Lead singers that stand-out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burlington77

Acrobat
Not sure if there has been a posting on this in the past, but thought I would start one and see where it goes.

This am on my way into work I was thinking of lead singers of bands that really can carry a show on their backs and sometimes, stand-out even more than the band at times.

Here is my list (in no particular order)

-Bono (of course lol)
-Steven Tyler - Aerosmith
-Freddie Mercury - Queen
-Axl Rose (....might be a stretch for this list)
-Mick Jagger - Rolling Stones

...your list(s)....?

I'm not sure what you mean by "stand out." Isn't that what the lead singer is supposed to do? That's why he's called the "frontman."

If you mean in terms of being overly theatrical, then I guess Bono, Jagger, and Freddie Mercury would qualify in that respect.

But you know, one of the greatest bands in the world -- the Beatles -- never really had a designated lead singer, and it didn't prevent them from being successful. Their shows did not depend on the force of a single personality.

And sometimes a lead singer can be mesmerizing even if he is not much of a showman. Kurt Cobain basically was Nirvana, and he managed to hold the audience's attention even when he was just staring at the floor.

I also think R.E.M. never would have made it without Michael Stipe. His onstage behavior was so unusual that you couldn't take your eyes off him; you never knew what he was going to do next. I liked that he was an instinctual performer whose moves did not seem to be rehearsed or calculated.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, how about the worst performer? I love Radiohead's music and I think Thom Yorke has a beautiful voice, but god, he is boring onstage.

I love Radiohead's music and I think Thom Yorke has a beautiful voice, but god, he is boring onstage.

He's not a "C'mon everybody, put your hands together!" kind of guy but I find him fascinating to watch. I love watching all the members of RH but sometimes I'm completely riveted to Thom and his crazy movements. Not unlike Michael Stipe, actually, who you mentioned as someone you can't take your eyes off.

Exhibit A:
Radiohead live: idioteque - YouTube

Axl, in my opinion, definitely deserves to be on the list. Dude was a fucking awesome frontman in GNR's heyday.

Also, I'm obliged to drop the name of one Eddard "Ned" Vedder of House Pearl Jam.

What about just Ed Vedder? Because that's how he's often referred to. Actually, it seems as he started to age he gravitated towards just Ed and kind of wanted to distance himself from being called Eddie. In some of the more recent liner notes he's listed himself as just Ed.

I'm pretty proud of myself for the super nerdy Game of Thrones-ified version of his name that I've come up with. So I will pat myself on the back.

Also, there are a bunch of great rock frontmen that haven't been named yet. Robert Plant, for one, exuded sex, weirdness, mystery, and had that fucking untouchable bluesman/banshee wail.

I'm pretty proud of myself for the super nerdy Game of Thrones-ified version of his name that I've come up with. So I will pat myself on the back.

I was proud of myself for being the first person who was going to point that out but then you stole my moment.

Also, there are a bunch of great rock frontmen that haven't been named yet. Robert Plant, for one, exuded sex, weirdness, mystery, and had that fucking untouchable bluesman/banshee wail.

I liked it too.

Good call on King Robert Baratheon Plant.

Plant is the archetypal rock frontman, in my opinion. He is also my favorite vocalist.

I've seen quite a few theatrical frontmen (Bono, Jagger, Rose, Gahan) but I have to say none of them hold a candle to the stage presence of The Prodigy's Keith Flint. He ignites the stage. Whether he can actually sing or if he's technically just a 'dancer' is up for debate.

I'm going to limit my list to currently active frontmen.

Bono
Thom Yorke
Trent Reznor
Alison Mosshart
Matt Berninger (of The National)
Dave Gahan
Emily Haines

The first one of them all not getting a mention ?

Elvis. Everyone on a list like this owes a lot to him.

I thought maybe she meant Elvis Costello? Ha.

THE Elvis .... well, he had the Jordainnaires, but they were a group of backing vocalists. I don't think he belongs in this conversation, because he's known as a solo artist.

I think that the "frontman" tag certainly applies to Elvis. He sang in front of a band; whether or not he billed them in the name is inconsequential. If U2 decided to play one night as Bono Vox, would we say that Bono was no longer a frontman? It's a purely semantic distinction.

I think that the "frontman" tag certainly applies to Elvis. He sang in front of a band; whether or not he billed them in the name is inconsequential. If U2 decided to play one night as Bono Vox, would we say that Bono was no longer a frontman? It's a purely semantic distinction.

Well, people bought tickets for Elvis performances. Therefore, I would hope for their sake that Elvis stood out; they would need new glasses otherwise. That's why solo acts should be discounted from this discussion...stand out from what? The backing band full of stock session players?

Back
Top Bottom