Kurt Vile's Smoke Ring For My Halo makes my ears smile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure he's a great guy, but I think I'll pass on this. Sorry, I already have my copies of Wowee Zowee and Terror Twilight.

He is a Pavement fan from what I've read, but it's honestly not a comparison I've noticed. There's definitely a similarity in the tone on the riff in the first track of the new album (he's apparently big fan of steel string / fingerstyle guitar stuff), but that's pretty much where it ends. I usually compare him more to his other influences, Neil Young, Springsteen, Tom Petty, etc. Sort of a roots rock / Americana type vibe, with a lofi / modern sound. I actually think his stuff might be up your alley.

Yeah as a fan of both I don't hear the comparison. The production and overall vibe is totally different. GAF might also be the first person I've seen make that connection.

Reminds me of arguing with Jive about Lotus Plaza/Stone Roses. Comparisons like that can be crazy subjective.

Yeah, it happens. I still think GAF might dig some of his other stuff though, seems like something he might like.

Apparently even Spin Magazine gave the album a 9/10. Didn't realize he'd become so popular.

This is either something pleasant I listened to once, enjoyed, but never go back to. Or it's something I'll play the hell out of for the next few weeks. I haven't really decided. Either way would be because it's so incredibly familiar-sounding. Which means I love it, or I don't feel like I need to hear it anymore. I'm not too sure. It's good, at any rate.

Wakin. I was going to listen to smoke ring when it came out, or maybe I did check out a little and don't really remember it (I remember meaning to listen to it).

This album is great. How often do you find an album that's 70 minutes long and every song on it is good?

I wasn't too high on Smoke Ring, but if the lead track from Wakin is any indication, I'm going to like this new one quite a bit.

Have you listened to the rest of it yet, iYup?

Not yet. Just got my copy today, so I'll probably get to it this weekend. I've been looking back through the Flaming Lips' catalogue now that I heard and tried to digest The Terror.

Got to Too Hard before I was rudely interrupted by arriving at work. Loved everything. An edit on some songs would be great, but it's not a big deal. Will delete my illegal copy and go buy the real thing.

Yeah, this is really, really good. I don't think it sounds like Pavement much. Bit of Lou Reed about his vocals. It's a similar record to Spooky Action at a Distance in a lot of ways, particularly in the way the guitars and drums just seem to drift in an effortless sort of way. (And he sounds a lot like Lockett Pundt at times.) Really layered. Just aural bliss. Really like the lyrics too, there's a good balance between navel-gazing and positive stuff, and a fair bit of humour as well.

My favourite tracks so far are Wakin on a Pretty Day, Too Hard, Air Bud and Goldtone, but there certainly aren't any bad ones.

Title track, KV Crimes, Was All Talk, Never Run Away, Shame Chamber, and Snowflakes Are Dancing are my favs.

How great is Too Hard?

I think mikal would really like this album. I wish he was still around. I know he said a couple of obnoxious things but he is a good bloke. Edit, did he get banned?? His name doesn't come up when you search members and I can't send him a PM :(

He was just posting regularly on the boards a couple of weeks ago. And his name totally comes up when you search members. Try again.

Back
Top Bottom