Lady GaGa General Discussion - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #181
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
Well, no, "what" she's doing isn't exactly new. But it wasn't new when Madonna, U2, Michael Jackson, Prince, etc. were doing it either. But like all of those artists the way in which she's creating her image, along with the way she uses her art to try to bring attention to things she feels are important, is original and new. That's what making her such a phenomenon. Every action she takes isn't something that's absolutely never been done before, but some are. And even if everyone doesn't realize what exactly she's trying to say about pop culture, celebrity, and fame they're still responding to it because it's coming from her as an artist, not a record company executive. Authenticity, even if it's dressed up in what appears to be the most shallow package, has been missing from the new generation of pop artists. The contradiction between her image and what she's actually trying to say as an artist are what make her so brilliant.
I get what sh'e doing, perfectly. I just don't get this overprotection over her non-originality in her work. Come on, don't compare her (and other acts) - as much as they may feel "fresh" for today's public - to The Beatles, MJ or Madonna or Elvis. It's not even cloe to comparison. She's not coming up with any new pattern/formula/paradigm - those you reffered did it.
I'm not gonna discuss anymore why although I agree she's "fresh" she's not original at all for me, but I won't get tired of claiming it and of saying that's she's not even comparable (yet... cause I believe she has a lot to prove/create, and I believe she'll get there) to those she/we compare her with.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #182
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:23 AM
Haven't we already had this argument earlier in the thread?

Old 02-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #183
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aygo View Post
I get what sh'e doing, perfectly. I just don't get this overprotection over her non-originality in her work. Come on, don't compare her (and other acts) - as much as they may feel "fresh" for today's public - to The Beatles, MJ or Madonna or Elvis. It's not even cloe to comparison. She's not coming up with any new pattern/formula/paradigm - those you reffered did it.
I'm not gonna discuss anymore why although I agree she's "fresh" she's not original at all for me, but I won't get tired of claiming it and of saying that's she's not even comparable (yet... cause I believe she has a lot to prove/create, and I believe she'll get there) to those she/we compare her with.
I agree with you in that sense. I don't know anyone who really knows anything about music that would say she's as great as The Beatles, MJ, Madonna, U2, Prince, etc. They're all legends as they deserve to be because they proved/continue to prove for some why they're the brilliant artists they are. I can only speak for myself, but she's the first pop artist (female, at least; I feel Justin Timberlake has rightfully taken the torch, so to speak, for creative, multi-talented male pop artists) of my generation to begin to buck the trends of the industry and create her own. She's obviously not the first to ever do that, but it's refreshing to see because it's been a long time since a pop artist has been able to do that on a massive level. On another note, as brilliant as I feels she's been and will continue to be in the future, I don't ever see her (or anyone else) ever achieving the level of success as any of the other artists we've mentioned. The music industry just isn't functioning that way as we all know. So, when I mentioned how she's changing the industry in many ways, I'm well aware it will never reach the level that older artists did.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #184
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Haven't we already had this argument earlier in the thread?
Maybe it should be moved into FYM
Old 02-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #185
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:23 PM
I for one love Lady Ga Ga.

I think she has all the tallent in the world. Love her
Old 02-28-2010, 02:56 AM   #186
45:33

Local Time: 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
NO ONE commented on this? I'm ashamed.
LOL! what an oversight.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #187
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:23 AM
1. What do you guys think of Speechless? I just listened to Der Fame Munster for the first time since I stole it borrowed it from the webs last year, and that track really stood out. The melody, the instrumentation, the production.

2. Telephone is pretty cool, but what the hell is Beyonce doing here? She doesn't do anything. Don't be so generous, Gaga. Keep all the songs for yourself.

3. I can't believe I like this crazy broad as much as I do considering what I thought of her when she first showed up on the scene.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #188
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
2. Telephone is pretty cool, but what the hell is Beyonce doing here? She doesn't do anything. Don't be so generous, Gaga. Keep all the songs for yourself.
I haven't heard that one, but it might be a cousin of the Beyoncé number Videophone. That one features Lady Gaga, but I thought her contribution was quite minimal there.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #189
Blue Crack Distributor

Yeah, they did a little trade-off with those songs. Each has a small bit on the other's. The only difference? "Telephone" kicks "Video Phone"'s ass five ways from Sunday.

I'm not usually a big fan of ballads amongst my pop loves, but "Speechless" is good.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #190
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:23 AM
I love "Speechless". Beautiful lyrics and instrumentation. She's amazing. I liked "Telephone" and "Videophone". I'm not a huge Beyonce fan, but I like some of her singles.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #191
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:23 AM
apart from the truly horrible, horrible beyonce rap in telephone it's a great song.

so happy i could die is awesome.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #192
Refugee

Local Time: 11:23 PM
CONFIRMED: I will be seeing Lady Gaga in Brisbane. Wow, I'm gonna be so fucked up.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #193
The Male

I intend to see Gaga at Lolla. I'm way more excited about this prospect than you would think. Though I struggle listening to pop music on my own time, crowds can truly ignite it. There's something contagious about the enthusiasm of tens of thousands of people.

Now.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:20 AM   #194
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:23 AM
Well, she's not officially announced for Lolla yet. But, yeah, all signs point to her being there. I'd love to see that show as well, and probably will.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #195
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:23 AM
i'm seeing her sunday in auckland. i should not be as excited as i am.

Tags
lady gaga