Kurt Vile's Smoke Ring For My Halo makes my ears smile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
This is a very nice album, and deserving of it's own thread. A lot of reviews seem to label him as some sort of "lo-fi bedroom rock". I'm not sure if that really explains the sound, but I like I like the description none the less. The album is admittedly on the "night time listening" or "relaxing" side of things, but that can be a good thing depending on your tastes. I recommend it, it's a really nice listen. Been enjoying it a lot the last week or two.

I knew a few of us here are fans, and hopefully more will give it a try. For those who are fans, what are your favorite songz and such?

Saw him walking around, a few weeks ago. Said hello and congratulated him on yet another good LP. Good dude, good tunes.

I saw a live video of him on something and it was alright. Didn't inspire me to listen to his album. Maybe this thread will?

Just finished up a second listen and I feel the same way I did after the first. This album is expremely pleasant, great for reading to or just relaxing with. It has a tendancy to feel a bit repetitve/samey, but mostly each song is part of a wonderful larger whole.

Are his other albums worth checking out? Scores on RYM would suggest so.

I'd like to reiterate again how nice I think this album is. Jesus Fever is fine, but seems really out of place though. Puppet to the Man is out of place as well, but a much better song, so it doesn't bother me. Jesus Fever bothers me. Everything else is great.

I haz classez today!1

The new song shows off everything I love about Kurt Vile already. Great guitar work, awesome don't-give-a-fuck vocal delivery. Might as well pencil this one in near the top of my 2013 list now.

I was really impressed with how good he was live. The show was even at an outdoor venue, which can often be problematic, but everything was great.

Good to know :up:
What do you think of his other albums? I've only heard Childish Prodigy, a bit more rough and raw perhaps than Smoke Ring, but good nonetheless.

Good to know :up:
What do you think of his other albums? I've only heard Childish Prodigy, a bit more rough and raw perhaps than Smoke Ring, but good nonetheless.

I "think" (can't remember) I listened to Childish Prodigy once on Spotify, but I may even be making that up. Nothing else aside from Smoke Ring and the following EP. I've wondered about his other stuff too though. Have you checked it out, LemeL? I believe Shouter had, but not sure if he's lurking to weigh in.

I listened to Wakin on a Pretty Day. It was quite pleasant and good.

2 maek up for my bad wurds to u2popmofo

wii r frenz agin

I listened to Childish Prodigy last night, but it didn't seem as immediate to me as Smoke Ring. It was OK. I wanted something that rocked just a little bit more, so I'll dig deeper into the lo-fi early stuff now.

Walkin on a Pretty Daze is pretty much the title track 11 times, which means it's one of the better albums I've heard this year.

Back
Top Bottom