Lady GaGa General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really lacking that chorus that hits it out of the park.

The crunchy intro and clean build-up are great, but there is no pay off, either vocally or instrumentally.

It's like a weaker "Dance in the Dark", and that was a really decent B-Side. This single lacks the teeth. Hoping she hasn't lost that nasty streak in the vocals/lyrics/production that propelled her through her debut or The Fame Monster.

It's an eye-catching choice for a lead single, as it makes a statement lyrically, but I'm hoping the rest of the album is stronger.

Good beat, kinda channels Ray of Light era Madonna, but the song is too clunky and sickly sweet to work as a single. It doesn't merge a biting narrative with a dynamic chorus the way Bad Romance does, and it isn't as clever as Paparazzi. I don't mind it, but I can't imagine hearing it 30 times a day like I did every other Gaga song.

Meanwhile, she just showed up to the Grammys in an egg.

article-1356695-0D2C5133000005DC-789_634x512.jpg

Is she planning on "being born" from that egg? Acting out the lyrics to one's song is not always a wise move.

Oh, I like the new song even more than Bad Romance. I think it's amazing.

The more I hear the chorus, the more I like it. The chorus, anyway.

Sometimes I find her annoying, sometimes I find her amusing. The egg gets filed on the "amusing" side.

Meanwhile, she just showed up to the Grammys in an egg.

article-1356695-0D2C5133000005DC-789_634x512.jpg
Me, at 10:00 AM: "Oh, yeah, Lady GaGa's going to be at the Grammys, isn't she? I wonder how she's going to top the meat dress? There has to be an upper limit when it comes to how crazy her fashion can get."
Me, at 6:30 PM: "...Oh."

Is she planning on "being born" from that egg? Acting out the lyrics to one's song is not always a wise move.
With this in mind, I have now decided to believe that Bono got his back injury by rehearsing Boy Falls From The Sky.

I had to look that up, and then realized they're nesting dolls!

The world is in dire need of Lady Gaga nesting dolls, each with a different Gaga outfit. I would buy the hell out of that.

OK, the more I hear "Born This Way" the more I like it. Yes, it still sounds like Madonna's "Express Yourself" but it is catchy.

Someday I'll download it.

Warming up to 'Born this Way' a bit.

The beat is massive enough, but the song still can't escape that slightly cheesy feeling that makes me want to relegate it to 'empowerment' muzak at gay clubs and cancer fundraiser Spin-a-thons.

Did you guys know that Lady Gaga was born this way? And that she's on the right track, baby? And that she was born this way?

The end of this song is so lazy.

"Edgy" is such a nebulous term, though. What exactly do you mean by that?

One could argue that openly embracing the LGBT rights movement in the form of an extremely high-profile pop song is as "edgy" if not "edgier" than anything she's done. Especially with how fiercely divided our country is on so many things, including these sorts of social rights issues.

I don't know.

I like that it makes a statement. And it does so while also getting people to dance and getting that message stuck in people's heads via a catchy chorus. She knows she has a lot of power right now, and it's better that she's using that massive pop culture power for something positive rather than something negative.

Edgy? I don't know. The subject matter in the lyrics, in my view, is certainly edgier (or, at least, more thought and discussion provoking) than "RAH RAH AH AH AHHHH" or "p-p-p-poker face." But I'm guessing you were referring more to the tone of the music and not the lyric. My bad. I've had a few, and I'm going to go have some pancakes.

I don't think 'edgy' is the right word. Her previous hits (save for Let's Dance) have had a nasty streak barely below the surface, and it's what I like about her. She walks the line between many different influences and moods really well.

I love "Born This Way". It accomplishes exactly what she was trying to do with it, which was to make an anthem about acceptance and loving yourself. She wasn't trying to create another "Telephone" or "Bad Romance" or a song that does what many of her others, singles and non-singles do. This one wasn't about trying to a message about something deeper under the guise of something that appears more shallow, which is where her brilliance usually lies. BTW just lays everything out there without metaphor or subtle winks at something else. I can't wait for the new album. She gave a few more titles in an interview with Ryan Seacrest the other day. The next single is called "Judas". She also mentioned a song called "Government Hooker", one called "Marry the Night" and a song called "Hair" that she described as a club song with a Bruce Springsteen influence. Clarence from the E Street band plays saxophone on it. I am beyond excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom