Lady GaGa General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lady Gaga has a better technical voice than Madonna, but as much as I love her, she'll never be the artists Madonna is.
As long as she just can "unglue" other artists' formulas that had its aura 20 or 30 years ago, yes, I still believe she can be as relevant as Madonna is (or other artists she :heart: too much are). Until then, that is, until she can't take off those formulas ("Telephone" video just confirms it once again), I'm still not convinced.

i'm just not a huge madonna fan, so i can't understand all the madonna love. i'm not saying she's not inspired people or anything though, but even lady gaga has said she's been influenced more by queen and other rock bands. i just feel anyone these days who's blonde and has a sexier image gets lumped in as someone trying to be like madonna.

I'm not a Madonna expert, but I think she sort of revolutionized the pop music game and really pushed the boundaries of what a woman (or anyone) can do as a successful pop artist. The highly stylized image, the sexuality, the fashion, lyrical content, the music videos, etc.

I think if it weren't for Madonna the solo pop artist would just be a completely different thing than what we see it as now. The door might never have been opened for artists like that. And that's what my comment was about. I don't know, I might be wrong. Did she not open those doors? Was there a female pop act before Madonna that was pushing the limits of the genre and blending the whole image/sex/fashion/media thing (as well as making memorable tunes)?

Yeah, I definitely think GAF is onto something. I doubt Madonna's at the forefront of Gaga's influences, but Madge certainly opened a massive window for the female solo pop artist when she broke. That's just how it is, whether you like Madonna's music or not.

But that in turn doesn't necessarily relate one to the other. I'm not a massive Gaga fan, but I think we'll be hearing from her for a long time. And really, that's pretty exciting. We haven't had this kind of solo artist who is celebrated on such a massive scale in a time long enough for this to be a cool thing.

idk, I see Madonna as a singer/dancer and GaGa as more of a singer/performance artist. I plan on taking my nieces to a GaGa show in September. One thing I do know is that she is doing for them what Madonna did for me 25 years ago. GaGa may be a Lady but Madonna will always be the Queen!

Although I roll my eyes at the constant comparisons of GaGa to Madonna, you can't ignore that Madonna has been HUGELY influential on the pop scene, for women and in general.

I picked up the GaGa Q issue at my local newstand today. Glad they had it for sale and not do some prissy banning.

Lady Gaga has stated more than once that Madonna was an influence on her and that she has great respect for her. Here's just one example.
Lady GaGa Compares Herself to Madonna

I don't think she's trying to be Madonna, obviously, but to say some of her choices haven't been inspired or patterned in some way after Madonna's is not accurate, in my opinion. Madonna has admitted herself that she's not the greatest vocalist or whatnot, but she's written and performed some of the best pop music of the last quarter century. There were female rockers, female folk artists, female country singers, etc. that always had a message about something beyond cute love songs and who had control over their image and career, but that was truly lacking from the mainstream pop industry until Madonna came along. She broke the glass ceiling and pointed out the double standard between men and women in the pop industry. She wrote and sang about many deeper issues before it was popular, and she's one of the best live performers in history. There would be no Lady Gaga as we know her if it wasn't for Madonna because she's the one that made it possible for a woman to truly become an artist in pop music as opposed to a record company puppet. Sadly, there's still many women in pop music who are just that (i.e. Britney), but Gaga's not.

Ya I get the whole having to lip sync once in a while if you're dancing too. I know it takes a lot of energy to dance and have to sing at the same time, but she pretty much looks comatose in that video. I'm surprised the fans aren't outraged1!111 and demanding their money back. Or maybe it was that one song, I have no idea. Is that the show coolian went to?

I actually thought she fell asleep for a bit at the 1:54 mark. I hope she gets some rest and energizes herself before hitting Boston in July or I will be screaming for my money back.

I actually thought she fell asleep for a bit at the 1:54 mark. I hope she gets some rest and energizes herself before hitting Boston in July or I will be screaming for my money back.

she was already good by the next night. oh, and screaming for you money back? the fact that the struggled to get through the last song of the night barely rated a mention in the review of the show.

I'm not a Madonna expert, but I think she sort of revolutionized the pop music game and really pushed the boundaries of what a woman (or anyone) can do as a successful pop artist. The highly stylized image, the sexuality, the fashion, lyrical content, the music videos, etc.

I think if it weren't for Madonna the solo pop artist would just be a completely different thing than what we see it as now. The door might never have been opened for artists like that. And that's what my comment was about. I don't know, I might be wrong. Did she not open those doors? Was there a female pop act before Madonna that was pushing the limits of the genre and blending the whole image/sex/fashion/media thing (as well as making memorable tunes)?
Gender. Don't forget about the gender issue (and a few others), one of the reasons why Madonna is one of the most mentioned names in cultural studies of the past 25 years.

We have to understand that Madonna was born in a very specific zeitgeist. The prototype of the female pop singer that shaked social issues and structures and that manipulated the media... simply didn't exist. Madonna created that in the era of the explosion of the musicvideo, when the world's sexual revolution heat had got really cold after AIDS became a worldwide massive trouble (helping that "cold" air) an with the help of the conservative/right governments that ascended in most developped countries in the 1980's. With all this scenario, a few female artists tried the "hit or miss". Only Madonna did hit and lasted 'til our days... and the rest is history.

Due all this, nothing of that Lady Gaga is presenting is really new. Not even her overall message (which is counterproductive), nor the way she brings it. Nothing about her formula is innovative or groundbreaking. I still believe she can do it in the near future (really, I do... that's why I like her, even though I criticise her), but she really has to take off the power of her influences (and Madonna is just only one of these), if she really wants to stay relevant and not to be forgotten by the public and the media, specially because of the way she psychotically's wasting all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom