Kurt Vile's Smoke Ring For My Halo makes my ears smile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In light of that review, I want to reiterate that I'm very fond of the new album, albeit a tiny bit less so than Smoke Ring and Wakin. I thought the introduction of piano was a great idea and he seems to be gaining confidence as a lyricist.

And I guess we'll just have to completely disagree because That's Life Tho was my least favorite song on the album. Slow, clunky, never really hits any kind of stride. The chorus is straight up bad. Wheelhouse and Pretty Pimpin though :heart:

Last edited:
The piano was a great addition but he just doesn't do anything remotely interesting with it for 85 per cent of the record.

But it'll grow on me, I hope. That's if I survive the night, djerdap might kill me for posting a first-listen review

Whatever you may feel about the new album, do not let that deter you from listening to Smoke Ring. I hear it can make your ears smile.

Seriously though, one of the best albums of 2011 and I've been on the bandwagon ever since. Baby's Arms and Jesus Fever are superb songs.

I've listened to the album quite a few times in the background. It's great in that regard but that also means that I haven't found any stand-outs so far. It's just a nice relaxing listen for me. Not that that says anything about the music per se. It probably says more about my willingness to concentrate on this kind of laid-back music.

I'm An Outlaw is fantastic. Anyone who disagrees is a poo poo head and/or bum bum face.

Loving "That's Life Tho" absolute pearler of a song, feels extremely intimate, like he is sitting in the room chatting with you, such is his excellence at writing conversationally.

"Pretty Pimpin" will hopefully be regarded as one of the Singles of the Year.

Few clunkers, especially "Stand Inside" but overall, pretty swell.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

DepecheModeViolator.jpg

Back
Top Bottom