Lady GaGa General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally see where she got GaGa from! :up:

_40998846_mercury1_bodypa.jpg

I keep mentioning the ZooTV aesthetic, no the fly in particular. my point is that a female pop star is succeeding by embracing everything that ZooTV stood for (which was mockery, essentially), embracing it, and succeeding wildly with it. i don't think that could've happened on this before.

someone mentioned siouxsiee or something... never heard of them/him/her ... which means they can't have been that big or important. Lady Gaga is a worldwide hit at the moment.

Again, the main point of my thread is that U2 were wildly ahead of their time.

Also wonder if its just me or does anyone think she sounds like Gwen Stefani when she sings Paparazzi? Specifically the part at 2:39/2:40

YouTube - Lady GaGa - Paparazzi [Official Music Video]

:ripoff:

I think the whole reason I don't like Paparazzi is because it sounds so much like a Gwen Stefani song to me.

someone mentioned siouxsiee or something... never heard of them/him/her ... which means they can't have been that big or important. Lady Gaga is a worldwide hit at the moment.

Gah, I love the argument that if "I haven't heard of them they must not be important"

I love Lady Gaga, and I do see her as a very different type of artist. Not many pop starlets write their own music or got their big break by doing so. Lady Gaga even has her own fashion brainchild, Haus of Gaga, with whom she designs her videos and outfits. I read recently that she often envisions what she'll be wearing during a song as she's writing it.

I think she's really, really talented, and I see a lot of value in writing fantastic pop songs, even though many people think of pop music as a throwaway genre.

I think the whole reason I don't like Paparazzi is because it sounds so much like a Gwen Stefani song to me.

Gah, I love the argument that if "I haven't heard of them they must not be important"

it shows that they never reached complete pop culture relevance, something lady gaga has at the moment. If they aren't everywhere, they aren't immensely impacting pop culture.

And i'm not relating everything to U2, it just strikes me as interesting that a pop starlett is succeeding by doing everything that the ZooTV tour stood for. Ironic has become Iconic.

The title is a great example of a U2 fan thinking that everything has to relate to U2 somehow.

Definitely. Really can't stand that about this place.

I'm in the GaGa lovers boat, too. She's a breath of fresh air in pop music right now. Sorely needed. And she's certainly playing against type. There's no doubt that there is an obvious sexual slant to plenty of her stuff, but I rarely (if ever) feel like she's using sex as a means to sell her product.

i appreciate good pop.

i'm not in any way big fans of kylie, madonna or gaga.

but blind, deaf, dumb, mute freddy could tell you that kylie and madonna have cred.

Kylie and Madge are in a whole different playing field.

I think Lady GaGa seems to be more like a mainstream Grace Jones.
At first she was really out there for shock value, but with The Fame Monster being released she seems to have toned in down a little.

But as mentioned before it is refreshing to see pop music actually written by the person who is singing it. :up:

I just hope Lady Gaga knows when the shock value does run out of steam and learn not to go over the top.

:lol: Scott is a bit of a tool...actually the whole cast of neighbours are idiots. Home and Away is far more superior.

I keep mentioning the ZooTV aesthetic, no the fly in particular. my point is that a female pop star is succeeding by embracing everything that ZooTV stood for (which was mockery, essentially), embracing it, and succeeding wildly with it. i don't think that could've happened on this before.

Because no one mocked anything before U2!

Honestly pal, you need to broaden your horizons. I'm not kidding. I actually can't believe what I'm reading. I threw up a little bit.

Gaga is the realization of everything to do with self-promotion, everything she does is designed to get people talking about her, from the way she dresses to her videos to every interview she does. I mean do people honestly believe she thinks fame has ruined her life? Everything just seems like such an act with her, will she change her style? Yeah of course she will she'll change it to whatever sells. To me all Gaga is is someone who wants to make money and be as famous as possible, she'll do whatever it takes to make that happen, will it result in good music (in my opinion, hell no), will it result in her making a lot of money, yes; will she be around for years, probably.

In terms of the Madonna debate from earlier on; it's no secret around these parts that I'm a huge fan. In fact, she's the one who made it possible for Lady Gaga to do what she's now doing. Madonna was the first female pop singer to truly be an artist. She's always been in complete control of her image, she's written the grand majority of her songs, touched on many social/political issues, and was always in control of the concepts of everything from her style, to her music videos, to her tours, choreography etc. She broke down the double standard of what woman could be, do, write, and sing about in the pop music business. She's a genius. As for Lady Gaga, I love her. I think she's written some damn good pop songs, but let's remember she's technically still on her first album. Some of the songs on The Fame Monster are left-overs she wrote for The Fame that didn't make the cut and others she's written on tour over the past year or so. If you look at pop artists who have later garned critical success (such as Madonna, for example), their first album often times wasn't much more than good, solid pop music. As Cori said earlier, give Lady Gaga a few more albums worth to see what she can really do. The song "Paparazzi" is what first made me take notice of what I think she can be capable. The concept of the song and the video really made me realize what I think she's about, and I suppose you can relate it to ZOO TV, but maybe in a different way. I think Lady Gaga is sort of a real-life female McPhisto. I think much of her image, her songs, etc. are really satirizing celebrity culture in general, attempting to show how over-the-top it can be. I don't think she wants people to take everything she wears, says or does at face value, and that's where I think her artistry really lies. I look forward to seeing what she does in the future.

To me all Gaga is is someone who wants to make money and be as famous as possible, she'll do whatever it takes to make that happen, will it result in good music (in my opinion, hell no), will it result in her making a lot of money, yes; will she be around for years, probably.

I think she's much more about fame than money, but I'm sure the money isn't bad. But she's bankrupted herself a couple times now by sinking everything she made back into her show and persona.

Really? Every example is going to brushed aside without consideration?

Clearly you didn't pay much attention to my post when you can't tell the gender or whether Siouxsie is one person, you know with the pronouns of she and her in the post. The third video of that post actually describes her on stage as watching a "Warhol-ian image." Sound familiar at all? :wink:

Don't get me started on the whole 'they must not have been big or important if I haven't heard of them' thing. Calling LadyGaga an original isn't accurate and writing off those that came before won't change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom