Lana Del Rey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GirlsAloudFan

Blue Crack Addict
She's been hyped like crazy for the last couple of months. And for good reason. Gorgeous voice, gorgeous songs, gorgeous girl. A bit of an air of mystery about her. Old-school romance with a modern twist. This girl is no joke.

Also, it was recently announced that her highly anticipated debut album will come out early next year and that it's called Born 2 Die.

This is the single that got people's attention. You've probably heard it. If not:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO1OV5B_JDw

This is the title track to the upcoming album. One of the hottest things I've ever seen/heard. Heard it for the first time today and it inspired me to make this thread. I'm now completely on board:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juozfp5edjw&feature=player_embedded

"Come and take a walk on the wild side
Let me fuck you hard in the pouring rain
..."

Ummm, yes, please.

For any interested parties, here's how my kick ass "Video Games"/"Blue Jeans" 45 turned out.

20peiz6.jpg

Homegirl needs to learn to keep that signature in the run out groove.

I still can't watch her videos (when Imps was pushing her months ago), as the lips creep me out. Songs are nice though.

I don't mind that video games song, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm being bamboozled

Good tunez is good tunez.

True. I wish I just knew the tunes. But you know when a band is full of dickholes and it colours the way you hear the music? That's how I feel. Like the fat cat executive stereotype that the Occupy Wallstreet dirtbags are mad at is rubbing his hands together saying "yessss. It's working. maniacal laaaaaugh. maniacal laaaaaaaaugh"

She's been hyped like crazy for the last couple of months. And for good reason. Gorgeous voice, gorgeous songs, gorgeous girl. A bit of an air of mystery about her. Old-school romance with a modern twist. This girl is no joke.

Also, it was recently announced that her highly anticipated debut album will come out early next year and that it's called Born 2 Die.

Except that it's not really her 'debut'. Her first album was released in 2009 under her real name - Elizabeth Grant. There's nothing wrong with an artist changing their name to something less generic but in this case it just seems to be part of a whole marketing scheme to make it seem like she was just discovered and came out of nowhere.

I knew someone would bring that up.

Anybody with half a brain that does a two second search on her Wikipedia page can find out that she put out an album in '09 under a different name. It ain't some big scoop, or hidden secret.

The album coming out next year is Lana Del Rey's debut album.

The album coming out next year is Lana Del Rey's debut album.

No, it really isn't. Now, if she had been lead singer in a band on a previous album then changed her name and gone solo then this could be called HER first album. But that's not the case. This is not her debut album as a solo performer. Her first album bombed so her management went back to the drawing board and came up with this name change and marketing scheme to build up interest in her. There's nothing wrong with that because in the end her talent will make or break her. But please don't try to deny the manipulation of the facts that is going on here.

Forgive me if I'm incorrect here. I might be. But has she released a studio album under the name Lana Del Rey before?

It is a futile discussion, though.

I'm just pretty sure that if this album released next year is the first one under the name Lana Del Rey, then it is Lana Del Rey's debut album. No biggie.

Let's change the subject, and talk about Scumbo's aversion to women with big lips.

After spending a little while reading about Del Rey in August when she was blowing up Hipster Runoff, I decided to try not paying attention to the conscious design of the aesthetic and just enjoy the music. But things like slapping an iMovie Super 8 film grain effect on her Premises video performance linked upthread are bugging me. I'm gonna tune her out if she ends up going for 60s!!!!!!!!! at the same turbo mach speed that Lady Gaga goes with WEIRD!!!!!!

all that said, I really like the tension in the verses of Blue Jeans.

Forgive me if I'm incorrect here. I might be. But has she released a studio album under the name Lana Del Rey before?

So if, for example, Lady Gaga decided to release her next album under her real name then you would consider that her debut album? Is that what you're saying? Because I don't agree. The only difference with Elizabeth Grant / Lana Del Rey is that nobody had ever heard of Elizabeth Grant because her debut album under that name bombed and she is now releasing a new album under a different name. It's still the same person.

Look, I'm not criticizing the name and image change. Obviously it was a smart move on the part of her management because it is creating publicity for her. But in this day and age when, as you said, everyone can google everything, they can't possibly expect to keep her previous recordings a secret. Trying to build up this air of mystery around her and calling this a 'debut' album is just asking for people to dig into her past.

I hadn't heard anything about her until I read a mention of her either in the Oprah magazine or Marie Claire, or something dumb like that. Definitely wasn't on a music blog or anything. I checked out a song or two on Spotify and didn't really think much of her.

But I just listened to Video Games in this thread, and wow, I really liked it. I think her voice could get irritating really fast, so I'll have to like the songs a lot to get through a whole album.

Am definitely curious to hear the album when it's out.

I find the idea of not questioning her as a serious artist because the music is good a bit unsettling. I think a lot of the situation is totally bull shit of the highest degree. However, if the music's good, that's great. I just don't like the idea of ignoring the fact that she seems to be completely a commercial product, created to sell records.

LemonMelon said:
Was Bjork's debut Debut or that weird Icelandic covers album she released when she was 5?

I think in instances like this it's possible to have two debut albums. He'll, I'd be willing to say Fleetwood Mac, for example, have two. When a sound change is significant enough to warrant the situation.

Lana Del Rey is slightly derivative because she always reminds me of.....what was it called again.....

oh yeah, sex.

Back
Top Bottom