Lady GaGa General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As in you hear a bit of the melody of LoveGame in it? Or that underneath the other music there's a little hidden bit of it?

I can wait another handful of days at this point; I won't bother downloading.

As in, I feel like that part where she does a short breakdown right before the chorus late in the song, she goes, "Don't think too much just...."

Also, "Man I Feel Like A Gaga" aka "You and I" is the worst thing I've ever heard in my life, and the most proof I've ever had in my life how obvious a role a producer can play on a track.

I'll have to listen for that - I haven't noticed it so far.

:lol: @ Man I Feel Like

I didn't care for You and I when I heard it in concert. Not looking forward to it on the album.

When Travis told me that the guy who produces Shania Twain's music was a producer on one of the tracks, I thought, "This should be interesting." I didn't expect it to be a carbon copy of every fast Shania song, but holllly shit.

Oh, I hadn't heard that.

Interesting. I guess.

It's funny - I swear I haven't paid much attention at all to the plans for the new album. I had no idea that Clarence Clemons was on it, either.

I think it's a decent-ish record. Certainly overlong, which becomes clear somewhere in the middle when every song sounds exactly the same with varying degrees of inanity in the lyric department to keep you from nodding off. However, her beats (which make up the backbone of a very 90s house-influenced record, complete with gospel-inspired vocal interjections and pianos) have improved dramatically from the Fruity Loops shit that people were praising when Poker Face came out. The synths buzz in all the right ways, the percussion is creative, and it doesn't stop throughout the album's 60 minutes.

Well, once in a while it does. The aforementioned Man! I Feel Like A Gaga (I'll take credit for that title) is a pitch-perfect Twain parody (written by her ex), complete with the pauses for spoken vocal hooks and rowdy guitars. It's dumb as a post, but I actually don't mind it, myself. If I didn't know who Twain was, I would like it a great deal. The stupid lyrics don't stop with that song though: most tracks on the album (not excluding Born This Way) are filled with really trite observations or cliches. Good God, Hair is just unbelievable. Did she take note of the criticisms from conservative PTA members who thought her music was shallow and wrote a handful of "love-yourself-and-no-matter-how-ugly-and-talentless-you-are-everyone-will-love-you" tracks? They're alright, except that Gaga's sincerity is undermined by the fact that every other song is about fucking or is a song about fucking with religious imagery thrown in for the sole purpose of pissing people off.

However, Gaga ain't a poet, and most of the tracks here are catchy as hell. It's a solid, coherent record, and the first two tracks get the album off to such a great start that the first third of the record radiates with a certain infectious thrill. Seriously, Marry The Night is one of her best songs yet. Don't miss that one.

IMO, the tracks here are anything but catchy. I was bored as anything most of the time (obviously, one listen, I'll give it another go at some other point). I felt like the drums/bass weren't mixed correctly at all, and I just couldn't get into it/get a groove going at all. It was a huge disappointment for me, and I'm really upset with her for making an hour long album without even three songs that I'm excited about.

But yes, "Marry the Night" is excellent, and I'm glad for this album for that song if nothing else.

And I'm still a big fan of "Born This Way", believe it or not.

Dang, if I'd known Starbucks was going to be selling it- the deluxe edition, no less - I would have waited to buy it with my discount instead of buying it on Amazon and paying for shipping. D'OH. I thought that promotion they had announced was some sort of digital thing only.

But yeah, I walked in to the store this morning and Dance In the Dark was playing. My barista was all "Happy Lady Gaga Day!"

Then I listened to Born This Way, Edge of Glory and Judas on repeat on the way to work. Ha. I'm excited to hear it. It'll be delivered to my desk sometime today.

It was a pretty damn solid episode, I thought. J Timby* always delivers on that show. I'm unapologetically a sucker for the Omeletteville sketches. I also dug both of LG's performances even though I still don't care for the title track. "Judas" was some hot shit though.

*Incidentally, that fucker needs to put out another album already.

The Liquorville thing was hilarious. I liked her in the song with JT and Samberg, but it wasn't as funny as I would have hoped.

Although she made a scarily good Chrissy Snow.

One of my coworkers just told me that Starbucks stores are having a Born This Way dance party from 3-5.

We are going to investigate, because if it's happening, we must be there. I don't know that they'll have one here in the office (alas), but there's a store a block away.

Lady Gaga is the new Bono - a total liar! The store down the street had no idea what we were talking about. :lol:

Although I totally like the idea of her telling people "go to Starbucks at 3 and start dancing," with Starbucks having no idea. Gaga flash mob!

The opening of the performance where she was just doing "The Edge of Glory" solo on the piano was easily the best part, for me. I kinda wish she had just kept going with that instead of jumping up into "Judas."

listened to it earlier. i didn't pay attention to song titles but it was a good album overall. though i'm not gonna lie, i loved...fashion of his love, i think that's the one. it was 80s-tastic.

I've listened to it twice, and I think overall it's good. I like enough of the songs to say "yes, I like this."

My favorite three are the first three singles. Still obsessed with Edge of Glory. I think my other favorites so far are Marry the Night, Americano, Bloody Mary, Fashion of His Love and Heavy Metal Lover. I even was pleasantly surprised by Sheisse (I don't know how to go that German symbol, so I'll just spell it the American way).

I need to look to see which are the bonus tracks. It does feel a little long, but I know it's got three extra tracks. I was 'meh' on a few songs, but the only ones I flat-out dislike so far (for now) are Black Jesus, Highway Unicorn and Electric Chapel.

You and I is weird. It was obviously a power ballad when she did it in concert, and was nice enough, if a bit bland. On the album it sounds like a bad country radio hit. Those stomp-claps in the verse, the totally country-sounding background vocals .... it's so weird.

OK, after a second listen, I can safely say that the bass on my stereo system sucks.

All of the complaints I had have been completely negated. This album is a hell of a lot of fun. Too long, I'll probably trim a few weaker songs out myself, and be done with it. Quite happy with what we've got here.

I like the very clear consensus of "huh, not bad!" that we have going here. The metacritic score for this album is also a 70, so that fits in nicely.

Ohhhh. I was seriously confused and thought you posted in the wrong thread. :lol:
:lol: i forgot to quote, i was about to leave when i posted it.

however, i want no part of whatever the code to turn her into a motorcycle is.

I like the very clear consensus of "huh, not bad!" that we have going here. The metacritic score for this album is also a 70, so that fits in nicely.
psh, i think it's better than not bad. no idea if this is blasphemy or not but i think it's better than the fame. there's a lot of filler on there i don't care for. the hits though are amazing. but there's not a song on born this way that i hear and go "eww i don't want to hear this again". not saying it's omgbestalbumever or anything, though.

i'm only on my third listen now so i don't know all my favourites, but i love judas, heavy metal lover, and fashion of his love. black jesus + amen fashion is good too.

i agree with cori on yoü (okay i feel really pretentious writing it that way) and i. if i hadn't known it was produced by the muttsters i would've figured it was at least inspired by him. it's part def leppard (not as in it's hard rock, just the boom boom part reminds me of pour some sugar on me or something) with a lot of shania twain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom