LCD Soundsystem: One Thread Is Never Enough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At first I thought How Do You Sleep was the clear highlight, but now I think Tonite is a legit challenger. Some very clever lyrics in that one.

Yeah, Tonite is a great song, my current favourite of the album.
Also, do others also think of Midlife Crisis by Faith No More when they hear the intro of I Used To? Not that they sync up, but certainly the sound made me think of that song the first few times I heard it.

The man's an absolute fucking idiot. Not even going to click on that. I saw his tweets on it, "do they even give a shit anymore" or something to that effect. That's, like, objectively wrong. In the popular Australian vernacular, he's a flog.

He has been objectively and definitively wrong on three occasions, to my count:

1. The score he gave Push the Sky Away
2. The score he gave Carrie & Lowell
3. Calling how do you sleep? the worst song on American Dream

There is no worst song on this album. There might be a least best but I can't work out what it is right now.

is that a fucking joke, iyup?! that's contrarianism for the sake of it. what a fuckwit. actually, your other two points make me mad too. I hope you don't still view him as a good critic.

How Do You Sleep? is definitely the best song. the run of I Used To - Change Yr Mind - How Do You Sleep? - Tonite is absolutely insane.

how do you sleep?
american dream
i used to
black screen
tonite
change yr mind
call the police
oh baby
other voices
emotional haircut

That feels harsh, because I genuinely love every song (and would be interested to hear what people think about my earlier post today), but it's what we do on this stupid fucking forum.

Im not saying this album is bad or anything but you kinda got to admit this doesn't quite match the hype that LCD Soundsytem reunion was associated with. it's a solid record, but it seems like, they shouldn't just broken up. I don't think the "fun" that used to be in the older album isn't in this album, imo. you guys have to understand, i personally think this album is quite good but it seems like James over-sold the reunion.

I think you're way off. It doesn't feel lazy or tired or cynical in the way you'd associate with an unwelcome return.

I still need to spend more time with this album (I've heard it about 5 times but always in the car and not focusing 100%) before weighing in, but I do find it to be pretty consistent. I think This Is Happening has more and greater peaks and after re-listening to the whole discography it's still my favorite.

Not to dwell on the negative but when this was announced I was a little snarky talking about how the band is basically just Murphy (much like Reznor with Nine Inch Nails) and that him needing to rally the troops for a new album was kind of bullshit, and I was met with a little pushback.

Looking at the production credits for each song (I bought the CD), I stand by my earlier remarks. Aside from Al Doyle, no one else appears to have made significant, recurring contributions to the writing and recording process. Nancy Whang is fucking useless, appearing on one single track and far from impactful. So to act like this is a legitimate band just doesn't make sense to me, even as a touring unit most of these people could easily be replaced. In a sense this is a testament to Murphy's talents; it's staggering how much of this album he did by himself.

I'm also a little disappointed in my reaction to Black Screen, which has been so hyped around here. I won't say the track doesn't do anything for me, but Murphy's delivery is way too detached for me; I don't feel anything from it. Only the long instrumental outro provides the emotion. We could also talk about the humblebrag nature of the song but that's a little dicier.

Hoping to join in the praise for all the other tracks soon, overall I enjoy this album a lot.

Last edited:
Im not saying this album is bad or anything but you kinda got to admit this doesn't quite match the hype that LCD Soundsytem reunion was associated with.

It's their best album IMO, so I actually wasn't prepared for something this good. It makes their other albums seem inconsistent and choppy by comparison.

is that a fucking joke, iyup?! that's contrarianism for the sake of it. what a fuckwit. actually, your other two points make me mad too. I hope you don't still view him as a good critic.

I do still like him, mainly because his tastes are so eclectic and his reviews actually assess the album instead of harping on about context ad nauseam. Occasionally he has a batshit opinion, but he's always upfront that it's just an opinion.

you guys have to understand, i personally think this album is quite good but it seems like James over-sold the reunion.

Well I think it's more that Murphy has been oversold as a sort of detached counter-cultural spokesman, not that he himself oversold anything. LCD is a great band for passion and pathos but not for broad philosophy the way that so many reviewers would have it.

One of my pet peeves: attaching "you've got to admit" or "let's be honest" to a subjective opinion to make it sound more grounded and substantive.

this album is so good i now consider myself to be a fan. i'm going to see them later this month when they play here, even. i'm trying to get into their other albums too, though. but this album is really fucking amazing. between this and cut copy, i feel relevant. just a little.

Oh I do!!! I forgot. I'm mostly happy with it.

Not to dwell on the negative but when this was announced I was a little snarky talking about how the band is basically just Murphy (much like Reznor with Nine Inch Nails) and that him needing to rally the troops for a new album was kind of bullshit, and I was met with a little pushback.

Looking at the production credits for each song (I bought the CD), I stand by my earlier remarks. Aside from Al Doyle, no one else appears to have made significant, recurring contributions to the writing and recording process. Nancy Whang is fucking useless, appearing on one single track and far from impactful. So to act like this is a legitimate band just doesn't make sense to me, even as a touring unit most of these people could easily be replaced. In a sense this is a testament to Murphy's talents; it's staggering how much of this album he did by himself.

You can go fuck yourself for the Nancy Whang comment, because a) her vocal appearance on Other Voices rules and is the best part of the song and b) she's a fucking champion and a crucial part of the band.

I don't really have a stack of evidence to dismiss your claims, and I noticed the same thing myself reading through the production credits, but I imagine that James comes in with sketches/skeletons ready to go and the band just record them in a room together. Which is still far more involvement than it takes to make a Tame Impala record.

I'm also a little disappointed in my reaction to Black Screen, which has been so hyped around here. I won't say the track doesn't do anything for me, but Murphy's delivery is way too detached for me; I don't feel anything from it. Only the long instrumental outro provides the emotion. We could also talk about the humblebrag nature of the song but that's a little dicier.

I think it's fair to say that I like it a lot more for what it's about than what it actually is. Were it just about another therapist or something I'd probably love it a little less. That's just what Bowie does, elevates everything, even when he's dead and long since not been involved.

No one argued that Murphy isn't doing everything on the albums, though. Your point at the time, as I recall, was that Murphy was being ridiculous by saying he wanted to consult the live band before deciding to bring the project back.

I'm reading Meet Me in the Basement right now, and Murphy specifically addresses that the reason he does everything on the albums is because he's too OCD to be a good collaborator and people find him to be a nightmare to work with.

You can go fuck yourself for the Nancy Whang comment, because a) her vocal appearance on Other Voices rules and is the best part of the song and b) she's a fucking champion and a crucial part of the band.

I don't really have a stack of evidence to dismiss your claims, and I noticed the same thing myself reading through the production credits, but I imagine that James comes in with sketches/skeletons ready to go and the band just record them in a room together. Which is still far more involvement than it takes to make a Tame Impala record.

"Crucial part of the band". The live act, maybe. But easily replaced if not available, let's not kid ourselves. Certainly not crucial to this album. Only appears on one fucking song? That's a special guest.

Bro, leave Nancy alone. She's okay and even I liked her contribution to Other Voices.

No one argued that Murphy isn't doing everything on the albums, though. Your point at the time, as I recall, was that Murphy was being ridiculous by saying he wanted to consult the live band before deciding to bring the project back.

I'm reading Meet Me in the Basement right now, and Murphy specifically addresses that the reason he does everything on the albums is because he's too OCD to be a good collaborator and people find him to be a nightmare to work with.

Well, if his original intention was simply to record again, then I don't think it matters what the other members think. Obviously if he wants to play out he'll need a band. But as I said, he's Trent Reznor; as far as the audidence is concerned he IS the act and anyone else is interchangeable. It's cool that he's loyal to his past collaborators, at least.

Well, if his original intention was simply to record again, then I don't think it matters what the other members think. Obviously if he wants to play out he'll need a band. But as I said, he's Trent Reznor; as far as the audidence is concerned he IS the act and anyone else is interchangeable. It's cool that he's loyal to his past collaborators, at least.
I was about to post "I don't know why this still upsets you a year and a half later" but then I remembered who I am replying to.

I wish I'd heard the new songs before the show so I could appreciate them a bit more as they were being played.

I think the mark of a new album for a stalwart band is 'do I want to hear these new songs in concert?'

And for LCD that answer is absolutely yes. Same with Radiohead. U2, Arcade Fire, no.

I'd like to continue shouting out How Do You Sleep.

This is a fucking tremendous song. Al Doyle described it as a dystopian version of Dance Yrself Clean for a miserable, fucked up world, and that's a pretty apt way of putting it. The similarities are obvious: very quiet first third dominated by persistent percussion, Murphy’s vocals just wading into the mix. But impressively How Do You Sleep takes it a few steps further. The environment evoked by the song really paints a picture in my head, I really can see someone on the edge of cliff looking out, a cold, biting wind blustering around him/her/they. And then there are just so many extra hits/changes of pace. The first comes around three-and-a-half minutes in with the thumping synth blasts, Murphy’s vocals getting more and more visceral. Then more synths then a very simple two-hit drum bit at 5:12 that leads into a full-band menace…. but then that’s not even the peak! More synths, cowbell, come rolling in, and then there’s a rise to the massive peak over about a minute, Murphy reaching a falsetto (not unreminiscent of Bono in Gone, actually) until finally at the eight-minute mark it reaches a glorious high… “erasing our chances… just by asking… HOW DO YOU SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPP” it’s an absolute fucking monster of a song.

Reading the awesome NY music scene book "Meet Me In The Bathroom" and James Murphy comes out the worst of any of the prominently featured players. Sounds like he was a domineering jerk who burned bridges and pushed people away and had a cocaine problem. This was mostly in the early DFA era before LCD even really hit it big so I'm sure he's calmed down a lot and grown since then. But, man, it sounds like he was a serious asshole back in the day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom