LCD Soundsystem: One Thread Is Never Enough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can somebody please explain to me why All My Friends is so great? I like the song but it's far from being my favorite LCD Soundsystem song. I remember listening to it for the first time, going into it with such high expectations... I was pretty disappointed. I expected some sort of climax but that never came. And now, even after 5 or so more listens, I still have the same feeling about the song. It's pleasant but not earth-shattering.

The insistent piano, the driving beat, the breathless, impassioned vocal, the detailed, observant, self-reflective lyricism that grows more real to me with each passing year...I guess I love everything about the song.

It's one of those wonderfully anthemic tracks that actually rises to the occasion lyrically and manages to capture a time and place without feeling forced. Most songs about touring focus on rock n roll exploits, but this one really gets to the heart of what it means to spend your best years doing what you love and not necessarily wanting them back.

The number of memorable verses/lines in the song is staggering:

And if the sun comes up, if the sun comes up, if the sun comes up
And I still don't wanna stagger home
Then it's the memory of our betters
That are keeping us on our feet

You spent the first five years trying to get with the plan
And the next five years trying to be with your friends again

Though when we're running out of the drugs
And the conversation's winding away
I wouldn't trade one stupid decision
For another five years of life

And with a face like a dad and a laughable stand
You can sleep on the plane or review what you said
When you're drunk and the kids look impossibly tan
You think over and over, "hey, I'm finally dead."

James Murphy has written some great songs over the years, but if any one song succinctly represents his favorite themes, it's All My Friends. If it comes up often in discussions of most essential LCD Soundsystem songs, that's because it's a great pick.

Last edited:
Well the two of you can both delete your accounts and get the fuck out of here. I had no idea I was friends with two people with such poor opinions. Home is truly incredible, a wonderful sentiment, perfectly striking the balance between hope and melancholy, great lyrics and vocals, awesome music and a fucking great, lovely fan-made video that James Murphy loved so much he ended up making it the official video.

Fuck you both, offence intended.

:heart:

Can somebody please explain to me why All My Friends is so great? I like the song but it's far from being my favorite LCD Soundsystem song. I remember listening to it for the first time, going into it with such high expectations... I was pretty disappointed. I expected some sort of climax but that never came. And now, even after 5 or so more listens, I still have the same feeling about the song. It's pleasant but not earth-shattering.
It's crazy how much the song mirrors much of my early 20s. I'm starting to get into my Alligator/Boxer phase of life now, but my early 20s were succinctly described by both the lyrics an the feeling in that song. It's a party vibe, but there is a lot of anxiety lurking behind everything you're doing. You're enjoying yourself, but you're starting to become concerned that there's more meaningful shit you're supposed to be doing. It's when you're still going out every weekend but you're starting to wonder if you've outgrown it. He's obviously talking about moving into his late 30s, but I still find it very relatable.

And I'm not sure how the end of the song isn't a climax. It's still the same chords but it's the natural conclusion of it building up for 7 minutes.

The insistent piano, the driving beat, the breathless, impassioned vocal, the detailed, observant, self-reflective lyricism that grows more real to me with each passing year...I guess I love everything about the song.

It's one of those wonderfully anthemic tracks that actually rises to the occasion lyrically and manages to capture a time and place without feeling forced. Most songs about touring focus on rock n roll exploits, but this one really gets to the heart of what it means to spend your best years doing what you love and not necessarily wanting them back.

The number of memorable verses/lines in the song is staggering:

And if the sun comes up, if the sun comes up, if the sun comes up
And I still don't wanna stagger home
Then it's the memory of our betters
That are keeping us on our feet

You spent the first five years trying to get with the plan
And the next five years trying to be with your friends again

Though when we're running out of the drugs
And the conversation's winding away
I wouldn't trade one stupid decision
For another five years of life

And with a face like a dad and a laughable stand
You can sleep on the plane or review what you said
When you're drunk and the kids look impossibly tan
You think over and over, "hey, I'm finally dead."

James Murphy has written some great songs over the years, but if any one song succinctly represents his favorite themes, it's All My Friends. If it comes up often in discussions of most essential LCD Soundsystem songs, that's because it's a great pick.

:up:
It's one my favorite songs of all time, but I didn't include it on my Rushmore because everyone knows it's amazing and I wanted to show my love for some other songs. Sometimes I tend to overthink these things....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am hoping I can get into Sunday's show! (Monday is not an option for me because I am going to Springsteen) I automatically get a code to buy a ticket, so I am hopeful.

Struck out on a ticket for Sunday - now when I am frustrated with Ticketmaster, I will think about my experience on Ticketweb today - what a rinky dink site! I'd be more bummed if I wasn't going to see them eventually at Panorama.

Felt a twinge of longing looking at the setlist, but I will see them in July and it was for the best that I didn't get in - needed to do stuff before vacation, plus I see they didn't go on until 10 and ended after midnight, I would be totally knackered for the marathon that is Springsteen tonight!

One of us here is a complete doofus. See if you can guess which one of us it is.

Clues:

* Thinks $212 is too much to see one band at a festival (seriously thought this for a minute), but thinks nothing of a four-day round-trip to Denver to see same band headline

* Thinks it's a pain in the ass to get to LA for a crowded concert, but will go to Denver

* Thinks a festival in August will be hot and sticky, but crossing the Mojave in August won't be a problem

Sometimes I can be pretty clueless. I still want to go to Denver rather than FYF.

Back
Top Bottom