Lady GaGa General Discussion - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
This might get moved to the general music section.

But thank you for starting a Lady Gaga thread. I kept meaning to do it!

I like that she appears to be in control. She's weird and I love it. Is her music as "arty" as the performance she puts out there? Nah, it's pretty standard dance pop stuff. But I love it anyway. Although I will say that The Fame Monster overall has better songs than The Fame, which had a lot of filler. Hopefully she'll keep evolving her music and it'll be a little more out there.

I also love that she can actually, you know, sing and play piano. Check out her solo piano versions of her songs on YouTube, it's great.

If she ever runs headlon into a full-on public breakdown, I'm going to assume it's all part of her performance until she says otherwise.

GA GA OOH LA LA!
Yeah, count me in with the Gaga lovers. I listened to that album on a long flight recently and it stacked up pretty good. Most of the tracks were pretty decent. In fact there wasn't much filler - it is a proper album. Granted, a concept album about nightclubs and paparazzi is always going to be a bit limited in lyrical originality.

Also she said something in an interview about taking your fear into a room and shooing it in the face. I have adopted that as a kind of mantra.
__________________

__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_One1932 View Post
Now, I'm not exactly enamored with Lady Gaga's music (i don't hate it, but i don't want to listen to it), but the more I see her as a celebrity, the more I get the feeling that she is the first post modern, purely pop star. She embraces spectable for the sake of spectacle, will wear just about anything, embraces sexual abiguity, and relies on a sound that is not anchored to anything other than the celebration of art for the sake of art.
I don't think she's the first anything. Let's run through this:

Spectable for the sake of spectacle: Madonna (in the "pop" genre) has been doing this for decades. Beyond the "pop" genre people have being doing this even longer.
Will wear just about anything: You can find examples of this by singers across almost every genre.
Sexual ambiguity: Annie Lennox, anyone?
Doing things for the sake of art: Lady Gaga is by no means the first to do this, nor will she be the last.
__________________

__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 12-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #18
Acrobat
 
The_One1932's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 304
Local Time: 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I don't think she's the first anything. Let's run through this:

Spectable for the sake of spectacle: Madonna (in the "pop" genre) has been doing this for decades. Beyond the "pop" genre people have being doing this even longer.
Will wear just about anything: You can find examples of this by singers across almost every genre.
Sexual ambiguity: Annie Lennox, anyone?
Doing things for the sake of art: Lady Gaga is by no means the first to do this, nor will she be the last.

some of you seem to be missing the weirdly, almost warhol-ian nature of everything she is doing. I'm not comparing her to madonna (who never really appealed to me musically... not that gaga does), but if you look at everything gaga is doing, its extremely post modern, and to me, looks like a female pop star born from the aesthetic of ZooTV. If mr macphisto had baby, it'd be lady gaga. Watch the
Bad Romance video, there's even a scene straight outta macphistos routine w/the mirror.

Annie lenox... different type of sexual ambiguity.

I just get this interesting vibe from Lady Gaga. I mean, she even uses her name as chant lyric! How much more ZooTV can you get.

Regardless of whether or not she is the next madonna (again, stupid comparison for numerous reasons), it shows how ahead of their time U2 were, and still are, considering how many people don't get it still (the whole zoo tv thing)... and thats why I had this in the U2 area.

and again, you're somewhat right, people have been doing this stuff for ages, but not a purely pop star like lady gaga. its an interesting aesthetic to be catching on in the mainstream like this. I really don't think madonna can be compared here, because, well... she was all about sex and not much else. She's a cliche now.
__________________
The_One1932 is offline  
Old 12-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_One1932 View Post
some of you seem to be missing the weirdly, almost warhol-ian nature of everything she is doing. I'm not comparing her to madonna (who never really appealed to me musically... not that gaga does), but if you look at everything gaga is doing, its extremely post modern, and to me, looks like a female pop star born from the aesthetic of ZooTV. If mr macphisto had baby, it'd be lady gaga. Watch the
Bad Romance video, there's even a scene straight outta macphistos routine w/the mirror.
Everyone is a racist missing this except you!
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 12-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #20
Acrobat
 
The_One1932's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 304
Local Time: 11:49 PM
well, there are a few people who have agreed with me so far, so that kinda kills your point. and why the racist comment?
__________________
The_One1932 is offline  
Old 12-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_One1932 View Post
well, there are a few people who have agreed with me so far, so that kinda kills your point. and why the racist comment?
My point is that it's not exactly a great tactic to dismiss people who disagree with you as "not getting it."

And the racist thing is a reference to ZooTV. "Everyone is a racist except you." It's one of the messages from The Fly.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 12-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Bono's shades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The back of beyond
Posts: 5,038
Local Time: 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_One1932 View Post
the more I see her as a celebrity, the more I get the feeling that she is the first post modern, purely pop star. She embraces spectable for the sake of spectacle, will wear just about anything, embraces sexual abiguity, and relies on a sound that is not anchored to anything other than the celebration of art for the sake of art.

...or, I could be crazy.

thoughts?
David Bowie did all that eons ago.
__________________
Bono's shades is offline  
Old 12-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Saracene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia, some time after tea
Posts: 6,325
Local Time: 06:49 AM
Well I liked The Fame a lot. But I think only time will tell if Lady Gaga is a star or just a meteor. That she's already rehashing her songs with Bad Romance is not an encouraging sign IMO.
__________________
Saracene is offline  
Old 12-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_One1932 View Post
and again, you're somewhat right, people have been doing this stuff for ages, but not a purely pop star like lady gaga. its an interesting aesthetic to be catching on in the mainstream like this. I really don't think madonna can be compared here, because, well... she was all about sex and not much else. She's a cliche now.
I'm not sure what you mean exactly. If the vibe you are getting is one of spectacle and transformation for the sake of art then I have to disagree again. A pop star is such a tricky thing to define. I've heard the pop star tag thrown around to artists that wouldn't conform to pop music. One artist that meets the spectacle and transformation criteria and was covered on a program called Queens of British Pop is Siouxsie Sioux.

Siouxsie Sioux was a chameleon who would adapt to the material whether it be gothic and sinister or classical and melancholy. Between her heavy eyeliner or fetish clothing in the early years of the Banshees, she was creating a spectacle. You keep metioning Lady GaGa's similarity to ZooTV but no pop star has come as close to The Fly in mind as Siouxsie's persona did at times. Like The Fly, with Siouxsie, the audience was always seeing something artificial.

YouTube - Siouxsie And The Banshees/Robert Smith- Play At Home (HQ Video) 6/7

YouTube - Siouxsie And The Banshees - Face To Face - HD - Official Video

YouTube - Queens of Pop: Siouxsie Sioux
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 12-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracene View Post
That she's already rehashing her songs with Bad Romance is not an encouraging sign IMO.
Heh. I think The Fame Monster is a step forward for her, compared to the first record. There seems to be a little more depth (and no, please don't ask me to define "depth").

Perspectives .... they're all different and junk!
__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 12-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,287
Local Time: 12:49 AM
Does anyone else think she sounds like Cher at times?
__________________
GirlsAloudFan is online now  
Old 12-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Does anyone else think she sounds like Cher sometimes?
i'd rather see gaga straddling a cannon than cher, that's for certs.
__________________
coolian2 is offline  
Old 12-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #28
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator
 
Sicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 69,297
Local Time: 10:49 PM
rah rah blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Does anyone else think she sounds like Cher at times?
Also wonder if its just me or does anyone think she sounds like Gwen Stefani when she sings Paparazzi? Specifically the part at 2:39/2:40


YouTube - Lady GaGa - Paparazzi [Official Music Video]

:ripoff:
__________________
Sicy is offline  
Old 12-15-2009, 11:19 PM   #29
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicy View Post
Also wonder if its just me or does anyone think she sounds like Gwen Stefani when she sings Paparazzi? Specifically the part at 2:39/2:40
her real first name is stefani


i think she sounds like her there too
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 12-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,287
Local Time: 12:49 AM
Holy shit! Is that Vampire Eric from True Blood in the Paparazzi video? And she kills him. Awesome.
__________________

__________________
GirlsAloudFan is online now  
Closed Thread

Tags
lady gaga

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gaga, Pakistan Superthread The Sad Punk Lemonade Stand Archive 1001 01-31-2010 10:09 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com