Led Zeppelin - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:58 PM
Led Zeppelin

One of the most potent rock bands of all time, yet producers of some of the most gorgeous ballads I've ever heard as well.

Their influences are fairly obvious, but their own influence is undeniable as well.

I'll always adore bands like Radiohead or The National or Arcade Fire, etc....but whenever I need some music with some power behind it, I turn to these guys first and even after listening to them for 30 years+, they still never let me down.

Here's your place to discuss the mighty Led Zeppelin.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
The Male

When What Is And What Should Never Be really kicks in, baby Jesus smiles.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 10:58 PM
Despite having all their material, I've never heard their albums in their proper tracklists because I bought the only box sets available on CD in the '90's, and they idiotically just have all of their songs randomly assorted across the 6 discs of the two sets.

Idiotic sets in question:

Old 05-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:58 PM
Having the same sort of problem...more like the only disc of theirs in my house is a greatest hits one and I'd much rather have, say, Led Zeppelin IV.

I've got a question for everyone: what made Led Zeppelin so hugely popular? Their music obviously. But I'm still trying to figure it out since I'm starting to get into the band, just kind of discouraged from the losers walking around at my high school with Led Zeppelin T shirts and no knowledge of them whatsoever.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
The Male

They did fucking everything, and they rocked hard doing it. Their ballads are great (Tangerine, Thank You), their rockers are great (are you kidding me?), their blues numbers are great (Led Zeppelin I in its entirety), their folk numbers are good (second side of Zeppelin III), and then there's the jazz and prog and psychedelic and whatever (What Is And What Should Never Be, No Quarter, In The Light), and then you count in their stage presence:

YouTube - Over The Hills And Far Away- Led Zeppelin (Live at Earls Court)

Can you get more badass? Probably not. So, that's how they got so popular: by being awesome. And by stealing from black people who were themselves quite awesome.

Now.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

And they were perhaps the most talented collective of musicians ever to grace a rock band.

Much has been made of their appropriation of the blues, but it is fair to say that their interpretations were so drastically different from the originals that they barely qualified as covers. Just listen, for instance, to Zeppelin's version of When the Levee Breaks versus the Memphis Minnie original. The arrangement is almost completely original in the Zeppelin version.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:58 AM
I think their later work should be more appreciated. I consider Achilles Last Stand to be their greatest song.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

I never really enjoyed "Beavis and Butthead" but I do recall cracking up when I saw an episode with the two of them waching "Over the Hills and Far Away". Appropriately, they were blown away.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
The Male

Oh man, the promo video for Over The Hills is an eyesore, but it's still a perfect song, so that's alright.

Now.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
I think their later work should be more appreciated. I consider Achilles Last Stand to be their greatest song.
It's certainly a major candidate for Bonham's best performance, that's for sure.

And it's prob in my Top 5 Zeppelin songs.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

So no comments on my thoughts re: Houses of the Holy (the song), and whether or not it fits better on the album it shares a title with?
Old 05-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Question:

My exposure to LIVE Zep is pretty limited to How the West Was Won, The BBC Sessions and The Song Remains the Same....along with a few clips here and there. They always struck me, from this limited viewpoint....as inconsistent LIVE....cos I've seen clips where I'm fucking blown away, and I've seen some lesser performances, etc. Am I right in considering them a bit uneven LIVE, but when they fire on all cylinders, simply fucking amazing? Or am I off-base and maybe influenced by notorious performances like LIVE Aid and Atlantic Record's 40th (Both without John Bonham, of course).
Old 05-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus
So no comments on my thoughts re: Houses of the Holy (the song), and whether or not it fits better on the album it shares a title with?

It's one of those songs that would have fit on anything from Houses to In Through the Out Door. But the first half of Physical Graffiti is so excellent in my mind that I would not want to modify it at all.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I'm definitely the wrong dude to ask in that revising albums and track listings is just something I don't give much thought to. IY or LM will respond to you, surely.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
It's one of those songs that would have fit on anything from Houses to In Through the Out Door. But the first half of Physical Graffiti is so excellent in my mind that I would not want to modify it at all.
Fine, but one has to realize that the band's reasoning for leaving it off the album it was recorded for doesn't make a whole lot of sense.