Lady GaGa General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, i think adele is really fucking overrated. she's talented for sure, but come on. plus like zootomic said, the way she's being pushed down everyone's throats just makes me not even give her a chance. i could find her albums total perfection but i'll never know.

I can't really understand why 21 has sold so many copies. I like the album, but it's all off the power of ONE single. ONE. I think I've heard another song on the radio twice total and that's it.

I feel so hypocritical being upset by how many albums she's selling. It's good to see ANY album sell that many copies, I suppose, but...damn.

now i'm starting to hear another song of hers just as much as the first one. ugh. i'm with ashley, i'm glad anything's selling like this these days, but come on. i'm just glad to hear not everyone thinks she's the second coming.

Here in Belgium there two songs of her that got, and still get, overplayed: Rolling In The Deep and Set Fire To The Rain. I haven't listened to 21 and I normally don't listen to the radio but I've heard each of those two songs at least 20 times.

i've never heard the second one, but someone like you is what's getting overplayed here too. and i'm like you, i don't listen to the radio at all and still somehow hear her all the time. are any of her songs not about being burned in a relationship?

No idea as I've only heard two songs of hers.

The worst part about it all is that her songs are actually decent but I kinda hate them now.

i've never heard the second one, but someone like you is what's getting overplayed here too. and i'm like you, i don't listen to the radio at all and still somehow hear her all the time. are any of her songs not about being burned in a relationship?

Not really, because the thing's a loose concept album. I really do like it and think you should give the whole thing a shot.

Not to turn this into an Adele thread but I am happy seeing someone who seems to be genuinely talented actually having a hit single and selling loads of albums for once. Both her music and even her image do not fit with the standard cookie-cutter crap that tends to dominate popular music which I find refreshing...

I agree, and was going to say that. I'm happy there's someone with actual talent on top again. Just waaaay overexposed and her music ain't that good.

elevated_u2_fan said:
Not to turn this into an Adele thread but I am happy seeing someone who seems to be genuinely talented actually having a hit single and selling loads of albums for once. Both her music and even her image do not fit with the standard cookie-cutter crap that tends to dominate popular music which I find refreshing...

Yeah, when Teenage Dream, the epitome of label-approved, airbrushed cookie-cutter pop bullshit is one of the only other million-sellers out there, I can appreciate Adele a bit more. Take the best moments of every Katy Perry song to date (the MUSIC, not their videos :wink: ) and string them together for four minutes and the result wouldn't come close to Rolling In The Deep. Awesome song, one of the best #1 singles in ages.

The album is really samey and average though.

I don't have much to say in analysis of it, but I'd like to bring up my observations about Gaga's new video for "You and I."

This is one of her simplest singles to date...a piano based love song, the music is not going to turn any heads, it's not aggressive. It's actually very formulaic. And cheesy. (Not saying these are bad things, necessarily, btw.)

BUT...even for this simple-ass song, she decides she has to have a fucking really long and pretentious intro to the video with risque and "artsy" images. This video does not match the song whatsoever. For this cheesy pop love song, this would have been a good time to make a quick, maybe funny, maybe modest music video.

I don't know. It's like the whole "I need to make a big artsy statement!" thing is growing tiresome.

I still like her, though. Just sort of tossing this out there.

I agree. I liked that the video for Edge of Glory was so basic. it was refreshing.

I didn't even realize there was a video for You and I. I'm still not a fan of the song.

Yeah, the Edge of Glory video is basically what I was suggesting. I liked that one, too. So, she probably knows what she's doing.

I just didn't like the video for You and I. Didn't think it worked well alongside the tune.

And here I am talking shit about her choices, yet I'll still be watching on Sunday to see what weird shit she wears on the VMAs.

THE GODDAMN GAGA WINS AGAIN!

Oh, is that this weekend? I want to see the Britney tribute.

But damn, why waste time watching? I'll catch it on YouTube later.

It is this Sunday, indeed.

I can't help it, I'm way too fond of observing 21st century mainstream pop culture, so I will be there and watch every second of that shit live. It's my cross to bear.

I'm with you for some of the big award shows, but I've finally reached the point where the MTV ones are just too annoying.

I think this means I'm officially old. :)

I'm with you for some of the big award shows, but I've finally reached the point where the MTV ones are just too annoying.

I think this means I'm officially old. :)

I haven't watched the MTV video awards since 1992 when U2 appeared live via satellite from a Zoo TV show only to have the little twerp Dana Carvey playing along with them on the MTV stage in his Garth character. I had not seen a Zoo TV show yet at that time and so I really wanted to see U2 perform. I did not want to see frickin' Dana Carvey mugging and pretending to play drums with them. Gawd I was annoyed. And, yes, I am still bitter about it!

If I hear of a performance from Sunday's show that I want to watch I'll just watch it online afterwards. I love the internet.

I don't have much to say in analysis of it, but I'd like to bring up my observations about Gaga's new video for "You and I."

This is one of her simplest singles to date...a piano based love song, the music is not going to turn any heads, it's not aggressive. It's actually very formulaic. And cheesy. (Not saying these are bad things, necessarily, btw.)

BUT...even for this simple-ass song, she decides she has to have a fucking really long and pretentious intro to the video with risque and "artsy" images. This video does not match the song whatsoever. For this cheesy pop love song, this would have been a good time to make a quick, maybe funny, maybe modest music video.

I don't know. It's like the whole "I need to make a big artsy statement!" thing is growing tiresome.

I still like her, though. Just sort of tossing this out there.

I liked the 'Edge of Glory' video for its simplicity but I didn't expect her to do the same thing for her next video. But, still, my reaction after watching 'You and I' for the first time was "What did I just watch"?? Now that I've watched it a few more times I like it and I think it does have a connection to the song, albeit not a direct one.

Here's how I think the video connects to the song: "You and I" is about Gaga going back to her old boyfriend. This is the same ex-boyfriend about whom she wrote all her dark relationship songs such as 'Bad Romance' and 'Monster'. In 'You and I' she's downright gushy about how happy she is to be back with him but there's still a little bit of a darkness in it with the line "I'd rather die without you and I". But in the video I think she's really delving into the dark side of the previous relationship. My interpretation is that the guy isn't happy with her as she is and, really, neither is she. He's doing various things to try and change her but she just keeps becoming freakier and it nearly kills her. She finally leaves him and learns to love herself (literally making out with herself) and then returns to him because he apparently now accepts her as she is. They then get married and live happily ever after.

It's possible I've been thinking too much about this.

i don't love the edge of glory video. though i did like that she made a simple video. i just didn't think it was a good simple video, especially since that was the epic song off the album, so i thought it kinda needed an epic video. but to have a straightforward video from her was very refreshing.

but you and i is one that i thought did need a simpler video. as much as i like almost all of her videos, i hate the ridiculously over-the-topness (it's a word!) of some of her videos, where a four minute song is stretched to eight minutes with intros, outros, and the song stopping and starting randomly.

Rumor has it that Gaga will perform 'You and I' at the VMAs tonight as her male alter-ego who appeared in the video. So, if this is true (I hope it isn't), how long will it take for someone to accuse her of ripping off Annie Lennox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom