Lana Del Rey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If nobody's talked about her music up to this point, I doubt they're going to start now, but I do wish we could. The great thing about her finally having some music out (that is, if LDR is a separate entity from Lizzie Grant) is that we can talk about something besides her lips.

Video Games is still a wonderful song.

I am definitely curious, mainly owing to your remarks about Portishead last night. I will probably give it a listen when it is released this week. Also, I saw quite a few promotional posters for the album around Chicago today.

I looked into it further to make sure my comment wasn't isolated, and indeed, NY Times referred to album's textures as Portishead-like. I know it's a go-to reference re: trip-hop, but there's something to it, if only the fact that both acts feature feminine vocals.

Didn't care much for the album at all. Gave it a 3/5, which for me, means it's pretty middling.

I find it highly ironic that America's sweetheart is only getting decent press in Britain. This rating distribution looks like Noel's solo album.

LemonMelon said:

A review brought to my attention by Tri Angle Records tweeting that music journalism isn't what it used to be and sharing the link. Nice try though. Nearly got me that time.

I can't muster one fuck to give about the score they gave it, but the fact that they didn't even bother to write anything at all is interesting from a broad music criticism standpoint.

OK, thank God. Nobody should ever actively seek out Tiny Mix Tapes.

I loathe TMT, even when I agree with them (though I can seldom tell). That review was just a series of passive aggressive jabs with a lot of meaningless filler in between. At least the P4k review attempted to analyze the music and its sociological implications.

Both places suck for actual written reviews in my opinion, but I still like both sites. What exactly is college teaching kids writing wise these days, specifically how to sound like a self-important douchebag with every sentence?

I swear I'm learning more by specifically studying sports journalism than anyone learning to write for news in our newspapers and blogs.

I bought it yesterday but haven't had time to listen to it yet (or even throw it on my iPod).

It's a shame you didn't have the CD in your car the day it got stolen. Nobody would have gone near it.

Most of the review sites that I trust the most have been unimpressed with it to say the least, so I do not feel a rush to hear it, although I probably will at some point.

I was intrigued by Entertainment Weekly's review, which said there were some tracks that were worth a solid A, but so much that was so inferior that it dragged it down to a C.

I like it. All the missteps (and there are plenty) are absolved by that hook in "Radio."

Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice, bitches. HaHA! College basketball!

It's on Spotify. I've given it three full listens over the last three days. It's hot. My favorite stretch right now is probably Dark Paradise -> Radio -> Carmen, there in the third quarter of the album.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit burnt out on the title track, Blue Jeans, and Vidja Games, but the fact that those songs (especially the latter) have been around for a while and everybody's familiar with them shouldn't take away from the fact that they're still great songs contributing to a strong album.

I also just realized that I haven't been listening to it with the three bonus tracks (Without You, Lolita, Lucky Ones) so I think I'll hit those up right now.

Just got the green light to write about this album for the university paper.

My editor will never take giving a shit for granted ever again.

Most of the review sites that I trust the most have been unimpressed with it to say the least, so I do not feel a rush to hear it, although I probably will at some point.
This is how I feel about the album as well. I'll probably give it a listen one of these days on spotify. I'm a huge fan of Video Games so it can't be that bad.

Well, it's better than I was expecting based on the reviews, but it's nothing earth-shattering. Not sorry I bought it.

Back
Top Bottom