Led Zeppelin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't wish Bonham had died, but the band really needed to end it one way or another. The 80s would have annihilated the band's legacy like it did for most other 70s rock bands.

I don't wish Bonham had died, but the band really needed to end it one way or another. The 80s would have annihilated the band's legacy like it did for most other 70s rock bands.

If Plant's early solo records are any indication, the 80s would indeed have been a George Harrison-esque debacle for the band. I'm a bigger fan than most of In Through the Out Door, though, and think that direction had promise if they had been able to continue down that path. You've got three legit greats on that album in Fool in the Rain, In the Evening, and I'm Gonna Crawl.

I'm glad Bonham died when he did so that we didn't have to hear more synthy shit along the lines of "All My Love".

This. So much this. Been saying it for years.

I'm amazed at how many fans this song has.

On the flipside, I find Fool In The Rain to be a fantastic pop song that mostly steers clear of the electronic elements. I love Bonham's beat, which sounds a bit like the "Purdie Shuffle" to me. Plus that calypso-equse section is awesome.

And the other two iYup mentioned above are indeed standouts. Hot Dog, not so much. I can't sit through Carouselambra either. But I think South Bound Suarez is pretty good.

If Plant's early solo records are any indication, the 80s would indeed have been a George Harrison-esque debacle for the band.

George Harrison had a bunch of big hits in the late 80s and made some good tunes, especially with The Traveling Wilburys (Handle With Care is a great pop song, I will defend it to the death). Although he did make a lot of shit tunes in the late 70s-early 80s, all the Beatles did in that time period.

Also, All Things Must Pass.

Although there were some definite nadirs, I wouldn't necessarily call his solo career a debacle.

Just felt the need to defend my favorite Beatle for a minute. :wink: Carry on.

EDIT: I hate All My Love and if I ever hear it come on the radio I immediately change the station. The slide guitar solo is its only redeeming moment, but I can't bear the rest of the song enough to get to it.

If Plant's early solo records are any indication, the 80s would indeed have been a George Harrison-esque debacle for the band. I'm a bigger fan than most of In Through the Out Door, though, and think that direction had promise if they had been able to continue down that path. You've got three legit greats on that album in Fool in the Rain, In the Evening, and I'm Gonna Crawl.

Those early Plant albums have some classic songs. I wouldn't paint that broad of a negative brush on them.

Obviously they wouldn't have matched their previous output, but I think Zeppelin would have made some solid albums in the 80's. I just get the feeling they wouldn't have succumbed to the whole 80's scene as much as others did.

Those early Plant albums have some classic songs. I wouldn't paint that broad of a negative brush on them.

I'm not saying all his work from the 80s is bad, it's just over-wrought and dated in a way that would not have reflected well on Zeppelin.

Not sure why you posted that in this thread but you'd reckon that people with taste as shitty as that would be thrilled with Lenny Kravitz as an opener.

Well this isn't RMT at all. I've been up a long time.

I deleted the post because it's fun to. I'm not sure if that's something everyone is capable of or if I have special demi-mod powers left over from my month of patrolling the front page.

Last edited:
Has anyone actually listened to that new song yet or has it already occupied the same space as all other unnecessary new tracks created to make reissues/comps more appealing?

I'll admit to judging the song by its title. Still haven't heard it.

Well this isn't RMT at all. I've been up a long time.

I deleted the post because it's fun to. I'm not sure if that's something everyone is capable of or if I have special demi-mod powers left over from my month of patrolling the front page.

So your Demi-Moore powers make Cobbler and I look like the ones posting nonsense instead of you...Ashton Kutcher would be proud.

Has anyone actually listened to that new song yet or has it already occupied the same space as all other unnecessary new tracks created to make reissues/comps more appealing?

I'll admit to judging the song by its title. Still haven't heard it.

I did.

Pretty standard blues rock b-side quality track. It has about as much depth to it as the title suggests.

While on the topic of Plant's solo career, I will contend that his recent work is the best going for any of the elder statesmen types out there. He has five in a row now that are all top-shelf quality.

I'm in the mood for a melody
I'm in the mood for a melody
I'm in the mood for a melody...
I'm in the mood

Back
Top Bottom