. Dre does write the occasional rhyme, but the vast, vast majority are not his own.

Well, this year is shaping up to be a good year in music based on some of the artists releasing.

Well, this year is shaping up to be a good year in music based on some of the artists releasing.

I'm pretty excited for it based on reviews of some albums that I've read, but a lot of this is new territory for me, a lot of bands I'm not familiar with.

The couple of songs I heard off of Ys back in the day were strangely beautiful. And that's a cool album title.

She's a "love or hate" artist, I fall on the love side.

A few others that I'm not sure if they've been mentioned or not are new Ted Leo in March, Liars in March, and Shout Out Louds in Feb. I also just realized new Bouncing Souls apparently came out today, it has been ordered.

Where do you guys recommend starting off with BRMC? I haven't really heard any of their music, and I want to be excited about this new album.

I would go in chronological order. That's what I did. Start with the debut and work from there. They took a bit of a U-turn with the third album, Howl, and went all country/blues/Americana. And it worked. Very cool album. But my personal favorite remains their second album, Take Them On, On Your Own.

EDIT: Aaaaaaand you just inspired me to pop in the debut for the first time in forever. It rules. Definitely start with the debut.

Yeah, the first album is still a great place to start. It made my "favorites of the decade" list, for whatever that's worth.

Personally I'd recommend Listening to Howl and Baby 81 back to back. In all honesty, the first two BRMC do very little for me except for Love Burns.

Spiritualized are apparentely working on a new album that may very possibly come out this year. I've only just started getting into this band and am hooked at the moment. Would love to see them live this year as well.

Where do you guys recommend starting off with BRMC? I haven't really heard any of their music, and I want to be excited about this new album.

I would start here...

BrianJonestownMassacre_TheirSatanicMagestiesSecondRequest_1.jpg

...go here...

138.jpg

...and then cut my losses. But that's just me. Even if BRMC is for you, those two records are essential.

I'm not really sure of everything that's coming out this year, and of course there'll be some releases from bands previously unknown to me that I come to like thanks to interlanders bringing them to light.....

But from the little I know:

Fleet Foxes
Elbow
Arcade Fire
U2
Los Campesinos (getting a little bored of them but still want to hear the new material)
Massive Attack
Natalie Merchant (Haven't loved her solo work but still am curious to see how this one is)
BRMC
Bryan Ferry
Gorillaz
LCD Soundsystem
R.E.M

Okay, that's the first I've heard of a new REM album this year. I know the last one left me underwhelmed, but I remain optimistic that they'll put out another album I'll love. :up:

I entirely agree with NSW. There's just sooooooo much grating filler on their albums you have to wade through to get to the great tracks. Still look forward to hearing the new one, but I never listen to the old material any more.

Ooo I forgot, fingers crossed for a new album from Damien Rice this year as well.

I entirely agree with NSW. There's just sooooooo much grating filler on their albums you have to wade through to get to the great tracks. Still look forward to hearing the new one, but I never listen to the old material any more.

Romance Is Boring is the only album of theirs that hasn't grated on my nerves. I think they've reined in some of their perkiness and other miscellaneous irritating qualities. Los Camp is a good band, but I have a hard time loving them.

Back
Top Bottom