Kurt Vile's Smoke Ring For My Halo makes my ears smile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Giving Walkin On a Pretty Daze a first listen here at work, but, the problem is, I keep relistening to Was All Talk and am not progressing past it. What a wonderful song.

I'm not even bothered by the fact that the title track seems never ending. Such an awesome song.

I gave the album another few listens at work today, I really really like it. Between this, Savages, Daughter and the Foals album, have listened to some good new stuff the last week or two. THANK YOU B&C/RMT, YOU'RE MORE THAN JUST HIPSTERS TO ME.

He did some acoustic set in Philly that you can stream here:

XPN Media Player

Vile set list:

"Hunchback"
"Wakin on a Pretty Day"
"Peeping Tomboy"
"Baby's Arms"
"Goldtone"

Sat-Jun-29 New York, NY 4 Knots Festival

Fri-Jul-05 Montreal, QUE Le Mondial Lotto Quebec - Centre De La Nature

Sun-Jul-07 Toronto, ON Toronto Urban Roots Festival

Tue-Jul-09 Cleveland, OH Grog Shop
Wed-Jul-10 Detroit, MI Magic Stick
Thu-Jul-11 Chicago, IL Metro
Fri-Jul-12 Indianapolis, IN The Vogue Theater
Sat-Jul-13 Louisville, KY Forecastle Music Festival
Sun-Jul-14 Nashville, TN Mercy Lounge
Mon-Jul-15 Birmingham, AL The Bottletree
Tue-Jul-16 Atlanta, GA Terminal West
Wed-Jul-17 Asheville, NC The Grey Eagle
Thu-Jul-18 Carrboro, NC Cats Cradle
Fri-Jul-19 Charlottesville, VA Jefferson Theatre
Sat-Jul-20 Washington, DC 9:30 Club

Sat-Jul-27 Edmonton, AB Interstellar Rodeo
Sun-Jul-28 Calgary, AB Calgary Folk Music Festival

Fri-Aug-02 Happy Valley, OR Pickathon *Please list all dates for now, will only play two
Sat-Aug-03 Happy Valley, OR Pickathon
Sun-Aug-04 Happy Valley, OR Pickathon
Mon-Aug-05 Seattle, WA The Showbox at the Market
Tue-Aug-06 Vancouver, BC Rickshaw Theater

Fri-Aug-9 San Francisco, CA Outside Lands *Please list all dates for now, will only play one
Sat-Aug-10 San Francisco, CA Outside Lands
Sun-Aug-11 San Francisco, CA Outside Lands

Tue-Aug-13 Salt Lake City, UT Urban Lounge
Thu-Aug-15 Denver, CO Bluebird Café
Fri-Aug-16 Lawrence, KS The Granada
Sat-Aug-17 St. Louis, MO Firebird

Mon-Aug-19 Dallas, TX Trees
Tue-Aug-20 Austin, TX Mohawk (Outside)

Fri-Aug-23 Albuquerque, NM Sister
Sat-Aug-24 Pheonix, AZ Crescent Ballroom
Sun-Aug-25 Los Angeles, CA FYF Fest

Thu-Sep-05 Raleigh, NC Hopscotch Music Festival *Please list all dates for now, will only play one
Fri-Sep-06 Raleigh, NC Hopscotch Music Festival
Sat-Sep-07 Raleigh, NC Hopscotch Music Festival

Sat-Oct-12 Mexico City, MEX Corona Capital Music Festival

Supporting The Black Keys 7/5
Swirlies supporting 7/9-7/12 & 7/14-7/20

An EP (and a deluxe version of the album that includes the EP as a second disc) are releasing on November 19th via Matador Records. Here's info on the EP:

Between genre/era/lifetime-defining full lengths, Kurt Vile has made a name for himself with limited vinyl edition EPs.

The it's a big world out there (and i am scared) 12" continues this tradition with its inclusion of "Never Run Away" from 2013's breakthrough LP, Wakin On A Pretty Daze - this time with the beef'd up "string synth" version

The 12" also includes brand new tracks: the fingerpicked earworm "feel My Pain" and the bedroom psych moves of "the Ghost of Freddie Roach". Wakin standouts "snowflakes Are Falling" and "Air Bud" are also reprised here a "Snowflakes Extended" and "Wedding Budz", respectively.

Tracklisting:

1. Never Run Away (string synth)
2. NRA Reprise
3. Feel My Pain
4. Snowflakes Extended
5. Wedding Budz
6. The Ghost Of Freddie Roach
7. (reprise reprise)

ole-1045_kurt_vile-it_s_a_big_world_out_there_and_i_am_scared_.jpg

Lol iTunes. I don't even like paying 9 bucks for a digital whole album.

The ghost of Freddie Roach? :hmm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=659pppwniXA

5f30eab1.jpg

September 25th

A press release for the album features this statement from Kim Gordon:

Kurt does his own myth-making; a boy/man with an old soul voice in the age of digital everything becoming something else, which is why this focused, brilliantly clear and seemingly candid record is a breath of fresh air. Recorded and mixed in a number of locations, including Los Angeles and Joshua Tree, b'lieve i'm goin down... is a handshake across the country, east to west coast, thru the dustbowl history ("valley of ashes") of woody honest strait forward talk guthrie, and a cali canyon dead still nite floating in a nearly waterless landscape. The record is all air, weightless, bodyless, but grounded in convincing authenticity, in the best version of singer songwriter upcycling.

Bonus tracks "b'lieve i'm goin down" and "bad omens (no faders)" are available with iTunes and Amazon pre-orders only, while the deluxe triple-LP version features several other bonus tracks.

b'lieve i'm goin down...:

01 Pretty Pimpin
02 I'm an Outlaw
03 Dust Bunnies
04 That's Life, tho (almost hate to say)
05 Wheelhouse
06 Life Like This
07 All in a Daze Work
08 Lost My Head there
09 Stand Inside
10 Bad Omens
11 Kidding Around
12 Wild Imagination

Deluxe 3 LP Edition: believe I'm goin (deep) down...
13 Believe I'm Goin down
14 Less Talk (More Walkin Away) *
15 Nicotine Blues *
16 Bad Omens (No Faders) *
17 No Stranger to the Ball Bust *
18 Sax Omens (J Turbo) *

* deluxe 3xLP bonus tracks

Shit son. The second half of this year is amazing so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I've listened to the new song 4 times since last night. I like.

I just pre-ordered the album on iTunes because I'm a sucker for bonus tracks. At least I get an instant download of Pretty Pimpin.

I'm tempted to do the same. Retailer, or medium, specific bonus tracks is not pimpin or pretty though.

Just finished an immensely underwhelming first listen. Full disclosure: Wakin on a Pretty Daze is the only thing I've fully heard of his, and I absolutely adore it, still listen to it or songs from it on a regular basis, so I was very excited for this album.

The first half is pretty good - That's Life, Tho was the pick of the bunch for me on first listen (probably because it's a Too Hard rewrite), though Pretty Pimpin and Dust Bunnies are both real good and Life Like This is great, sort of like Iggy Pop's Success after an overdose of Stilnox.

Then I went to fix myself another drink and came back for the second half. My god what an absolute drag. The six songs felt like they went on for about three hours. All in a Daze Work is not bad but it does not earn its five-minute run-time and the rest of the tracks all follow a very similar pattern. A massive disappointment. Wild Imagination would be a nice closer if the songs preceding hadn't already ruined things. It went on much longer and I'd have gotten Stockholm syndrome.

Hopefully it grows on me but if nothing else it will make my love for Wakin increase tenfold.

Back
Top Bottom