Lady GaGa General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, no, "what" she's doing isn't exactly new. But it wasn't new when Madonna, U2, Michael Jackson, Prince, etc. were doing it either. But like all of those artists the way in which she's creating her image, along with the way she uses her art to try to bring attention to things she feels are important, is original and new. That's what making her such a phenomenon. Every action she takes isn't something that's absolutely never been done before, but some are. And even if everyone doesn't realize what exactly she's trying to say about pop culture, celebrity, and fame they're still responding to it because it's coming from her as an artist, not a record company executive. Authenticity, even if it's dressed up in what appears to be the most shallow package, has been missing from the new generation of pop artists. The contradiction between her image and what she's actually trying to say as an artist are what make her so brilliant.
I get what sh'e doing, perfectly. I just don't get this overprotection over her non-originality in her work. Come on, don't compare her (and other acts) - as much as they may feel "fresh" for today's public - to The Beatles, MJ or Madonna or Elvis. It's not even cloe to comparison. She's not coming up with any new pattern/formula/paradigm - those you reffered did it.
I'm not gonna discuss anymore why although I agree she's "fresh" she's not original at all for me, but I won't get tired of claiming it and of saying that's she's not even comparable (yet... cause I believe she has a lot to prove/create, and I believe she'll get there) to those she/we compare her with.

I get what sh'e doing, perfectly. I just don't get this overprotection over her non-originality in her work. Come on, don't compare her (and other acts) - as much as they may feel "fresh" for today's public - to The Beatles, MJ or Madonna or Elvis. It's not even cloe to comparison. She's not coming up with any new pattern/formula/paradigm - those you reffered did it.
I'm not gonna discuss anymore why although I agree she's "fresh" she's not original at all for me, but I won't get tired of claiming it and of saying that's she's not even comparable (yet... cause I believe she has a lot to prove/create, and I believe she'll get there) to those she/we compare her with.

I agree with you in that sense. I don't know anyone who really knows anything about music that would say she's as great as The Beatles, MJ, Madonna, U2, Prince, etc. They're all legends as they deserve to be because they proved/continue to prove for some why they're the brilliant artists they are. I can only speak for myself, but she's the first pop artist (female, at least; I feel Justin Timberlake has rightfully taken the torch, so to speak, for creative, multi-talented male pop artists) of my generation to begin to buck the trends of the industry and create her own. She's obviously not the first to ever do that, but it's refreshing to see because it's been a long time since a pop artist has been able to do that on a massive level. On another note, as brilliant as I feels she's been and will continue to be in the future, I don't ever see her (or anyone else) ever achieving the level of success as any of the other artists we've mentioned. The music industry just isn't functioning that way as we all know. So, when I mentioned how she's changing the industry in many ways, I'm well aware it will never reach the level that older artists did.

1. What do you guys think of Speechless? I just listened to Der Fame Munster for the first time since I stole it borrowed it from the webs last year, and that track really stood out. The melody, the instrumentation, the production.

2. Telephone is pretty cool, but what the hell is Beyonce doing here? She doesn't do anything. Don't be so generous, Gaga. Keep all the songs for yourself.

3. I can't believe I like this crazy broad as much as I do considering what I thought of her when she first showed up on the scene.

2. Telephone is pretty cool, but what the hell is Beyonce doing here? She doesn't do anything. Don't be so generous, Gaga. Keep all the songs for yourself.

I haven't heard that one, but it might be a cousin of the Beyonc? number Videophone. That one features Lady Gaga, but I thought her contribution was quite minimal there.

Yeah, they did a little trade-off with those songs. Each has a small bit on the other's. The only difference? "Telephone" kicks "Video Phone"'s ass five ways from Sunday. :wink:

I'm not usually a big fan of ballads amongst my pop loves, but "Speechless" is good.

I love "Speechless". Beautiful lyrics and instrumentation. She's amazing. I liked "Telephone" and "Videophone". I'm not a huge Beyonce fan, but I like some of her singles.

I intend to see Gaga at Lolla. I'm way more excited about this prospect than you would think. Though I struggle listening to pop music on my own time, crowds can truly ignite it. There's something contagious about the enthusiasm of tens of thousands of people.

Well, she's not officially announced for Lolla yet. But, yeah, all signs point to her being there. I'd love to see that show as well, and probably will.

you would have to be quick about it, yes.
crying.gif

I just downloaded The Fame Monster deluxe. Wow, she's making me really like pop/dance music. Before I was shy about admitting it, but now I regularly play the local pop/dance radio station. I hope this doesn't mean I'm losing interest in rock music! :tsk:

I just downloaded The Fame Monster deluxe. Wow, she's making me really like pop/dance music. Before I was shy about admitting it, but now I regularly play the local pop/dance radio station. I hope this doesn't mean I'm losing interest in rock music! :tsk:

You won't. I've been in this transition for about 6 months and I'm probably indier than ever, somehow. It helps that 90% of popular albums released under the indie umbrella integrate pop/dance in some way these days.

But I am really getting bored with pop radio again. Every song is exactly the same: there's an intro where the guy/girl announces his/her name, the verse kicks in with a steady beat (the lead instrument being that loud, buzzing synth that's gotten a lot of work over the past year). Said beat gets added onto with pinging Atari synths as the song progresses, then the chorus is repeated numerous times before heading to a pointless bridge/faceless rap (occasionally both, in the case of prototype Just Dance) that never sticks. After what feels like an eternity, the chorus returns, and we all forget about what just transpired. Slate cleaned, the next track begins and we're greeted by another bland pop star we won't remember in 6 months, unless their song finds its way back into the 30-track Clear Channel-approved playlist for a victory lap.

In spite of all this, I did give our Big Dumb Pop station a go today and was punished with a Ke$ha track that's not Tik Tok. Fuck.

It's overexposed at this point but I still really, really like Tik Tok. It cracks me up.

Pedicure on our toes, toes!
Boys blowin up our phones, phones!

As much as I like good pop music, can't say "Tik Tok" really does anything for me. It all seems pretty by the numbers, like it was adhering to the well worn Top 40 template LM was talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom