Lady GaGa General Discussion - Page 51 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #751
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:20 PM
As in you hear a bit of the melody of LoveGame in it? Or that underneath the other music there's a little hidden bit of it?

I can wait another handful of days at this point; I won't bother downloading.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #752
Blue Crack Distributor

As in, I feel like that part where she does a short breakdown right before the chorus late in the song, she goes, "Don't think too much just...."

Also, "Man I Feel Like A Gaga" aka "You and I" is the worst thing I've ever heard in my life, and the most proof I've ever had in my life how obvious a role a producer can play on a track.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:08 PM   #753
Blue Crack Distributor

I'll have to listen for that - I haven't noticed it so far.

@ Man I Feel Like

I didn't care for You and I when I heard it in concert. Not looking forward to it on the album.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #754
Blue Crack Distributor

When Travis told me that the guy who produces Shania Twain's music was a producer on one of the tracks, I thought, "This should be interesting." I didn't expect it to be a carbon copy of every fast Shania song, but holllly shit.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:13 PM   #755
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh, I hadn't heard that.

Interesting. I guess.

It's funny - I swear I haven't paid much attention at all to the plans for the new album. I had no idea that Clarence Clemons was on it, either.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #756
The Male

I think it's a decent-ish record. Certainly overlong, which becomes clear somewhere in the middle when every song sounds exactly the same with varying degrees of inanity in the lyric department to keep you from nodding off. However, her beats (which make up the backbone of a very 90s house-influenced record, complete with gospel-inspired vocal interjections and pianos) have improved dramatically from the Fruity Loops shit that people were praising when Poker Face came out. The synths buzz in all the right ways, the percussion is creative, and it doesn't stop throughout the album's 60 minutes.

Well, once in a while it does. The aforementioned Man! I Feel Like A Gaga (I'll take credit for that title) is a pitch-perfect Twain parody (written by her ex), complete with the pauses for spoken vocal hooks and rowdy guitars. It's dumb as a post, but I actually don't mind it, myself. If I didn't know who Twain was, I would like it a great deal. The stupid lyrics don't stop with that song though: most tracks on the album (not excluding Born This Way) are filled with really trite observations or cliches. Good God, Hair is just unbelievable. Did she take note of the criticisms from conservative PTA members who thought her music was shallow and wrote a handful of "love-yourself-and-no-matter-how-ugly-and-talentless-you-are-everyone-will-love-you" tracks? They're alright, except that Gaga's sincerity is undermined by the fact that every other song is about fucking or is a song about fucking with religious imagery thrown in for the sole purpose of pissing people off.

However, Gaga ain't a poet, and most of the tracks here are catchy as hell. It's a solid, coherent record, and the first two tracks get the album off to such a great start that the first third of the record radiates with a certain infectious thrill. Seriously, Marry The Night is one of her best songs yet. Don't miss that one.

Now.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #757
Blue Crack Distributor

IMO, the tracks here are anything but catchy. I was bored as anything most of the time (obviously, one listen, I'll give it another go at some other point). I felt like the drums/bass weren't mixed correctly at all, and I just couldn't get into it/get a groove going at all. It was a huge disappointment for me, and I'm really upset with her for making an hour long album without even three songs that I'm excited about.

But yes, "Marry the Night" is excellent, and I'm glad for this album for that song if nothing else.

And I'm still a big fan of "Born This Way", believe it or not.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #758
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:20 AM
This album is only 99 cents today on Amazon MP3, for anyone who may be interested.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #759
Blue Crack Distributor

Dang, if I'd known Starbucks was going to be selling it- the deluxe edition, no less - I would have waited to buy it with my discount instead of buying it on Amazon and paying for shipping. D'OH. I thought that promotion they had announced was some sort of digital thing only.

But yeah, I walked in to the store this morning and Dance In the Dark was playing. My barista was all "Happy Lady Gaga Day!"

Then I listened to Born This Way, Edge of Glory and Judas on repeat on the way to work. Ha. I'm excited to hear it. It'll be delivered to my desk sometime today.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #760
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie
This album is only 99 cents today on Amazon MP3, for anyone who may be interested.
Hmm. I'll bite for that price.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #761
Blue Meth Addict

She was in a number of sketches on SNL last week, some were decent.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #762
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

It was a pretty damn solid episode, I thought. J Timby* always delivers on that show. I'm unapologetically a sucker for the Omeletteville sketches. I also dug both of LG's performances even though I still don't care for the title track. "Judas" was some hot shit though.

*Incidentally, that fucker needs to put out another album already.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #763
Blue Crack Distributor

The Liquorville thing was hilarious. I liked her in the song with JT and Samberg, but it wasn't as funny as I would have hoped.

Although she made a scarily good Chrissy Snow.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #764
Blue Crack Distributor

I don't even like this album that much, but can't say no to practically free.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #765
Blue Crack Distributor

One of my coworkers just told me that Starbucks stores are having a Born This Way dance party from 3-5.

We are going to investigate, because if it's happening, we must be there. I don't know that they'll have one here in the office (alas), but there's a store a block away.

Tags
lady gaga