Lady GaGa General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that seacrest interview on the radio, but I didn't hear her mention Clarence. Where'd you hear that?

I wasn't blown away by this track at first, but it's quickly grown on me and I quite like it, unoriginal though it may be.

What's up with all the "just be yourself" songs lately? "We Are Who We Are", "Firework" and now this?

I heard that seacrest interview on the radio, but I didn't hear her mention Clarence. Where'd you hear that?

I wasn't blown away by this track at first, but it's quickly grown on me and I quite like it, unoriginal though it may be.

What's up with all the "just be yourself" songs lately? "We Are Who We Are", "Firework" and now this?

Sorry, the Clarence part came from an article I read on rollingstone.com.

And can I just say that this performance still blows me away a year later? Anyone who says Gaga is just flash and is just another pop star is a fool. If she isn't someone's cup of tea, that's fine, but to say she's not a genuinely talented artist and musician is crazy. Also, I should start an Elton appreciation thread. I've been on an even bigger Elton kick than usual lately.

YouTube - lady gaga elton john speechless / your song

"Edgy" is such a nebulous term, though. What exactly do you mean by that?

One could argue that openly embracing the LGBT rights movement in the form of an extremely high-profile pop song is as "edgy" if not "edgier" than anything she's done. Especially with how fiercely divided our country is on so many things, including these sorts of social rights issues.

I don't know.

I like that it makes a statement. And it does so while also getting people to dance and getting that message stuck in people's heads via a catchy chorus. She knows she has a lot of power right now, and it's better that she's using that massive pop culture power for something positive rather than something negative.

Edgy? I don't know. The subject matter in the lyrics, in my view, is certainly edgier (or, at least, more thought and discussion provoking) than "RAH RAH AH AH AHHHH" or "p-p-p-poker face." But I'm guessing you were referring more to the tone of the music and not the lyric. My bad. I've had a few, and I'm going to go have some pancakes.

Yeah I was referring to the tone of the music, I had no idea what the song was about. I've never been (and never will be) a big straight-up pop music fan, so for me the music's gotta be doing something different. Props for the lyrics though, and you're right, they're much edgier than "da do do da just dance".

There's been discussion/cringing at her use of "orient" and "chola" in the lyrics. Interesting discussions to be found among the LOLRACIST comments. ("orient" seems to be more of a target of the comments than "chola," but I've only really been browsing on a few sites)

Is she trying to say they should be "reclaimed"? Or is it possible she's not aware that many people take offense at the use of "orient"? Because she includes it in the line "your Lebanese / your orient," and that makes it sound like "orient" is a nationality like "Lebanese," to which one can only say gurrrrrrrrrrrrrl, no.

I looked up at one of the TVs at the gym this morning, and momentarily thought that a morning talk show was showing a wax figure of Lady Gaga, as it was all shiny and covered in ludicrous amounts of fake looking makeup. When the wax figure started moving and talking, I nearly fell off the elliptical machine.

I read a blurb that she showed up in some sort of latex getup on whatever show it was. Safe sex and all that.

Sounds like that was the horror you witnessed.

The Express Yourself drama unfolds: Gaga said on Leno that "Madonna's people" had sent her an email saying they loved the song or whatever, but the other day "Madonna's people" apparently said that there was no email sent.

Dun-dun-duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.

A pop song sounds like another pop song. Alert the national guard. :yawn: I hear the similarities, but I honestly don't think they're THAT similar, at least not enough to deserve such a pop music uproar.

I read a blurb that she showed up in some sort of latex getup on whatever show it was. Safe sex and all that.

The Express Yourself drama unfolds: Gaga said on Leno that "Madonna's people" had sent her an email saying they loved the song or whatever, but the other day "Madonna's people" apparently said that there was no email sent.

A pop song sounds like another pop song. Alert the national guard. :yawn: I hear the similarities, but I honestly don't think they're THAT similar, at least not enough to deserve such a pop music uproar.
Don't you? The melodies and chord progressions are exactly the same, both for the instrumental and most of the vocal melody.

Plus, both are clearly about the empowering a social group. The original ("Express Yourself") is a song of empowering women, the copy-paste ("Born This Way") is empowering-LGBT community (read it as "the-same-old-gay-audience-pleasing-formula-this-time-in-your-face"). Adding to this, although the structure is not the same, the tone and vocative of the lyrics is pretty much the same.

Want more "originality" than this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUDSX9vyG20

This mash up (easy to make, because the songs are the perfect match, starting on the melody) is the material proof.

Oh my God, I DO know "Express Yourself". That WAS the song it was reminding of. I feel kind of stupid now.

Sorry, the Clarence part came from an article I read on rollingstone.com.

Oh ok, that's awesome then :hyper:.

So has it been pretty much Gaga straight up saying that the song is about the LGBT community? It always bugs me when an artist is adamant about what their music is about, because it makes it harder to make a song your own. What if you're an over-weight 13 year old kid who gets picked on and Lady Gaga is your hero? Are you allowed to take comfort in "Born This Way"?

I had no idea it was that blatant. I hope Madonna sues the pants off of her.

Because that would be vaguely hot-ish. Not that she wears pants.

Yes, of course I hear the similarities (and now that you point more of them out, I would agree that they're a lot more similar than I had first considered), but when I listened to it the first few times, I didn't immediately think of Express Yourself. Had it not been pointed out 18,036,363 online this past week, I don't know that I'd ever notice it, because I'm not looking for it, and honestly, I usually don't care that much if a pop or rock sounds like another.

I understand the criticism of Gaga's lack of originality, or those who find her intriguing but don't think her songs match up to her "performance art." I do, I get it.

I just don't care that much. I don't necessarily want originality in the pop music I love. If it's there on top of great beats, fun songs and stuff I can sing along to, then great. If not, I just want to love the songs.

I love Madonna, I love Gaga. I don't care that Gaga rehashes previous artists. If I didn't love her songs so much, I'd probably be more butthurt about it. And hey - someone has to be Madonna these days. Madonna's too busy doing yoga or something. :wink:

And I realize I misspoke earlier about the "orient" thing - I was quoting the wrong line. I meant to reference the line that says something like "orient-made." I think the line I mentioned is clearly "orient" as in "orientation."

Anyway.

I ordinarily wouldn't give a shit about what pop star is ripping off another, as it all tends to blend together anyway, but it's a damn shame that the Madonna comparisons were proven right so directly. Her little monsters like to pretend that Gaga is a novel concept (she isn't) and that her music is innovative (never has been). I wish they were right. I enjoy her beats and (occasionally) her lyrics, but she has raised her own stakes to the degree that she can longer be judged by the same standards as other pop stars.

Another issue for me is the image, which is beginning to grate. I like to think that most people saw through the calculated dadaisms from day 1 (or 90, since the label pushed her as a nondescript synth pop ho for the first three months or so), but the act didn't wear well when she wasn't releasing new music (just scan this thread), and if this new album isn't the classic she's supposedly capable of, I sense a backlash. Michael Jackson was always insane, but nobody gave a shit until the hits dried up.

Here's hoping the new album is terrific, just so Katy Perry doesn't wind up the biggest pop star in America by default. She aims low and has nowhere to fall.

Agreed about her uberfans. I often find Gaga herself to be obnoxious, although I really enjoyed her 60 Minutes interview; she came across as very sincere, and I bought what she was selling.

But then she says something in an interview and I either forget to remember that she's just being her performance arty self .... or maybe she's believing her own hype. Who can tell?

And agreed about Katy Perry. Come on, Gaga! Don't let this be the highlight of the album!

I enjoy Gaga most when she lets herself shine through the act. Like when she wins awards and she cries, I really do buy those tears, and it makes me remember that I am a fan of hers underneath it all.

Also, I just played "Born this Way" for my mom (a mega-Madonna fan from back in the day), about 30 seconds in she's like, "I know this song...It's Madonna....somethingggggg." I had to play her the two songs looped over, but as soon as she heard the intro notes to "Express Yourself", she was like, "That's the one!" :lol:

:applaud:

Yeah, that pretty much sucked. At least her body looked rockin'. Super rockin'.

Wow, two of my favorite contemporary arists just released videos that suck.
Even though this is still awesome near Kanye's All of the Lights Enter the Void's rip off.

Once was enough. I won't watch it again - I only saw Alejandro once, too.

I haaaaaaaaaaaaate the "really short bangs" look. Hate it.

See... I really enjoy the music of Lady GaGa (though I'm not really impressed by "Born This Way" all that much), but is anyone else getting sick of the Lady GaGa fans who think that every single thing she does is the most original, inspiring, and greatest piece of art ever. Granted this happens with every artist, but Lady GaGa fans are getting quite brutal. So many of them can't even admit that "Born This Way" sounds even a little bit like "Express Yourself."

They'll look at a music video like "Born This Way" and automatically deem it the best music video ever (or at least since "Alejandro") just because Lady GaGa made it. Because remember --- "strange" + "out there" + "ambiguous" = SOOOOO Good!

I mean, was anyone truly entertained by the first three minutes of her talking? That's beyond pretentious...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom