LCD Soundsystem: One Thread Is Never Enough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So. This show. This fucking show. Wow. I hadn't seen LCD Soundsystem in seven years. Back then, THis is Happening had come out, but the only tracks they were playing from it at the time were Drunk Girls, Pow Pow and I Can Change, which, whilst a bummer, wasn't the end of the world because the show was still so good.

But yeah, this band means so fucking much to me, they are absolutely in my all-time top 10 or so bands, and I never thought I'd see them again. Managed to snag a GA ticket and decided to go with some friends, and we got pretty lit pre-show and had a few more vinos at the show so I was pretty tanked. We decided to just rock up and dance up the back, rather than fight big crowds and not be able to move up close when they're such a danceable act.

I had a double strength mocha during the day, which, combined with a binge of LCD tunes, and then later wine, got me super fucking amped for the show. There was a part of me that only wanted them to play the bangers, because they do them so well and you have to expend a lot of emotional energy for the ballads. They're opening with Yr City's a Sucker, which is an obscure as fuck choice (it was originally the b-side to Movement, which came out in 2004, before the debut album) but it ruled (as did everything - seriously, LCD are a band I could watch play the exact same show over and over again. They genuinely don't have a bad song) with its cowbells and shit. Daft Punk has never been a huge fav of mine, but it's super fun, and whilst I can take or leave I Can Change it still excels because this band are so good.

Get Innocuous! is by a fucking mile this band's most underrated song, it is a furious banger that becomes even more of a monster live, just sensational. American Dream unfortunately went down like a bit of a lead balloon (relatively speaking - most bands would kill for the audience response for this song, but comparatively to other songs a lot of people used it for bar and piss breaks) but it was awesome to hear, I really love the song, but I think it probably works better on record. Sounds like a Low cut. His downtrodden vocals on it rule and the synth squeals are so satisfying.

You Wanted a Hit is another absolute fucking stomper, severely underrated. It has a fucking sick guitar solo that I was running all around the floor playing air guitar to. Must have looked like such a cockhead, don't care. They still do Tribulations-Movement, which they've been doing for years. Tribulations is on my LCD Rushmore, for sure, it's fucking mental, such a fucking monster banger, and then Movement just absolutely slays. Any other band you'd write it off as a pretty forgettable speed rock track, but LCD just imbibe it with so much of themselves that it's always extremely entertaining. And the story behind it (James Murphy wrote it as a criticism of that whole 'the guitar is back!' shit that swept up indie rock in the early 2000s) plus his self-deprecating lyricism, plus of course when it explodes, makes it just so great. I dunno how he does it, he's like 40-something and not in the best shape and he still throws everything into it.

Call the Police I've taken a while to warm up to but it was really strongly received and sounded great. Can comfortably sit in the set. It finished and then it was time for the first of the tearjerkers, Someone Great, which I could listen to 18 million times and never remotely tire of, it's a sensational song. It's the beating heart of LCD Soundsystem and got huge cheers. My minor complaint about the live version is that the synth beat that comes in at the 34sec mark and lasts throughout is different live, it sounds rather like someone slapping a huge sheet of aluminium or something like that and takes you out of the song a little bit. Still, it's a minor complaint. the song is just utterly, utterly perfect. The long intro, the poignant lyrics, the fact that it's still a really danceable song despite it being one of their more ballad-y tracks... it's just a crowning achievement and I love it to death.

Up next was a third new song (wasn't expecting!), evidently called 'Tonite', and let me tell you folks - this is a great song. Can't remember anything about it cos I was so fucked but I did text my mate saying "This new song is kicking my ass". It definitely has the best energy of the three new songs I've now heard. Fit seamlessly and seemed to go down really well.

I think at this point he referenced the ongoing saga with the venue - Margaret Court Arena is named after a champion Aussie tennis player who also happens to be one of the all-time great homophobes, and James Murphy was like "I don't normally go after people for their ignorance.. but you come after my friends (Gavin recently came out as trans), my family? Go fuck yourself. We like this place, let's come back but let's change the name", which was met with uproarious cheers.

Home was amazing, I was probably a touch too drunk to really appreciate it, but it's my second favourite LCD song (used to get home from nightclubs at 3am and listen to it and it would soothe my broken heart) but it was still really special to hear. NY,ILY was outstanding, as it always is, that Rock n Roll Suicide crescendo just absolutely rules and I think it's easier for them to play now than it was in those last few shows they played in NYC when it was obviously breaking their hearts.

Encore was Dance Yrself Clean, which was just absolutely sensational, what a tune that is, one of the very, very best. That blast when it kicks in reached everyone in the building, it was such a great moment. And then All My Friends, which is the type of song that only a tiny, miniscule percentage of human beings have managed to create. It stands of its own accord, needs no words from me.

A tremendous, tremendous show and one that I hope I will get to see again in the next year or two. Pretty confident that will be the case.

A very, very special band.:heart::heart::heart:

Loved reading this review, cobbler. Thanks for posting.

NY,ILY was outstanding, as it always is, that Rock n Roll Suicide crescendo just absolutely rules and I think it's easier for them to play now than it was in those last few shows they played in NYC when it was obviously breaking their hearts.

Yeah, that was a pretty emotional part of the show here. This is definitely one of my top-5 NYC songs, and they put it out there when playing it.

Encore was Dance Yrself Clean, which was just absolutely sensational, what a tune that is, one of the very, very best. That blast when it kicks in reached everyone in the building, it was such a great moment.

Dance Yrself Clean was my favorite song of the show this side of All My Friends. It is a monster live. Incredible, really.

:up: scrolling back through all the posts we're in total agreement about the comeback. How the hell could you possibly be shitty about one of the all-time great bands back making new music and touring.

Title and cover are lazy, but DAMN. looked pretty ridiculous on first glance too.

I get the impression that they cut back on the massive production of the album from the commercial perspective. Just judging their history and demeanor. Look at the way they sell their tickets...

I could be way off, but it gives off the vibe of wanting to maintain the homemade image. They sound like they want to make a loud sound with the lyrical value of the music, in the sense that they got back together because they have something to say rather than as a cash grab. So it could explain the whole... barebones album cover.

This is such a fucking banger. This album is gonna kick arse eight ways to sunday.

Fucking love the film clip, too. Has a very Rage at 3am feel to it. Dunno how they got their hands on shitty video equipment to make it look so authentically 70s/80s.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/20/arts/music/james-murphy-lcd-soundsystem-interview.html?mcubz=1

There were less heady reasons, too. The show at Madison Square Garden had been booked far in advance and the venue “didn’t think we were going to sell well,” Mr. Murphy said. “They were trying to get a big opener for us,” and suggested a nonsensical double bill with Big Boi from Outkast.

“My theory was, if I make it our last show, we’ll sell it out in two weeks,” he said. The show sold out in minutes. “It wasn’t a total lark, but it was a bit larky,” Mr. Murphy admitted. “But I like making decisions. I find it easy.”

:lol:

So he got the inspiration for making an over-the-top final show (a great one mind you, apart from Murphy's Kermit vocals) from the venue "threatening" him with Big Boi. :D

Some fans are already going crazy over this. :lol: If anyone cares, Al Doyle actually makes a great defense of it on Twitter.

I personally find the whole thing hilarious. The documentary was average at best, but now it probably serves well as an unintentional comedy since it is so pointless.

It's even funnier since I find all three new tracks underwhelming at best. Hopefully the new album doesn't outright suck.

Last edited:
The only people who care are rich young idiots with more money than sense and have their heads up their arses. Everyone else is fucking stoked. The pure love and sheer movement in the room when I saw them last month was astounding. I responded to Al Doyle, his tweet stream was great. I read the article and just thought it was a great feature, nothing else to come out of it :shrug: anyone having a sook about it is a fucking idiot.

Also, you're an idiot too, the documentary was fucking awesome, their return is fucking awesome, and all three songs are fucking awesome and the album and tour and future are gonna be fucking awesome too.

I'm primed to hear new music from LCD, but that documentary is among the most melodramatic things I have ever witnessed.

Back
Top Bottom