Lady GaGa General Discussion - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #61
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:45 AM
I'm not saying lady gaga is original, i'm saying that her idea of fame and celebrity and the way she is going about it is everything zootv was about and that its really interesting to me.

as for siouxsiee... if I haven't heard of them, then they haven't made an impact on pop culture. I'm not saying she isn't potentially a smart, talented artist, but popularity dictates (generally) impact on pop culture.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:56 AM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_One1932 View Post
I'm not saying lady gaga is original, i'm saying that her idea of fame and celebrity and the way she is going about it is everything zootv was about and that its really interesting to me.

as for siouxsiee... if I haven't heard of them, then they haven't made an impact on pop culture. I'm not saying she isn't potentially a smart, talented artist, but popularity dictates (generally) impact on pop culture.
Ok, there are so many things wrong with this post, I just don't even know where to begin...

First, Lady Gaga is great, and I love what she's doing. But, as several others have said, she owes a lot more to Madonna than to Zoo TV.

And, really? Is that going to be how you assess other people's discourses about this topic? That if you haven't heard of someone, they automatically don't matter? Ridiculous. Siouxsie and the Banshees were a hugely influential band. The Times called them "one of the most audacious and uncompromising musical adventurers of the post-punk era." Siouxsie herself has been named as an inspiration to:

Massive Attack
LCD Soundsystem
Jeff Buckley
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Win Butler (of Arcade Fire)
Shirley Manson (of Garbage)
PJ Harvey
Robert Smith (of The Cure)

...and, the real kicker: U2.

So, clearly, Siouxsie and the Banshees were insanely influential, regardless of their popularity (though they had two albums debut in the top 10 in the UK) or whether or not you have heard of her/her band.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:41 AM   #63
The Male

Local Time: 10:45 AM
How about that Velvet Underground band, the one with the old lady as lead singer? Half of their debut's first year sales wound up under their own families' Christmas trees. What impact could they have possibly had on pop culture?

Now.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:13 AM   #64
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
How about that Velvet Underground band, the one with the old lady as lead singer? Half of their debut's first year sales wound up under their own families' Christmas trees. What impact could they have possibly had on pop culture?
Velvet Who?
Old 12-17-2009, 02:58 AM   #65
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_One1932 View Post
Ok, there are so many things wrong with this post, I just don't even know where to begin...

And, really? Is that going to be how you assess other people's discourses about this topic? That if you haven't heard of someone, they automatically don't matter?
I don't think there's much use arguing. He wasn't even born when Siouxsie first came on the scene and had her initial impact. So he doesn't know better and I guess Zoo TV was the first time he ever saw something like that.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:52 AM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
I don't think there's much use arguing. He wasn't even born when Siouxsie first came on the scene and had her initial impact. So he doesn't know better and I guess Zoo TV was the first time he ever saw something like that.
Neither was I. I also was 3 when Zoo TV was U2's tour, so I don't really think age is an excuse for ignorance. I mean, that's like saying since I wasn't born when the Beatles were around, I can't recognize their musical impact, which is sort of silly.

Regardless, like I said, I still think Gaga has more to owe to Madonna than to U2. Sure, Gaga takes what Madonna was doing and exaggerates it even more, and there are some similarities to what Gaga is doing and what Zoo TV was about, but she's still far more in debt to Madonna than U2.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
First, Lady Gaga is great, and I love what she's doing. But, as several others have said, she owes a lot more to Madonna than to Zoo TV.
Which is why I think TSP was right when she noted that this seems like one of those threads entered with the mindset that U2 did everything first and everyone's copying or inspired by them.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:45 PM
I just want to say that I do like Lady Gaga. It took me a while to say this because I was reluctant to admit I like pop/dance music. But she got me to admit it, so that must mean something.

As for her being an original, the only original about her are her outfits. That, or it's the first time in a long time someone in the mainstream is dressing as Lady Gaga does. Her music, on the other hand, is no different from the other pop/dance acts. And yes, I agree time will tell if she is a flash in the pan or something that is meaningful.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
I'm starting to enjoy her music and have enjoyed watching her performances on TV. I also like the whole avant-garde fashion element she brings to her performances too. From the runway to the stage.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 07:45 PM
When Lady Gaga first appeared, I thought Lets Dance was a good song, nothing big, major, wonderful...but when Pokerface was out and the video, I fuking thought 'wowee!' I love the heavy image at the beginning of the vid!

and so many say she is trying to be like Kylie, Madonna, Gwen Stefani, and many others...... she MAY have been inspired, but so what?

I say she is fabulous now, (yea took me to get over her Glastonbury no pants moment thou! LOL). who else, apart from Grace Jones who did, wears outfits like her nowadays? odd fashion statement? yes. gets attention? yes. and her songs have now been blowing people away. Loved her X-Factor and Royal Variety Performance with the odd set-up and style so ya know what? I think Im starting to fuking digg the Gaga Lady and now wish I had booked tickets as she is coming here next year......
Old 12-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #71
Refugee

Local Time: 06:45 PM
Her music is clearly nothing more than generic top 40 crap, but what's so unique about the way she dresses? People like Grace Jones, Madonna, Karen O, Siouxsie Sioux, etc. have been dressing like idiots for years now.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:45 PM
Until GaGa stars in a shitty James Bond movie she cannot be compared to Grace Jones.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #73
Blue Crack Distributor

well... i think the fact that somebody thinks that a current popstar is the realization of u2's zootv is rather unbelievable, in that somebody who's aware that zootv was u2 mocking celebrity and being a rockstar... and thus then, if one is mocking something, then it obviously existed prior to the mocking... yea, i don't really know... but it's just, yea.

all i've got is this...

YouTube - Eric Cartman feat Kenny & Kyle- Poker Face
Old 12-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #74
The Fly

I'm a fan of Lady Gaga. I dont think theres any correlation btween her & ZooTV tho. It'd be interesting to hear her opinion on U2 tho. I've been following her since she 1st came out & I dont remember hearing her mention them as an influence or anything. But I think she'll be around for a bit. She is one of those rare ones thats a great performer & can actually sing well live too.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #75
Blue Crack Supplier

i get the impression i should be happy i have no idea who this person is.

Quote:

seriously?

potential irony intended here, people.

Tags
lady gaga